User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrislamb33
(regular) Mon 13-Dec-10 13:39:24
Print Post

Phoneline disrupting BB

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just moved house with new phonline extensions etc, all new. I've just plugged my router in got the internet up, but when I use the phone, first the dsl light goes off, then the internet light goes off. I was on the phone yesterday, I was on hold for 20 mins trying to get throught to tech support, in that time I noticed that the BB came back on, but when I finally had enough of holding I stopped the call & put it back in the holder, I then looked at the router & the internet was off again frown

I haven't got any filters attached yet, could this be the reason? or is it because BB hasn't been enabled or something (the house has never had internet at all)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Dec-10 13:50:07
Print Post

Re: Phoneline disrupting BB

[re: chrislamb33] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrislamb33:
I haven't got any filters attached yet, could this be the reason?
Definitely! Can't be not enabled cuz you get DSL & Net lights on.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
(regular) Mon 13-Dec-10 13:58:18
Print Post

oh by the way the phone is downstairs on a seperate socket atm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Mon 13-Dec-10 13:59:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I had loads of them before I boxed everything up now I can't find one!!
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Mon 13-Dec-10 15:16:05
Print Post

it quite normal for phone to cause the adsl to go down if the splitters are not in place.

An socket that connects to the phone line the adsl comes in on needs a spliter if it has a device plugged in.

So yes even though you phone might be in another socket from your modem you still need a micro filter

FOr example my sky box has a splitter/microfilter
(regular) Tue 04-Jan-11 10:36:44
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

Lastnight I lost connection to the internet while testing the phone & it wouldn't reconnect, I unplugged the phone & it didn't make any difference. It seemed like the dsl light would be dialing to get a connectionat the point where you'd normally expect the internet light to come on the dsl light just goes off & the whole process starts again. At some points lastnight the dsl light just stopped coming on at all!!

I left the router off the rest of the night & switched it on this moring & it connected although the connection speed was hopeless.

Please could some nice tech guy have a look at this please smile
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Tue 04-Jan-11 10:58:18
Print Post

pictures, stats and description of wiring wold be a great help

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
(regular) Tue 04-Jan-11 11:09:51
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

Thanks, Please could you remind me how to get the router stats. I'll get all that when I get home from work. I'm on a newly installed extension so I really hope it isn't that!
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Thu 06-Jan-11 15:52:43
Print Post

Chris, have you filtered all the extension points you have stuff plugged into yet? What's the username to your account?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(regular) Fri 07-Jan-11 11:12:33
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

I phoned BT, first they said that the line was fine, even though it was crackling, I then phoned up the next day to say that the crackling was even worse, he tested the line, he phoned me back on my mobile to say that I should book an engineer visit, & someone will look at the exchange. It has since all but cleared up, but I only get around 1.2mb/s download, and my router setting shows download max at 1.3mb/s. Is the router value an automatic thing or can it be increased?

My username is chrislamb33@madasafish.com

And yes I have filters on all sockets.

Edited by chrislamb33 (Fri 07-Jan-11 11:20:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to