User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User commonroad
(newbie) Mon 08-Aug-11 12:34:44
Print Post

broadband down

[link to this post]

Hello everyone
I have been with MAAF, for at least 3 years now, never had many problems with the service or support from them. The tech support have been very good, just the odd query about speed, and they even helped me figure out getting emails onto an iphone.
My broadband suddenly died last week, only realised when I got home, so rang up the tech support, straight through, the chap asked me what the problem was, we went through all of the tests in the house to make sure it wasnt any wiring problem my side.
He then ran some tests at his end, said he would ring back when they had finished. he was as good as his word, rang back in about 10 mins. he said that it was likely to be a problem with the line, further tests would have to be made, and they would get me back online within 7 days. In the meantime, I would get an email just to let me know what was happening.

Since then Ive had no email or a phone call, to update me. I have had to ring the helpline. I have now spent just over an hour on the phone on an 0844 number over the last few days, trying to find out what is happening.

I spoke to a guy on friday, he said that there was a problem at the exchange, so they were waiting for a BT engineer to look into it. Nothing over the weekend from them.
I rang last night on the MAAF technical helpline, waited for 30 mins, in the end, i hung up, decided to ring sales, within 2 rings it was answered. The guy on there said they were short staffed over the weekend, but he gave me a freephone number to ring. I rang that, waited for another 30 mins +, only to be told that the fault had been overlooked and no-one had been dealing with it !!
To say Im not very chuffed is an understatement, I have a 14 yr old at home, hassling me, because he cant play his xbox on line or chat to his friends on facebook.
I now face another few days (hopefully!!) on no internet connection.
Has anyone had a similar experience? or has anyone any advice?

Thanks
Andy
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 08-Aug-11 15:09:42
Print Post

Re: broadband down

[re: commonroad] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that. If you could PM me your maaf username or a ticket ID I'd be happy to chase this up for you, find out where we're at and give it a nudge in the right direction?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User tamsavoy
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 10:55:55
Print Post

Im having exactly the same problem, been offline for 5 weeks now, tech services are very nice & apologetic, but useless. I have called them twice a week for the last 5 weeks, 3 times i have waited for them to contact me & when I ring them, they say:- Oh sorry the last person you spoke to inputted the info wrong, You would think tech services would actually no how to input info correctly, can anyone help please!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User commonroad
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 11:08:37
Print Post

[re: tamsavoy] [link to this post]

Same problem here

I finally got back online, but was only getting 2Mb's download, spoke to tech support again, the speed suddenly jumped upto just under 6Mb's after i had hassled them. Its been fairly constant ever since then.
Im afraid though, my confidence has been battered and have voted with my feet and changed suppliers. For what I was paying for Broadband and phone rental(Different supplier) I have got 1 bill per month, and apparently my speed will triple ! I will wait and see.
Im still confused though how one company can tell me that the max speed on my line would be under 7Mb, and another company is claiming my speed will be between 17-20Mb!
I think its about time the ISP's stopped offering packages with promises of one speed and then we all get another, time for them to stop the 'up to' phrase on their sites I think
Andy
Standard User tamsavoy
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 11:19:46
Print Post

Wouldn't actually mind if speed was the problem, just can believe that after 6 yrs with MAAF that it would take them this long trying to get it sorted. They have said i will be contacted in the next 72 hrs, re an engineer visit, I doubt I will hear from them, prolly inputted info wrong again. Time to look for a decent provider who don't have illiterates on the help desk!
Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 12-Sep-11 11:58:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by commonroad:
Im still confused though how one company can tell me that the max speed on my line would be under 7Mb, and another company is claiming my speed will be between 17-20Mb!
Easy - one is ADSL Max, the other is ADSL 2+. I understand MAAF doesn't upgrade people automatically.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 13:14:58
Print Post

[re: tamsavoy] [link to this post]

Time to look for a decent provider who don't have illiterates on the help desk!
I have been with MAAF via globalnet for over 12 years now and I have to say that initially support was excellent. We then went into the wilderness when they decided to move their technical support out to some failed African state, so we had years of people who could barely understand English let alone technical issues.
Since MAAF has moved its support to 'sunny' Yorkshire, I have found that support is now excellent. The biggest problem is with the unreliable hardware and BTs equipment which is still stuck in the Victorian era.
I have lost count of the number of tickets I have raised due to poor reliability, but the last time I counted it was over 150 - yes 150!
Having just written that, I am prompted to ask myself the question which I am sure you are asking yourselves - Why is he still with them?!
  Print Thread

Jump to