General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-19 19:59:22
Print Post

new build - odd sockets

[link to this post]

My parents are moving in to a newly built block of flats. They are so new that paint is still wet in places.

What I don't quite understand is the socket arrangement and need some help please.

In each flat there's a stand-alone phone socket and, separately, a stand-alone RJ45 ethernet socket on the wall in the main living area. In the bedrooms there is only a phone socket.

Apparently this RJ45 socket is for Internet, but I don't understand how. The flats do not provide any sort of shared internet. You are expected to get your own phone line and internet sorted out.

It is definitely an RJ45 and not the smaller RJ whatever it is that you'd normally use to plug a router into a broadband filter or Socket 4/5.

For a while I entertained the idea that maybe there's FTTP, and there's a comms cupboard somewhere in the building and this socket is connected to something in that cupboard. But if there is then nobody there knows anything about it, and address checks on other flats within the building shows only FTTC available.

Having said that, the communal spaces in the building all have one or more RJ45 sockets too. These must all be connected into a patch panel somewhere, so there has to be a comms cupboard hidden somewhere. And I can't actually order broadband online for the flat in question, as it doesn't show up on BT's database (although three out of the 40 others do, and those were the ones I checked using the availability checker to see if FTTP might be available). The only way I've been able to may any progress is to actually call BT on the phone and explain it is a new-build.

Another thing that confuses me is the telephone socket itself. It isn't the usual BT master socket that I'm used to seeing. It looks like a totally standard type of almost flush-fit socket that you might buy for an extension. There is no hidden master socket - the flat is small and currently empty - there is nowhere to hide anything.

I would really appreciate some opinions on this. It is driving me potty. Obviously I'll find out one way or another when the engineer turns up to do the install - and the sales person I spoke to says they will need to send one - but I'd rather try to figure it out in advance if possible.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 09-Feb-19 20:02:29
Print Post

Re: new build - odd sockets

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

Is there a cupboard within the flat with a fuse box? If there is, is there a telephone socket there? I've seen developers putting the master socket in these cupboards, and then the RJ45 all feed into that and allow for good speeds throughout the premises.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-19 20:15:19
Print Post

I agree with Bryer. In the cupboard where the fuse board is would be the place to start.

I wonder if the developer has struck up with a supplier and the service is set up in the basement and shared out via ethernet from there to the flats ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 22:49:06
Print Post

The ethernet cabling *could* be there to support an altnet provider like HyperOptic, who bring in a single fibre connection and distribute it using ethernet inside the building. HyperOptic do work mainly with MDUs (flats). It's worth checking availability on their website, but depending on the location there are other small providers it might be.

It *could* be to connect to fibre ONTs held in a central comms cupboard.

It *could* just be there for future proofing smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Feb-19 23:16:18
Print Post

Can the selling agency tell you? I would have thought it would be in the "Sale Particulars" if there is an installed supply that just needs signing up to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 09-Feb-19 23:52:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by sfo32:
It is definitely an RJ45 and not the smaller RJ whatever it is that you'd normally use to plug a router into a broadband filter or Socket 4/5.

The OpenReach MK2/MK3/MK4 filtered faceplates actually have RJ45 ports.
It's just that ISP's tend to supply RJ11 to RJ11 patch cables and an RJ11 jack will fit into an RJ45 socket.

It's possible there's an ONT situated somewhere in the property for FTTP.
If that's the case then you can simply connect a router to the RJ45 wall socket.

It may be in the basement if it's Hyperoptic. They then feed Ethernet to your property.
Standard User dect
(member) Sun 10-Feb-19 17:32:00
Print Post

It isn't the usual BT master socket that I'm used to seeing. It looks like a totally standard type of almost flush-fit socket that you might buy for an extension. There is no hidden master socket
Could you upload a picture of the two sockets?
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Mon 11-Feb-19 16:49:24
Print Post

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it.

I think we may be getting close to an answer. I finally got through to someone at BT, who stated that there is FTTP at the premises.

I asked how confident they were, and they said 100%. They had no doubt, and that I could order the 330 option if I wanted to. And I would if it was for me, but not for my parents.

Anyway...it requires an engineer install, apparently, which is a good sign. Engineer turning up next week, so we'll see.

Just a quick explainer though -- this is a block of flats run by a charity. They are all rented. It is difficult to explain without going into details that I would rather avoid. There are building managers who are lovely but not at all technical.
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Thu 14-Feb-19 21:36:22
Print Post

I spoke too soon. My head is going to explode soon!

I noticed an oddity on the order that eventually arrived by email (it talked about taking over an existing broadband connection rather than a new supply thereof), and so I called BT up to ask about it. The person I spoke to said the order was a mess, did not have the correct full address, didn't have any billing info, and would have failed to progress.

She then cancelled that order and we tried again. Except now it is 100% absolutely not FTTP. Only FTTC is available according to this sales rep. So I asked her to check again, and explained the sockets and what the other rep had said. But she was certain -- no FTTP. She also pointed out that the previous sales rep had made a huge mess of the order, so I should not trust what she said. (wow -- claws out, eh?).

And worse still, rather than an engineer arriving next week, now I can't get one for three weeks.

The stupidity doesn't stop there. I received an email saying that the hub for the cancelled order had gone out, then literally 1 minute later another email saying I had to return it.

It is one big dog's breakfast. Serves me right for thinking BT was most likely to get it right, which is why I chose them to start with.

Anyway, I've looked again for a Master socket and there isn't one. Nothing near the fuse box or anywhere else. There are only four "rooms" (inc bathroom) and two cupboards. There's nowhere else for it to be hidden.

I will get to the bottom of this or die trying.... smile
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Thu 14-Feb-19 21:47:07
Print Post

Anyway, I've looked again for a Master socket and there isn't one. Nothing near the fuse box or anywhere else. There are only four "rooms" (inc bathroom) and two cupboards. There's nowhere else for it to be hidden.

In a block of flats, it's possible there is a central, shared utilities cupboard, locked and only accessible to the building manager. It could be in the basement, for example.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to