General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mangy_Dog
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-19 12:20:44
Print Post

Utter nightmare! Line fault - Sky wont do anything!

[link to this post]

Ill try and explain this as best as I can...

With Fibre tier 1 on Sky (40 down 7 up), I live out in rural Norfolk, its a sparse village, Fibre was installed in the area just over 2 years ago now, and up until last November its been fantastic.

Until i started to get modem disconnections... This is an intermittent fault. Some days it works perfectly fine. Some days it drops connection every 5 minutes. Today is about once an hour...

Now I've been having a absolute nightmare with Sky "tech support" Ive been on the phone maybe 2 dozen times since this has started. Ive had 6 Openreach engineers round. But each time they come the Line magically becomes stable during the visit., Literally when the Openreach engineer left yesterday the line started dropping again 5 minutes after.

Now the engineers cant find any faults... and Sky are now basically washing there hands of me all theyre offering is to let me leave Sky... rather than go any further to actually fix the problem.

They have NOT asked for an SFI2 engineer. Though they did apparently request 1 REINs engineer but Openreach blocked that, when I ask them to send an SFI2 team to check my line at every point they said they wont do that... As im fibre not standard BB...

My first gripe. Sky Tech support are nothing but bearly trained monkeys reading scripts on the screen and its utterly infuriating having to explain the fault every single fooooofing time to some one who is utterly clueless...

Ive even had 1 "support agent" tell me its a wifi problem and I should change channels because Im in a congested area... This is after me explaining to the person Im looking at the routers logs and I can clearly see it disconnecting from the DSLAM, and apart from that. Im personally on the wired network and live in a rural area where Im the only wifi within range. They still insisted its a wifi issue. *sigh*

I have been lied to multiple times by tech support and even more recently by the complaints agent, they said in there logs they cant see any instability, even though I've already had one teir2 suport agent tell me they can see it... Ive also personally seen the openreach stability chart showing my instability problems.

So yeah At one point Sky did put in the notes to do a Port change "lift and shift" and the openreach engineer said no... No faults detected so they wont do it.

All Sky are offering now Is i stay with them and just accept the fault. Or leave Sky...

Its not an option its a sodding gun point ultimatum...

Now Im not rich, I went with Sky because of the good price and because the network was formally Bethere* who I was with long ago...

But if money was no object Ill be with Zen...

Anyway, i dont know what to do. Im currently stuck with this fault, ive read that a few others been through this nightmare, an almost identical fault and useless sky support...

For those that had this intermittent fault... Did you get it fixed? What was it in the end?

help frown I really am at my whits end.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 12-Jan-19 13:32:02
Print Post

Re: Utter nightmare! Line fault - Sky wont do anything!

[re: Mangy_Dog] [link to this post]

I'd take them up on their offer. Find another ISP, there are some decent offers and use cashback as well. Start afresh. Some ISPs seem reluctant to raise SFI faults
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Jan-19 14:00:23
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Though itís just a technicality, an Openreach SFI task is for standard ADSL only ...

The task Sky needs to raising is a Super Fast Visit Assured.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(learned) Sat 12-Jan-19 16:06:25
Print Post

Don't get me started on Sky's handling of tricky broadband issues frown
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sat 12-Jan-19 16:15:28
Print Post

What other ISP's are in your area?

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 12-Jan-19 16:16:04)

Standard User Mangy_Dog
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-19 19:12:18
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

most of the usual... Zen included... but money and who to go with is a deciding factor... obviously talk talk and talk to my butt! BT can [censored] right off for the way they treated my mum when she died from cancer. And Plusnet want to charge extra for being in a rural area...

Sky really were the best option I had :/ shame there support suck so badly...
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sat 12-Jan-19 20:12:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mangy_Dog:
obviously talk talk and talk to my butt!

Unless you have had a bad experience with TalkTalk FTTC do not rule them out there is as a lot of the negative stuff you hear and read is from band wagon jumping trolls and its BS, have a read of this thread you might be pleasantly surprised.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/f/4600447-...

Standard User j0el
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-19 12:04:58
Print Post

Having a read through, I was going to suggest following their complaints procedure but it looks like you may have already done that seeing as you've mentioned a "complaints agent".

I do have a suggestion for you, which I understand may not be ideal and probably not the only option, and that is to migrate to AAISP as they say "we'll fix your line" as stated here. I understand it may be a costly option but if you are left with no choice and you absolutely sure that the problem is outside of your control then you could take this option and migrate out once it is fixed (or even stay if you can afford the service). You could even migrate back to Sky with cashback offers if you so wished.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-19 12:40:06
Print Post

[re: j0el] [link to this post]

Not a fan of this suggestion popping up on every thread, especially threads where the OP states they would love to move to Zen but can't afford it.

If the can't afford Zen then they definitely won't (or can't) pay AAISP prices.

AAISP also aren't magic. They may keep pushing OpenReach more than the average ISP but they get treated the exact same as any other ISP.
The OP has had multiple OpenReach visits and every time the line passes any tests.
AAISP wouldn't make a blind bit of difference in those circumstances.

It's a valid suggestion when the OP asks what can I do here and doesn't mention price, but if they specifically say they can't afford a more expensive ISP then suggesting 1 of the most expensive residential ISP's may be an attempt to be helpful but it's rude.

Not everyone has money to burn.
Standard User j0el
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-19 13:22:14
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Not a fan of this suggestion popping up on every thread, especially threads where the OP states they would love to move to Zen but can't afford it.

While you're not a fan of the suggestion and I can see the reason to why, I have made this suggestion though quite reluctantly. I have held off making this suggestion until today to give a little time for other responses as I had forseen there being at least one critic of it.

It's a valid suggestion when the OP asks what can I do here and doesn't mention price, but if they specifically say they can't afford a more expensive ISP then suggesting 1 of the most expensive residential ISP's may be an attempt to be helpful but it's rude.

I don't know to what degree they can or can't afford connectivity or my suggestion in specific, and quite frankly it's none of my business. It was suggested with the best intention and they can decide on whether they can or cannot afford such an suggestion given it has been provided to them.

AAISP also aren't magic. They may keep pushing OpenReach more than the average ISP but they get treated the exact same as any other ISP.
The OP has had multiple OpenReach visits and every time the line passes any tests.
AAISP wouldn't make a blind bit of difference in those circumstances.

With all considered then, the OP may be best to try and follow the complaints procedure of Sky and potentially even email the CEO of Openreach seeing as multiple visits have yielded no positive results.

I will add that I have had a similar experience many years ago on ADSL. The fault would present itself anywhere from early morning until evening with a complete barrage of CRC and ES for hours but whenever Openreach came out it would almost magically just return to normal and results would return OK. It took many visits before they decided to swap out the D-Side as far as I can remember.

I will not post in this topic again as I can assist no further.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to