General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Mon 11-Feb-19 22:16:01
Print Post

When the E side isn't needed...

[link to this post]

I have a fiend who is on the end of a very long line (about 2 miles). She used to get just shy of 2Mbps on ADSL.
A new AIO cabinet was put in down the road, and now she's getting a solid 40Mbps on VDSL. However, she still gets frequent disconnecitons - I'm guessing this is due to issues further down the E side.
My question is this - she doesn't use the phone line for anything other than the internet. Yet there's a big long piece of copper causing stability issues. As far as I know BT won't separate out the line before and after the cab - but wouldn't it make sense to? This isn't a cost issue, it's more about stability. Can this be done?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Feb-19 23:18:16
Print Post

Re: When the E side isn't needed...

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

Not until they are allowed to do so, i.e. LLU requires the E side to remain in place

Interested in how you've diagnosed the issue as being on the exchange side of the cabinet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Feb-19 07:50:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also currently needed for line testing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Feb-19 09:57:20
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I thought on FTTC that the DSLAM filters were supposed to eliminate E-side noise?

Iím fairly sure one of the engineers posted that here years ago, and moving to it certainly stopped the disconnections I was getting several times a week on ADSL2+.

If there is noise causing FTTC problems surely it is D-side?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User dect
(member) Tue 12-Feb-19 10:09:45
Print Post

The cause of the issue could be anywhere along the line including in the friend's premises, you have not said anything about a noises line or spells of no dial tone which I assume would be hard to detect as your friend doesn't use the line for making calls.

[Edit] Just trying to make the point that its not necessary on the E side.

Edited by dect (Tue 12-Feb-19 10:13:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Feb-19 10:18:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This was my thinking too, hence asking how the poster has diagnosed the E side as being the source of the noise.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(member) Tue 12-Feb-19 10:23:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
diagnosed the E side as being the source of the noise.
Who said anything about a noisy line?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Feb-19 10:26:27
Print Post

Yes. Last night I saw you ask that, but forgot just now blush. Iíve just noticed also the OP said ďI'm guessing ...Ē. Wrongly I think.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Feb-19 10:34:30
Print Post

This instability, was it present on the slow ADSL? If not, it seems more likely it is a new problem on the D-side, or in the AIO cabinet.

Is the router disconnecting and re-syncíing, or is it just the wireless connection to it?

Is your fiend wink using a dangly filter, and if so does the problem still occur when using the test socket?

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 12-Feb-19 10:35:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Feb-19 12:29:50
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

"I'm guessing this is due to issues further down the E side"

An implication from this statement - happy to entertain other descriptions

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to