General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tentimes
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-19 15:00:01
Print Post

FTTP build costs?

[link to this post]

Has anyone any examples of build costs for FTTP? I was told by Zen that BT would do a survey and then if the build costs was less than £1000 I would not have to pay it. More than that and I would have to agree to the build cost.

I live in a detached property (built in 2000) that has already had a 2nd line easily installed from the street. I was hoping this maybe meant that there is an access route underground and that means I will not have to have a lot of work done?

If I had to pay for the build then I wouldn't go for it. I am noticing there seem to be a lot of recent changes to policy by Openreach on the builds and would love to know if there was somewhere to get up to date information on all this as information seems hard to comeby,
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-19 16:15:54
Print Post

Re: FTTP build costs?

[re: tentimes] [link to this post]

Enter your address here:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

Can you post the results here removing your phone number or address.

Does it show FTTPoD as available?

I fear you might have been misled.
The £1000 being covered is only if your property is already within reach of WBC FTTP.

If it isn't you can order FTTPoD (On Demand) but it can cost considerably more than £1000.
Standard User tentimes
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-19 16:33:08
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

It shows as available "WBC FTTP". It does not list FTTPoD.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-19 16:36:49
Print Post

Excellent.

At the bottom it will say something about Overground/underground feed, and any anticipated issues.

Excess construction charges are rare on WBC FTTP.
Simply place an order and let the ISP/OpenReach do their thing.

You will be informed if there is to be any charges before any work goes ahead. It sounds very unlikely from your initial comments.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 10-Jan-19 16:38:50)

Standard User tentimes
(newbie) Thu 10-Jan-19 16:45:34
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies so far. I am just on my phone at the moment so can't post the full result (with reduction) practically. But maybe if I can do so later you can take a look? 😀 They say UG feed not evaluated but I have already had a 2nd line installed and it seemed at the time he fed that ug?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jan-19 17:01:03
Print Post

'feed not evaluated' obviously means someone from Openreach will need to come out and take a look. Your copper has nothing to do with the fibre, the fibre will come from a Distribution Point (DP). How far away this is located and what (if any) obstructions are in the way will determine if you are charged or not. TBH if your fibre DP is underground then you're probably ok as I don't think Openreach charge for blocked ducts. If there aren't any O/H poles in your area then its almost certain the fibre DP will be U/G.

You may find BT Retail have a higher cut-off ceiling wrt being charged for FTTP excess costs, so it might be worth placing an order with them instead of Zen to minimize the risk of being charged ECCs. Obviously BT are a lot bigger than Zen hence they can take a bigger hit up to a limit of course.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 10-Jan-19 17:04:34)

Standard User bedrock
(member) Thu 10-Jan-19 18:48:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

What type of evaluation do Openreach actually do? Checker still says 'underground feed not evaluated' for me, my FTTP connection went live in November. I never worried about any excess charges, just ordered through BT retail.

BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jan-19 19:13:11
Print Post

[re: bedrock] [link to this post]

I imagine its an Openreach Surveyor who goes out & checks if the route is clear between the user's property and the fibre DP. Your property on the checker should have been updated to "no anticipated issues" after your had FTTP installed but I guess Openreach forgot to update this section for your line. Not a big deal though. This is what appears for my FTTP line:

https://i.postimg.cc/BbQ8Cy4N/dsl-checker.jpg

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 10-Jan-19 19:13:45)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Thu 10-Jan-19 20:17:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I imagine its an Openreach Surveyor who goes out & checks if the route is clear between the user's property and the fibre DP. Your property on the checker should have been updated to "no anticipated issues" after your had FTTP installed but I guess Openreach forgot to update this section for your line. Not a big deal though. This is what appears for my FTTP line:

https://i.postimg.cc/BbQ8Cy4N/dsl-checker.jpg

Does that mean you could actually get the 1000 / 220 service should you want it.

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Fri 11-Jan-19 07:32:33)

Standard User SJHambly
(learned) Thu 10-Jan-19 20:22:01
Print Post

Ours eventually updated to:-

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Proven Clear.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

We've had FTTP for a year this month. Our copper line was directly laid in the ground so a new duct had to be dug from the road to our house across our front lawn, alongside the existing copper which was undisturbed. The digging was done incredibly conscientiously by Openreach and was almost invisible immediately after they finished (and certainly was soon after).

No excess construction charges for any of our deployment (40 houses) as far as I am aware. Some were underground, some above ground as the main road (above) was different to our close (under). Most under-ground homes needed new duct except a couple who had had new copper lines in the last decade or so, who'd got ducted then.

Simon

Edited by SJHambly (Thu 10-Jan-19 20:22:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to