User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pontyslapper
(learned) Tue 08-Feb-11 11:19:58
Print Post

Madness - using phone ENABLES BB connection?!?!

[link to this post]

I'm mightily confused at the moment...

For about 2-3 weeks now our BB has been non-existant or patchy at best. The sync on the line has been well flaky. Speeds when it is connecting are non-existant!

Thought it was my old Netgear 834 on its way, so got a shiny new N150. Still no change, as no change with a Belkin and a Huawei.

Changed the filters and its in the test socket.

Interleaving has been turned on, no change.

Line is quite crackly - yet BT claim no fault.

Here's the most confusing...

To get a slow, yet usuable BB signal I have to hard reboot (plug out) the router, then take the phone off the hook, now the sync light starts to flash, then I ring 1471, the sync goes steady and a moment or two later the BB connection is usuable, but for varying lengths of time.

This 'fix' doesn't always work as sometimes the routers all report Line Down, yet the phone line is OK for voice.

Have a ticket open - ID: 39656009.

I suspect this one is going to need an engineer visit and reams of new cable between us and the exchange as I think the cabling has finally given up after about a year of bunk speeds and various engineer visits and an almost constant stream of open/closed tickets between me and MAAF.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Feb-11 11:29:53
Print Post

Re: Madness - using phone ENABLES BB connection?!?!

[re: pontyslapper] [link to this post]

a dodgy joint or corroded spot in the cable, the extra current draw when off hook "wets" the defective joint and allows connection. No uncommon.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Tue 08-Feb-11 16:36:46
Print Post

[re: pontyslapper] [link to this post]

Hmmm, if there's audible noise on the line then I'd be inclined to get the fault raised with BT rather than us.

Couldn't BT hear the crackling on the line when you spoke to them?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrislamb33
(regular) Tue 08-Feb-11 19:09:32
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Their fault system does not work, I've complained about it & all they say is if the equipment was more sensitive then they would be picking all sorts of anolmolies on lines!!!

As bpullen says, get a BT engineer out to physically check the line between main socket & pole, and replace.
  Print Thread

Jump to