General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(member) Fri 15-Mar-19 15:25:56
Print Post

FTTP newbie questions

[link to this post]

Hi guy's, a couple of questions I would like answering if you don't mind please.

We have fibre cable being ducted underground and run via poles at this moment in time so a couple of questions I would like to know as we are going full FTTP when completed later this year.

1: Are BT and Zen still the only suppliers of superfast internet "ie" 330 / 50 or are there more ISP's looking to sell it. I have been with BT - ADSL ( 1Mb Sadly) for many years now but looking at options.

2: Going full fibre do I need to continue with my house phone paying rental or can that be scrapped / turned off meaning no rental on that saving money. We have mobile phones we can manage on.

Simple questions I know but if you don't ask.!!

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Fri 15-Mar-19 15:29:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-19 15:50:36
Print Post

Re: FTTP newbie questions

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband will show the Openreach FTTP packages for providers that we list without entering a postcode

So on (1) there are more options

On (2) most packages will be phone + broadband, whether phone line is over the fibre or existing copper makes no real difference to the price. You will find some data only options, but pricing is not much less than the phone + broadband.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Fri 15-Mar-19 16:08:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband will show the Openreach FTTP packages for providers that we list without entering a postcode

So on (1) there are more options

On (2) most packages will be phone + broadband, whether phone line is over the fibre or existing copper makes no real difference to the price. You will find some data only options, but pricing is not much less than the phone + broadband.

Explained very well Thank you Andrew. smile

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andygegg
(regular) Fri 15-Mar-19 17:45:38
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

It's possible you might not need to pay any more for FTTP. When we had fibre run near us we just ordered the lowest package - which was well above the <1Mb ADSL we had - so the only way BT could provide it was by fibre. We get 70/20 on a 3 mile-odd fibre link which is quite enough for our needs - streaming 4K TV no problem, etc. Unless you really need 150Mb try a lower package and see how you get on!
Standard User Garlic
(regular) Sat 16-Mar-19 11:04:28
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andygegg:
It's possible you might not need to pay any more for FTTP. When we had fibre run near us we just ordered the lowest package - which was well above the <1Mb ADSL we had - so the only way BT could provide it was by fibre. We get 70/20 on a 3 mile-odd fibre link which is quite enough for our needs - streaming 4K TV no problem, etc. Unless you really need 150Mb try a lower package and see how you get on!

When I ordered my fttp I was quoted the same price as for my adsl. Depends on your provider and what market classification you are in as others may charge extra for that over and above anything they charge for fttp.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-19 17:58:36
Print Post

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Garlic:
When I ordered my fttp I was quoted the same price as for my adsl. Depends on your provider and what market classification you are in as others may charge extra for that over and above anything they charge for fttp.

Well it depends on how much you were paying for ADSL, we was paying £5 pm for ADSL2+, I don't think BT would sell FTTP at that price tongue
But I phoned BT and got a very good deal and also did the same when the contract ended, so both times we have had a good deal.

We would of gone with a slower speed if there was a slower package with the 50Mbps upload, I use our connection for downloading, but mostly for uploading multiple GB of data, media type content which needs to be updated quick.

I would of gone with a dedicated leased line, but the price was just a bit too much and out of our price range.

Paul

Standard User Garlic
(regular) Sun 17-Mar-19 09:38:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well it depends on how much you were paying for ADSL, we was paying £5 pm for ADSL2+, I don't think BT would sell FTTP at that price tongue
But I phoned BT and got a very good deal and also did the same when the contract ended, so both times we have had a good deal.

Oh happy dream! I'll probably settle for getting that off my existing price!

-----------
FTTP 80/20
  Print Thread

Jump to