General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Fri 15-Mar-19 19:40:19
Print Post

IP Profile Incorrect 73.3 for 80Mbps

[link to this post]

Hello

I sync at the full 80Mbps however my IP profile wont go any higher than 73.3. it used to be 77..35. Speed tests are around 70Mbps when they used to be 75Mbps.

Here are my Modem Stats:

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 16.0 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 79999 20000
SNR margin (dB): 3.4 7.6
Power (dBm): 14.0 6.9
Interleave depth: 8 1
INP: 47.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

I have tried the smart hub and still the same issue. BT live chat say everything is fine and it is showing the correct IP profile and SVLAN of 76.

BT Superfast Fibre Plus Broadband

Edited by Tazz_uk (Fri 15-Mar-19 19:44:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Mar-19 21:51:05
Print Post

Re: IP Profile Incorrect 73.3 for 80Mbps

[re: Tazz_uk] [link to this post]

G.INP causes a significant reduction in the percentage drop form sync to IP Profile. IIRC it varies.

From my AAISP connection, now defunct, where I could see the ISP's radius log, the connection speed reported by BT Wholesale and recorded at the radius server is considerably lower than the modem-reported speed. This being where the discrepancy arises.

Despite multiple copy and pastes of my CLI-produced stats, AAISP did not want to know. The blamed my modem and/or router. Despite the figures from two HG612's, a Draytek 130 and the Zyxel they supplied me with.

frown.

Many other people on these forums have reported the same effect, but without the advantage of the radius logs.

Whether the problem lies in what Openreach report to BT Wholesale, or BT Wholesale choose to use instead, I don't know. What I do know is that the IP Profile calculated from the radius log figure is as we all expect for FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Mar-19 01:59:42
Print Post

You have G.INP (Retransmission).

There are 2 Retransmission profiles, High and Low.

Retransmission Low gives an IP profile that's 96.69% of the sync speed.
Retransmission High gives an IP profile that's between 91-92% of the sync speed.

You will be on Retransmission High and the IP profile is correct.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 16-Mar-19 02:00:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:08:16
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You have G.INP (Retransmission).

There are 2 Retransmission profiles, High and Low.

Retransmission Low gives an IP profile that's 96.69% of the sync speed.
Retransmission High gives an IP profile that's between 91-92% of the sync speed.

You will be on Retransmission High and the IP profile is correct.

This make sense. I had a line fault and it happened after but had a stable good line for a couple of months. How do I get it changed?

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:25:12
Print Post

Nothing really... DLM may change it back if the stability remains in place for a few months. The line condition may have changed and DLM may never change back. Generally speaking, stop focusing on it and hopefully with time it'll alter itself.

A "fix" could be to get BT to issue a profile reset, but getting this is probably not worth the effort as nobody will agree in the first place there is anything wrong, and hence will not agree to perform the reset. Also there is no guarantee when DLM re-runs it will choose the faster retransmission profile. You also run the risk if an engineer does visit, they report No Fault Found, even if they reset the profile and then you can be charged.

The only way you are likely to get BT to agree to a reset is if you have had a line fault previously, which caused this profile to be applied, and an engineer visited and confirmed they have fixed the underlying line fault. Here you have a case that the "fault" which is now fixed, caused the cap, hence BT will investigate. If it has just changed on a normal line, DLM is doing its job.

The line is performing to-spec, so this is not really a "fault" here, albeit frustrating.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 16-Mar-19 12:26:43)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:53:02
Print Post

Retransmission High is the default for Retransmission lines with a 3, 4 or 5dB SNRM.

DLM will only change to Retransmission Low if the line remains extremely stable.
I've no idea on the thresholds but there are a number of threads over on the kitz forum and very very few lines on 3,4,5dB SNRM targets go to Retransmission Low.

I was in your situation and we noticed on kitz that if you are able to cap your sync (it requires specific modems) then you can "trick" DLM in to applying Retransmission Low

Here's the thread explaining it and showing it working on my line.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22086.msg37...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Mar-19 13:02:39
Print Post

IIRC I had Retransmission Low when I was on G.INP with SNRM settings of 3; 4; and 5dB, but had the 91’ish IP Profile. I’ll see later if I can find any of my posts here that include the radius log figures.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Mar-19 13:03:59)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Mar-19 13:29:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You were Retransmission High.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4582729-ftt...

91.9%

edit: I'll clarify. The IP profile appears to suggest Retransmission High.
Bearer 0, INPRein 0/1 would confirm the exact profile.

I've seen a few cases recently where the line is 100% Retransmission Low (confirmed by INPRein and a GEA test) but the IP profile was that of an Retx High Line.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 16-Mar-19 13:32:45)

Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Sat 16-Mar-19 13:31:30
Print Post

Thank you guys for all your very knowledgeable help. I have called my speed down and will leave a week and post back smile thanks again

Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Sat 16-Mar-19 13:41:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You were Retransmission High.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4582729-ftt...

91.9%

edit: I'll clarify. The IP profile appears to suggest Retransmission High.
Bearer 0, INPRein 0/1 would confirm the exact profile.

I've seen a few cases recently where the line is 100% Retransmission Low (confirmed by INPRein and a GEA test) but the IP profile was that of an Retx High Line.

Here's mine:

General
rtx_tx 8674 0
rtx_c 73 0
rtx_uc 0 0
LEFTRS 0 0
minEFTR 74991 0
errFreeBits 165352961 0
Bearer 0
RxQueue 72 0
TxQueue 18 0
G.INP Framing 18 0