General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 18-Mar-12 11:53:40
Print Post

BT's dslchecker no longer working for FTTC

[link to this post]

Previously I've used this Bt link to get broadband speeds and availability...
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Postco...
It used to include FTTC information (despite the URL saying that it was an 'ADSL' checker).
But recently it has stopped including FTTC data.

Does anyone know where I can get uptodate FTTC data for postcodes please?
Ie where you dont have to know the address/telephone number.
I believe SamKnows is only accurate at the exchange level for FTTC.

Thanks.

Edited by deleted (Sun 18-Mar-12 11:58:14)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:28:34
Print Post

Re: BT's dslchecker no longer working for FTTC

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

You need the phone # to identify its cab. It's the cabs that are FTTC'ed or not. Diff lines in same postcode could go to diff cabs.

I don't remember postcode checker ever giving FTTC availability.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:29:41
Print Post

The reason will be that a postcode can be served from several cabinets, and not all of them have to be enabled. Rather than re-engineer the checker, which would be messy for the user, they must have removed the FTTC info due to complaints about inaccuracy.

The address checker still has the FTTC information.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:37:21
Print Post

I'm not sure that database is working correctly.

it has a history of flakiness, and tampering by BT to make it work.

However, i tried various postcodes from a FTTC area i know has been enabled in a while, and it comes up with this message:-

For Postcode DA1 0EG

Sorry, broadband is currently not available on your exchange.

Also, due to your line being routed over Fibre, it is currently not possible for your telephone line to support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site will be updated with developments as they happen.

Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:44:49
Print Post

Isn't that a special case - a TPON line?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:53:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Guess so. I just thought the whole area was already fttc
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 18-Mar-12 12:59:13
Print Post

For Postcode DA12 4TW

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 7Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 11.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

NDGRA GRAVESEND DA124TW {NDGRA}{P1} 0 14% 3.92 5a Yes
NDGRA GRAVESEND DA124TW {NDGRA}{P32} 0 5% 6.93 5a Yes
NDGRA GRAVESEND DA124TW {NDGRA}{P44} 0 79% 4.05 5a Yes

gravesend was enabled ages ago
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 18-Mar-12 13:07:16
Print Post

?
I think you are reading too much sophistication into the postcode checker smile.

As I suggested to the OP, it hasn't got the code in the Postcode routine to detect multiple cabinets, never mind handle them. So the FTTC bit it used to show, (I agree with the OP, I'm fairly sure it used to), has been removed.

It doesn't want to know. It's the same on my postcode. Zilch, and I'm in my second year of FTTC. Single cabinet for this postcode.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 18-Mar-12 13:16:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, i think your correct..

but i am 100% certain it used to show information on FTTC.. because of the many many many times i've put my own postcode in there.

At one point, i'm sure it even said something along the lines of ''your area is due in xxx''

Bit shortsighted of BT though, and not a very useful tool for someone trying to find out about FTTC. Indeed, if you complete the bt infinity website, it will only tell you if you can get it now, not that its planned for the very near future.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 18-Mar-12 14:17:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Moradin:
but i am 100% certain it used to show information on FTTC.. because of the many many many times i've put my own postcode in there.

The postcode checker did show FTTC availability but it disappeared mid-february for me. It now has no mention for FTTC for any postcodes in Chafford Hundred.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to