General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(experienced) Sun 10-Feb-19 20:54:21
Print Post

Google Micro Trenching.

[link to this post]

Chucking shallow stuff directly in the ground with no duct or subduct always ends in tears. Google just shut down one of it's deployments.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/...

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Feb-19 07:38:09
Print Post

Re: Google Micro Trenching.

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Thankfully not happening in the UK. 30cm depth even on narrow trenching.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Feb-19 09:55:36
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I don’t know about that.

There are many examples of recent Virgin (copper from the pavement hole) installations on our estate that are effectively surface-laid in their plasticky tubing in gardens.

Not gardening-safe and even more vandal-prone than the ground level wires to the wall box on the houses. Looks a mess, quite apart from anything else.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Feb-19 10:15:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They are supposed to be deeper, but invariably the installer is paid little and on a very tight schedule so corners are cut.

However what Partial and Ignition are on about is how deep the cables are installed in the pavements and roads. Googles were I installed between 2 to 4 inches which is shear stupidity.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Feb-19 10:35:08
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I agree, RONSKI smile. I just thought it worth pointing out that we have a lot of really slipshod work here too.

Much as I respect and admire Ignitionnet and his posts in general, I did feel it was a little complacent to restrict the criticism to roads and pavements, saying it doesn’t happen here.

In relation to those however, I do wonder about Alphabet’s apparent disregard for Loiusville summer temperatures.

We all know how even our lower ones can cause those sorts of (particularly black) compounds to soften considerably in direct sunlight.

I have more than once seen the wires of modern traffic light sensors exposed in this country as well. Similar to the problem in the OP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 11-Feb-19 10:36:02)

Standard User threelegs
(regular) Mon 11-Feb-19 11:03:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

when Virgin put the cable across my MILs garden it resurfaced at one point in the lawn and I strimmed through it!! and it wasnt in conduit/ducting, just the coax pushed into a spade slot

Edited by threelegs (Mon 11-Feb-19 19:10:23)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 11-Feb-19 21:14:26
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Think you are being a tad optimistic at 300mm. In my manor Virgin Lightning is doing well if you get 100mm with no duct and no joint boxes.

Surprisingly poor build with no protection and no future expansion capability.

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Mon 11-Feb-19 22:40:00
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Googles were I installed between 2 to 4 inches which is shear stupidity.

They where installed at 2" rather than 4" as a trial to see it worked (which it didn't) because it would save money. They have used a 4" depth at other locations which has not been a problem.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 12-Feb-19 09:24:12
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Two inches? They might as well just have cable-clipped it to the surface.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Feb-19 12:58:32
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by threelegs:
when Virgin put the cable across my MILs garden it resurfaced at one point in the lawn and I strimmed through it!! and it wasnt in conduit/ducting, just the coax pushed into a spade slot

I wasn't talking about the installation to get from the tee to the home. They aren't going to get full-on industrial kit out to go through a lawn.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to