User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mhb
(member) Sun 01-May-11 06:23:38
Print Post

Account details - Line Check Results

[link to this post]

Having logged in to my Account details this morning, I noticed, under the Internet tab, that the 'Line Check Results' shows an estimated line speed of 1.5MB. Apparently the inclusion of this information is required by MAAF signing up to Ofcom's broadband speeds voluntary code of practice. This is apparently based on the first 7 days of service. However as I signed up to MAAF several years ago, long before such speed information was recorded, I wonder how my estimated line speed has been calculated and what this means in terms of setting what MAAF regard as normal for my connection speed.

In fact my normal sync speed is sufficient to set an actual profile of 4MB and has been so for some years, in spite of being only 3.5MB currently after several storm caused power cuts over the last few days causing my SNR margin to temporarily reset to 9 rather than its usual of 6.

So, where has the 1.5MB figure been dreamt up from and what are the consequences?
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 01-May-11 06:55:47
Print Post

Re: Account details - Line Check Results

[re: mhb] [link to this post]

The 1.5Mb figure will be from BT Wholesale's checker. I have noticed that these figures have recently taken a dive for no apparent reason. It should have no effect on your connection speeds. My speeds are very similar to yours but my line check now shows only 1Mb, it used to be 2.5 I think. It would be useful if a Plusnet/MAAF rep could comment on why BT has revised these speeds downwards as I have read of more than one occurrence of this recently. Out of interest, is your line now enabled for Fibre to the Cabinet (the Wholesale checker should give this information)?

Kevin

Plusnet Extra - soon to be Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sun 01-May-11 06:57:07)

Standard User mhb
(member) Sun 01-May-11 08:00:33
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yes the 1.5MB figure is the same as that shown on BT wholesale checker. What a farce, it has obviously been reduced way down by BT to play safe in the light of the Ofcom code of practice, regardless of actual line capability, thus making nonesense of the whole exercise.

My exchange has not yet enjoyed any of the benefits of fibre nor is any date set for any upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 01-May-11 08:40:55
Print Post

[re: mhb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mhb:
Yes the 1.5MB figure is the same as that shown on BT wholesale checker. What a farce, it has obviously been reduced way down by BT to play safe in the light of the Ofcom code of practice, regardless of actual line capability, thus making nonesense of the whole exercise.

My exchange has not yet enjoyed any of the benefits of fibre nor is any date set for any upgrade.
OK, I wondered whether these "downgrades" had anything to do with the local roll-out of Fibre, as the two more or less coincided in my case, but it seems not.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra - soon to be Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
  Print Thread

Jump to