User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NervousEnergy
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 22:33:59
Print Post

Keeping email address when migrating to a new ISP

[link to this post]

Hi there.

My parents signed up to IC24 dial-up internet back in the early 2000s. They created a "@ic24.net" email address, and they still heavily use it after all this time.
We upgraded to broadband in 2005 or so, again still on IC24, but as you can imagine speeds back then were not particularly fast. The @ic24.net account and our package was transferred over to Madasafish when they absorbed IC24.

Currently, the maximum download speed is 60kbps, with upload considerably lower. After four frustrating years of attempting to use the internet at such low speeds, my parents now wish to change.
Unfortunately, none of the existing packages that Madasafish offers is very suitable; so we want to aim towards transferring to a new ISP.

The catch is: my parents both use the @ic24.net address very heavily. My mother uses it for a large non-profit society she Chairs/Boards, and so she is sending large emails nearly all throughout the day, every day. Since she has over a thousand contacts/customers (most of whom are over the age of 60 and often not very computer literate, all over the world) it would be a massive pain to change her address to something else.

Therefore, is there a way of keeping the @ic24.net address but cease our Madasafish/IC24 package?

Thanks in advance!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:27:55
Print Post

Re: Keeping email address when migrating to a new ISP

[re: NervousEnergy] [link to this post]

Ask to be downgraded back to PAYG Dial-up when you migrate.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
(newbie) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:30:53
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Pay As You Go Dialup? I've never heard of that before; wouldn't that mean they'd be unable to use the phone while sending an email, and that it'd cost each time an email is sent (large attachments are often used, and my Mother is always multitasking on the phone to clients while using Microsoft Outlook).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:53:09
Print Post

No, you don't actually use the dial-up to connect (you use your new ISPs BB) but you just make your existing Madasafish account that type solely to retain your email addy, providing they do this (many ISPs do). It's presumably what your Mum had long ago.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
ISP Representative mand_beckett
(isp) Wed 15-Jun-11 09:23:34
Print Post

Hi,

You'll need a JustMail account if you want to move elsewhere and keep your email addresses.

As an aside, have you looked at the Plusnet packages? Is there something specific missing from the current MAAF products?

Kind Regards,
Mand Beckett
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Wed 15-Jun-11 12:50:17
Print Post

[re: mand_beckett] [link to this post]

Hi mand_beckett,

The JustMail account looks perfect; is there a guarantee that we would keep the @ic24.net email address? And is the £20.28 a year the only payment (i.e., no usage bills?).

I've just taken a look at Plusnet. You guys own/are joined with Madasafish, arn't you? We always had fantastic customer service and incredibly good reliability with Madasafish, one of the main reasons why we never wanted to change, so I hope this would continue if we switched over.

The package that we took out (after further checking the invoices, we switched to IC24 Broadband in late 2004) was the Broadband 512k package at £23.99/month.

If I nudged my parents into the Plusnet Extra, it'd be £17.99 after the first three months (we're in a Market Two zone) with a line speed of about 8MB. The only problem I foresee is the monthly usage cap of 60GB. ic24, although slow, was unlimited usage (as far as I can tell; I never reached a cap). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the usage amounts on the Madasafish website, it only gives me this month and random months from 2010 and 2009. So far, since June 1st, my parents by themselves have used 7.15GB of internet. I'd be worried that they would go over the 60GB cap, especially when I come back home from University periodically and play online games/Steam.

I've noticed that the package provides unlimited usage overnight, however. So that might solve that problem.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-11 12:54:29
Print Post

Why do you think you would get 8Mb with Plusnet when you only get 60kb with Madasafish? Both would be using exactly the same bits of wire and equipment, except possibly a new router. Do you know why you are only getting 60k? Is it distance from the exchange?

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
(newbie) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:05:33
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I've always presumed that it's due to the package we signed up to with ic24. It was a 512k internet package, and that it was capped to that speed.
http://web.archive.org/web/20041206205547/http://www...
Maybe I'm wrong, and its something to do with the line. But I do specifically remember the speed being a "512k package". Which would just about correspond to 60kb/s.

Downloads have -never- gone above 60kbps. We live in a semi-detatched, and our neighbours (I believe, on Sky), get a strong 8 - 10MBs. The exchange is about a mile away.

According to Plusnets Speed Estimate Test ( http://www.plus.net/signup/index.php/residential/extra) the line speed is 8MBs give or take 1MB.

And according to Thinkbroadbands estimated speeds map ( http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/) the area is between 4MBs and 16MBs

Edited by NervousEnergy (Wed 15-Jun-11 13:18:22)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:48:30
Print Post

Can you show us what the line stats are, use this if needs be.

What's in the exchange > link?

The 512kbps is fixed speed DSL broadband in that the router should always sync with the exchange at 512kbps.

Unlimited usage packages are usually expensive when using BT's IP Stream system and they usually have a FUP tucked away in the terms and conditions somewhere.

Some LLU providers sell unlimited packages some with quite high FUPs others will only contact you if the connection is hammered 24/7 and interferes with their network.

Alastair

omadasafisho live BQM graph
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-11 14:02:28
Print Post

On a point of order, you are confusing bits and bytes here - you said 60kb when you meant 60kB and 8MB when you meant 8Mb!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to