General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jparnell82
(regular) Wed 23-Jan-19 21:52:04
Print Post

Is g.fast a possibility with these stats?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I've noticed g.fast pods have started popping up in Exmouth. Obviously I have no idea when they'll go live but just wondering with my current FTTC stats if its something i will be able to consider in the future as i've read its limited to a fairly small distance. I estimate my connection is a minimum of 320m from house to cabinet based on google maps,

Here are my stats from my home hub:

Data rate:
20.00 Mbps / 61.30 Mbps
Maximum data rate:
20805 / 61263
Noise margin:
6 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation:
12.8 dB

Openreach ADSL check has the following so suggests it's under performing anyway? I've checked everything i can do in terms of internal wiring, test socket etc etc.

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 68.7 20 19 62.8 Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 67.2 20 19 60.6 Available -- --
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Wed 23-Jan-19 22:02:16
Print Post

Re: Is g.fast a possibility with these stats?

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

Your synch rate is below the handback threshold, have you asked your ISP to investigate?
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Wed 23-Jan-19 22:06:08
Print Post

I'd be very surprised if you can get G.Fast.

If you don't currently get the full 80Mb then in the majority of cases G.Fast won't be available.

In some cases it may provide a small increase in downstream but a drop on upstream is expected.

edit: to add, my comments are based on your stats, not the estimates you provided.

I would follow advice of IanBB and contact your ISP about the low sync. They should send an engineer to investigate.

320m is still the far end of G.Fast at the current specs.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 23-Jan-19 22:12:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jparnell82
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-19 20:50:24
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Ok thanks. Understood. Just wondered if gfast would give me a bit of a boost.
There really won't be many houses that can get it my area in that case if it's that limited.

Regarding logging a call with my ISP (BT), do I just phone them and say I have spotted my sync is lower than the handback and want it investigated? Is there a risk I'll be charged? I'm confident I've ruled out wiring in the house.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Fri 25-Jan-19 20:56:40
Print Post

The handback is more a figure used between an ISP and OpenReach.

BT should have quoted you an estimated speed and a minimum figure when you joined/renewed. They usually email this figure. Your sync will be below this.

Just call them up and explain your sync speed is below the estimates.
As long as it isn't a wiring/hardware issue on your side of the master socket you won't be charged for any engineer visit.

The best way to rule out your writing is connecting directly to the test socket and see if there are any big changes in sync.
Standard User jparnell82
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-19 21:42:56
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Here's what I have dugout from my order email last year. So I'm above minimum but below the estimate. Still worth a go?

How fast will it be?
We estimate your download speed will be between 66Mbps and 80Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 19Mbps and 20Mbps.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 57Mbps.

We comply with the Ofcom Broadband Speeds Code of Practice. We'll always aim to give you the download speed shown, but if your actual speed is slower you should call us on 0800 111 4567 and we'll do our best to fix it. If we can't improve it and it stays that way, you'll be able to cancel your broadband contract without having to pay early termination charges.
  Print Thread

Jump to