General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MarkA67
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-19 15:47:51
Print Post

Do you think everyone will be switched to the fibre cabs?

[link to this post]

Do you think there will ever come a time where ADSL subscribers are all connected up to the FTTC cabs? Obviously, people on ADSL at present are paying for an upto 11Mb service (or whatever their providers average ADSL speeds are). But ADSL supports upto 24Mb/1.3Mb (24Mb/2.5Mb for Annex M) yet very few get anywhere near this.

Do you think that maybe in the coming years, especially once the 10Mb USO comes in, that rather than subscribe to either an ADSL or fibre based service, that everyone will be connected to the same infrastructure but only get the speeds they actually subscribe for? This would mean that if one person living opposite the exchange orders the ADSL speed package, and one person 2 miles away also orders the ADSL speed package, then they will both get pretty much the same speeds as the distance no longer factors into it
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 12-Jan-19 16:08:33
Print Post

Re: Do you think everyone will be switched to the fibre cabs

[re: MarkA67] [link to this post]

No, never.

In some areas this would require 3 or 4 FTTC cabinets for a single PCP.

This would mean that if one person living opposite the exchange orders the ADSL speed package, and one person 2 miles away also orders the ADSL speed package, then they will both get pretty much the same speeds as the distance no longer factors into it
©

I think you misunderstand how the technology works.
There can never be a situation where everyone who orders ADSL will get the same speed.
It's entirely distance related.

Even if they ran it from FTTC cabinets there are still people who live miles from the nearest cabinet.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sat 12-Jan-19 16:10:28
Print Post

Re: Do you think everyone will be switched to the fibre cabs *DELETED*

Post deleted by Chippy_Tea_

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Jan-19 17:04:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by MarkA67:
Do you think there will ever come a time where ADSL subscribers are all connected up to the FTTC cabs? Obviously, people on ADSL at present are paying for an upto 11Mb service (or whatever their providers average ADSL speeds are). But ADSL supports upto 24Mb/1.3Mb (24Mb/2.5Mb for Annex M) yet very few get anywhere near this.

One problem is that it would require the ISPs with their own ADSL equipment to agree to discontinue its use.

Do you think that maybe in the coming years, especially once the 10Mb USO comes in, that rather than subscribe to either an ADSL or fibre based service, that everyone will be connected to the same infrastructure but only get the speeds they actually subscribe for? This would mean that if one person living opposite the exchange orders the ADSL speed package, and one person 2 miles away also orders the ADSL speed package, then they will both get pretty much the same speeds as the distance no longer factors into it
FTTP customers can connect at the speed they order. DSL customers will always suffer from the laws of physics which lead to a detioration of signal quality the longer the line.

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Jan-19 17:38:56
Print Post

Obviously, people on ADSL at present are paying for an upto 11Mb service (or whatever their providers average ADSL speeds are).

Irrespective of provider, those on an ADSL2+ service will be on an up to 24 Mb/s service, NOT up to 11 Mbps or whatever the ISP's marketing blurb. The fact that many people don't get the full 24 Mb/s is down to the fact that not everyone lives next to an exchange and hence ISPs have no control over where people live.

But ADSL supports upto 24Mb/1.3Mb (24Mb/2.5Mb for Annex M) yet very few get anywhere near this.

Again, sync rates on ADSL2+ depend on distance to exchange. Re: ADSL2+ Annex M, you can get such services, they are mainly sold by Business CPs such as TalkTalk Business, BT Business etc

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Phicomm K3

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 12-Jan-19 20:41:03)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Jan-19 18:12:12
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
No, never.

In some areas this would require 3 or 4 FTTC cabinets for a single PCP.

This would mean that if one person living opposite the exchange orders the ADSL speed package, and one person 2 miles away also orders the ADSL speed package, then they will both get pretty much the same speeds as the distance no longer factors into it
©

I think you misunderstand how the technology works.
There can never be a situation where everyone who orders ADSL will get the same speed.
It's entirely distance related.

Even if they ran it from FTTC cabinets there are still people who live miles from the nearest cabinet.
No, I think you've misunderstood what the OP is asking. I think they suggesting if it were to happen and both customers were allowed to remain on the same 'Up to 24Mb/s' package as they are now then both of them would see a speed of 24Mb/s. And they are right. As to whether such a package would be allowed to exist that's another matter.

However what I think is a more likely scenario is that if/when all copper line based services are withdrawn legacy packages will be too. I'd assume that those on an 'up to 24Mb/s' would get a free upgrade to a 50Mb/s service. Or, considering how far away this scenario is, a 100Mb/s service.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 12-Jan-19 18:14:30)

Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 12-Jan-19 18:24:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In what way are they right?

Are you suggesting everyone on FTTC gets 24Mb/s or if everyone was served by ADSL2+ from an FTTC cabinet they would get 24Mb/s?

Neither is true.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Jan-19 20:27:11
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
In what way are they right?

Are you suggesting everyone on FTTC gets 24Mb/s or if everyone was served by ADSL2+ from an FTTC cabinet they would get 24Mb/s?

Neither is true.
No, I'm not suggesting that. I'm talking about what might happen to ADSL2+ hold-outs if/when they are forced onto a technology that can offer higher speeds. That's never going to happen with FTTC but will eventually happen with FTTP.

As I wrote, I suspect the answer is that they are forced onto a better package for free, but if not then, yes, they could all suddenly get 24Mb/s.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 12-Jan-19 20:40:55)

Standard User Garlic
(learned) Sun 13-Jan-19 11:30:17
Print Post

Ultimately all ADSL will be turned off. Perhaps as early as 2025 when IP comes in. Its all int he roadmaps for both OR and Ofcom its just a matter of time.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-19 11:56:20
Print Post

I don't know how many are left on adsl services. Vdsl2 cabs do have a 18/2 service which is meant to cover those who are on adsl and do not want 40mbits.

But you are talking about the future. I can only see G.fast and full fibre being the long term from openreach. It would be stupid long term to support a mixture of copper and fibre last mile.

How we get there is another matter

The 10Mbits uso, is something that in many ways serves (long term) no purpose. It does right now, in that it resolves service providers to fix poor broadband areas. But just how many are left under 10mbits.

Full fibre allows 30/60/100/250mbit services to be just that - as advertised and delivered to the end point (minus contention and congestion) (and yes i know gpon and xgpon have inbuilt contention).

The future is not adsl or vdsl though. And g.fast will be a legacy product within 5 to 7 years
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to