User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User guyspy
(learned) Sun 13-Feb-11 19:48:56
Print Post

Superfast broadband coming to my area

[link to this post]

I was reading up on BT's plans to upgrade parts of their system to FTTC.

I notice that my area will be covered shortly.

When I used the BT broadband checker it informs me that from 31st March of this year, I could expect download speeds of 26.6 Mb (compared to around 2Mb at the moment).

Are Madasfish going to be offering upgrade packages for existing users when these changes come into affect?

For £20.00 per month I could receive "up to" 40Mb download and 2 Mb upload speeds with a 40GB limit (twice the data cap that I currently receive - and 13 times the download speed).

There is no Virgin cable in our area, and it's unlikely that there ever will be.

Regards

Guy
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 21:27:01
Print Post

Re: Superfast broadband coming to my area

[re: guyspy] [link to this post]

This was the state of play 5 months ago regarding the FTTC trial, AFAIK the PN trials are not finished yet ..... something to do with new traffic management for the FTTC network maybe?

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 14-Feb-11 09:11:55
Print Post

Hi guyspy,

There's no plans as yet though you're more than welcome to register interest in the Plusnet trial if you like, once your area has been enabled - you'll need to move over to Plusnet though in order to take part, but we can do this at no cost to yourself. Details are on the Community forums.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User guyspy
(learned) Tue 15-Feb-11 08:46:30
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Hi Matthew,

I think I'll hold fire at the moment due to Plusnets traffic shaping.

When there was a recent issue that caused my MAAF traffic to be shaped in the evenings, my broadband became unusable, even "normal" downloading of windows updates etc. I should add that I don't use any file sharing software, I don't download movies, or in fact any "heavy" downloading. It also impacted on games I play on my iPod Touch, including downloading new apps from the app store.

For this reason, it's unlikely that I'll want to move across to Plusnet.

I realise that traffic shaping might hit us MAAF users eventually, but if what I've experienced is anything to go by, I'll almost be better reverting back to dial up, it really did seem almost as slow.

If Plusnet did somehow review their traffic shaping policy, i.e., to maybe throttle download speeds for certain types of traffic (not "normal" downloads) or maybe restrict persistent heavy downloaders, then I may consider switching if it meant I could get speeds approaching 26Mb/s

Thanks for the info anyway.

Regards

Guy
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 15-Feb-11 09:46:48
Print Post

Hi guyspy,

I can understand your reluctance, though should point out that when you experienced shaping on the MAAF network it was because things were very congested indeed - normal operation on Plusnet with shaping is nothing like that.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Tue 15-Feb-11 11:23:22
Print Post

Guy,

What are your bandwidth requirements like, and are you in a Market 3 area? The Plusnet Pro package is almost identical from a traffic management perspective compared to the MAAF product you'll be using now.

It wouldn't be if you only connected to the old 155Mbps central pipes (being decommissioned soon), but that won't be the case if the recent Plusnet outage affected you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
Standard User TerryD
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Feb-11 17:17:43
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

It wouldn't be if you only connected to the old 155Mbps central pipes (being decommissioned soon)

Aw Bob, now you've just gone and spoiled my day! I love those old 155's - just coming up to 83 trouble free days locked onto rb5-lo1. Do your really have to go and take them out of service?

TerryD

Terry

Freenetname MAX Premier
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Wed 16-Feb-11 11:54:54
Print Post

[re: TerryD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TerryD:
Do your really have to go and take them out of service?

Yes, it's creates us unnecessary expenditure/overheads. You might find this an interesting read if you've not seen it already.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
Standard User guyspy
(learned) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:17:46
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Hi Bob,

I am in a market 3 area.

In terms of bandwidth requirements, my wife and I only really check e-mail and browse the Internet. We very rarely come close to our 20GB limit unless I occasionally purchase the odd game from Steam and then need to download it!

I'm not really a broadband expert and I'm interested to understand the significance of being connected to the "old 155Mbps central pipes". From what I've read over at the Plusnet forums, these are being replaced with faster connections anyway. Presumably this will affect MAAF customers?

If moving to Plusnet would mean that I might be able to switch to a faster (fibre) service in the future with the same benefits as I have now with my MAAF connection, then it might be something I'd be interested in.

Traffic shaping still makes me very nervous though. I think you responded in the recent thread whereby several MAAF customer (myself included) experienced dire download speeds between around 18:00 and 22:00 each evening.

Many thanks for the reply

Regards
Standard User james26
(member) Thu 17-Feb-11 08:39:14
Print Post

Hi
I was on maaf 50gb and using about 40gb each month. Moved to plusnet in nov 10 owing to getting adsl2 speed. I must say the plusnet product is I have found near identical to maaf one, traffic shaping is there in evening when you do any thing with bit torrents but that is made for over midnight with free usage (set computer to wake up/sleep at night!)

For web browsing, iTunes, os updates and skype etc the evening is fine. One phone call plusnet sorted it all out and got to keep my old email and web space and it was £27 per month rather than £36 with maaf!

James

Argonet from dial-up days.
Pipex from 512k days > Max
Then Madasafish.
Now with Plusnet on ADSL2.
Netgear DG834g - 2 of them - one set to WDS mode.
Running MacOS 10.6 with MacPro (wired), MacBook Air & iBook.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to