General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gimmefttp
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-19 20:07:25
Print Post

FTTP Duct 25/17 - New Driveway

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm in the process of having a new driveway laid and as I would like/hope to get real fibre to the premise at some time in the next 5 years (the sooner the better!) I plan on putting in duct from the pavement to the property in preparation.

Now this is where the fun begins - I have read the Openreach documentation (various) which seems to suggest "Duct 25/17" should be used for FTTP between the pavement and property. The problem is I cannot find a single supplier online who actually sells the stuff!!

54mm & 96mm duct seems readily available however - would it be a problem if I laid 54mm with drawer rope in the future? Is 54mm fine?

Thanks!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jan-19 21:04:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP Duct 25/17 - New Driveway

[re: gimmefttp] [link to this post]

Duct 54 is what Openreach would install .. use that.

As you say, fit a draw rope too, and block either end with something like rolled up plastic bags.

Make sure you clearly mark where the duct reaches the pavement line.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 21:35:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Duct 54 is what Openreach would install .. use that.

Duct 56 is what Openreach would install. Which confusingly is 54mm diameter. Duct 54 is obviously 96mm crazy

Google Duct56 and you will find a supplier.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-19 21:36:50
Print Post

Is this for an existing property with an existing copper feed? If so, how does the copper enter your property? Where possible Openreach will try to utilize the same route to bring fibre into the property, at least that's what was done for my property when I had FTTPoD installed - both fibre and copper share the same u/g duct.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User gimmefttp
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-19 08:39:08
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yes existing property with copper feed - however the copper feed is underground (sounds like yours is too?) encased in black plastic tube rather than grey duct (it's a 1960's property) so I doubt they could do anything with that short of digging it up which is exactly what I want to avoid!

Interesting to hear from someone who's actually got FTTP though - thanks!
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Thu 10-Jan-19 15:51:18
Print Post

i used 25mm black waterpipe, ie the black version of blue mdpe pipe and OR didnt bat an eyelid about putting the fibre cable through it

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/water-s...

the same stuff with a yellow stripe is also what OR use and you can join it using the fittings for mdpe pipe (dont use the inserts)

Edited by threelegs (Thu 10-Jan-19 15:54:00)

Print Thread

Jump to