General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sm27650
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-19 09:53:42
Print Post

Migrating G.Fast to another ISP

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on how to do an active line takeover by moving from BT to another ISP.

Background:

Signed up for Ultrafast 2 in October; WBC showed an estimate of 311-314Mb - Woohoo!

Order placed, Activation Day comes and engineer arrives to change the NTE face-plate over, sync speeds of 240Mb. Checked line, line all good, no issues, but no change in speed.

Raised a fault as not near 311mb; another engineer came, fiddled, Sync dropped to 180Mb ish. Since then, it's been up and down a little.

sync speeds now are 177/36 as observed by the WBC.

I have a USG Router doing a speed test every 15 mins; I know ISP's game the system, etc, however I'm seeing wild fluctuations during the day, night, etc, but this is manifesting itself in latency and jitter when using video & audio over Webex, Skype, etc.

The bit I need help with:

BT will allow me to move ISP and have a 'no hold to term' on the account. Looked to move to IDNet and put in an order, but it failed because OpenReach have no mechanism for a live migration of a G.Fast service to another ISP.

My only options according to BT are to re-contract at a lower price point for 18 months or a cease and re-provision which could be at best, a calendar month with no service.

Another option I asked about was to provision a new line and then activate G.Fast, but then I would be liable for the costs all because there is no mechanism to migrate ISP's and there would be a brief overlap with both services active.

Trying to find a way forward with BT; a lot of it is 'Computer says no'. I've been round the houses with teams; Loyalty Dept, Faults, Billing, you name it... They can only offer a cease / no hold to term OR a re-contract at a lower price for another 18 months which I'm reluctant to do.

Can anyone suggest anything else I could consider?

Cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Feb-19 10:54:12
Print Post

Re: Migrating G.Fast to another ISP

[re: Sm27650] [link to this post]

You raise other questions in my mind, as well as the ones you ask.

Particularly that doing speed tests every 15 minutes whilst streaming is going to send both services haywire. How many things are you running at the same time that overlap with these tests?

What service are you using for the speed tests? How much data is downloaded in what timescale?

Have you checked vectoring is showing as enabled?

What makes you think IDNet will be better at those speeds?

You also refer to initial estimates from WBC, whatever that is, then apparently to actual sync speeds from the same source. What’s that about?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 20-Feb-19 11:07:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sm27650:

I have a USG Router doing a speed test every 15 mins; I know ISP's game the system, etc, however I'm seeing wild fluctuations during the day, night, etc, but this is manifesting itself in latency and jitter when using video & audio over Webex, Skype, etc.

sync speed is nothing to do with the ISP. It's a characteristic of the G.fast link between the cabinet and your property only: the raw bitrate over the copper only.

So do you really mean "sync speed"? In other words, is it the sync speed as reported by your G.fast modem? If so, then changing ISP won't make a difference.

If you see the sync speed decreasing, it could be due to (a) DLM reducing the line rate to make your line more stable; (b) increased crosstalk as more users take G.fast on your cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Feb-19 12:06:51
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Vectoring which is built into G.fast should mitigate the effects of cross talk from other users

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Feb-19 12:31:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is one of the things I asked the OP about Andrew smile. AIUI vectoring also needs to be enabled on the user's modem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Feb-19 13:12:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Vectoring is mandatory.
There won't be G.Fast modems without it.
Standard User Sm27650
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-19 13:56:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You raise other questions in my mind, as well as the ones you ask.

Particularly that doing speed tests every 15 minutes whilst streaming is going to send both services haywire. How many things are you running at the same time that overlap with these tests?

What service are you using for the speed tests? How much data is downloaded in what timescale?

Have you checked vectoring is showing as enabled?

What makes you think IDNet will be better at those speeds?

You also refer to initial estimates from WBC, whatever that is, then apparently to actual sync speeds from the same source. What’s that about?

Sorry - Typo. It's set to every 45 mins; allowable values are between 10 and 49.

It's within the router itself; it's hitting one of the Speedtest.net sites; i've set it to a specific server so it's the same one each time as opposed to auto-selecting which would then have varying results. The break in results is because I switched back to the supplied BT Ultrafast Hub for a while to see if that improved things.

https://i.imgur.com/ea42lXI.png

I cant see if Vectoring is enabled; as I'm using the Huawei MT992 modem supplied by OR; I cant access it.

WBC - Wholesale Broadband Checker; https://i.imgur.com/EvdpwQ6.png

I'm hoping IDNet would be more consistent during the day and ultimately have a better level of service.
Standard User Sm27650
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-19 13:58:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:

sync speed is nothing to do with the ISP. It's a characteristic of the G.fast link between the cabinet and your property only: the raw bitrate over the copper only.

So do you really mean "sync speed"? In other words, is it the sync speed as reported by your G.fast modem? If so, then changing ISP won't make a difference.

If you see the sync speed decreasing, it could be due to (a) DLM reducing the line rate to make your line more stable; (b) increased crosstalk as more users take G.fast on your cabinet.

Understood, Sync speed wont change between ISP, but hopefully what it will bring is a more consistent throughput.

I know based on my distance that it's not going to be perfect, so working on the assumption that I'm syncing at 177/36, I would get the full sync of 160/30 on the line and real world speeds of slightly below that.

The line is approx 8 years old (Built 2011); so I would assume it's more likely B as opposed to A.

Edited by Sm27650 (Wed 20-Feb-19 14:00:57)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-19 14:11:29
Print Post

Understood, Sync speed wont change between ISP, but hopefully what it will bring is a more consistent throughput.

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere. There's been 1 or 2 reports of IDNet users (in recent times) suffering from peak time slow downs on these forums. You may end up paying more for an inferior service...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Sm27650
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-19 14:19:54
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere. There's been 1 or 2 reports of IDNet users (in recent times) suffering from peak time slow downs on these forums. You may end up paying more for an inferior service...

Yes, that's my concern. I have seen those reports. I've been with A&A before which was really good; the uncertainty I have is around my usage; They can offer me a service, slightly higher cost for 2TB usage a month.

The Ubiquiti USG is showing total traffic of 795Gb, but doesnt say over what time period, so I'm less inclined to trust it as dont want to be going over each month.

Mental note - must remember to reset counters on a monthly basis...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to