General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 15:22:05
Print Post

Is that G.Fast?

[link to this post]

I saw this morning there was openreach has installed new pod fitted to the street cabinet pcp (8) as these are my cabinet. I have asked them is that g.fast but they refused to tell me anything. I just checked DSL Checker there is no metion of G.Fast for my cabinet.

Photo here: https://ibb.co/r4Qcj4Z
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-19 15:31:16
Print Post

Re: Is that G.Fast?

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Yes, that's a G.Fast pod. Don't expect any mention of availability on the checker for quite a while after the pod is installed.

I saw a pod being fitted to a cabinet ten days ago - and got chatting with the engineers. They were happy to talk about everything - once they had established that I didn't work for Openreach smile

That cabinet isn't showing live for G.Fast yet and I don't expect it to for weeks.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Wed 13-Mar-19 15:32:09)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 15:36:27
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Oh well. I never wanted g.fast to be fitted. Never wanted it. All I want Openreach to installing a proper fibre to the premise (FTTP). Disappointed really. If G.Fast get estimated of 150/30 forget that! I will not buy that. Don't think my 248m away from this cabinet will getting 330/50 estimated sync rate.

Edited by adslmax (Wed 13-Mar-19 15:36:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Mar-19 15:40:30
Print Post

Perhaps you should write to Openreach and tell them to remove it as you don't want it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 15:42:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good idea. I will do that! smile
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Mar-19 15:47:20
Print Post

I don't know exactly what my distance to cabinet is but top estimates on G.Fast are at a full 330/50 with worst case low speed of 198.4/18.8

I do agree that FTTP is far preferable and I can now get non Openreach FTTP - although I'm waiting a while yet.

My mother's master socket is 10m from the cabinet so should get a good G.Fast speed if that goes live. The very old and decrepit PCP was replaced with a a shiny new one in a different location a while back, no doubt in preparation.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 13-Mar-19 17:23:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Perhaps you should write to Openreach and tell them to remove it as you don't want it.

laugh laugh laugh tongue

BTBroadband
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 17:27:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
All I want Openreach to installing a proper fibre to the premise (FTTP).

If you can get FTTPoD, why not take them up on the offer? I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige (after a small exchange of gold tokens) and then you'll get what you desire.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 17:31:42
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Matt

I would love to have FTTPoD but it no point to have it installing because I am living in the social council housing. Will be waste of my money if the landlord decided that I must move out at anytime.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 17:32:54
Print Post

That still could be quite the risk with FTTP then as those terms are still 12 months from OR right now. Could end up quite costly if you're a month in and have the move, potentially to somewhere that has not got it.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to