User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Mon 15-Aug-11 15:20:45
Print Post

Can Anyone Explain This?

[link to this post]

Having been on ADSL2 for over a month now, I have had no problems at all.
My sync speed was 4035, which put me on a 3500 profile.
I get about 10 CRC errors per 15 minutes, which I think is quite good.

I had to power off my router the other day to do some mains stuff. When the power was back on and stable, I turned on the router. It connected straight away, but only connected at 1999 on an SNRM of 9.9.

Why should it do this, when I had been connected previously for over a month on 4035 on an SNRM of (at the time of switching the router off) of 3.8?

MAAF just say that I should wait a few days to see if it increases, but I don't think it will on that SNRM of nearly 10. After 26 hours it is still the same.

Why should ONE reboot of a router make my SNRM go from 3.8 to 9.9? I could understand it if it went back to 6.0, which is the default.

Should I wait, or pursue this further? I am now on a pathetic profile of 1500!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Aug-11 15:54:29
Print Post

Re: Can Anyone Explain This?

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

Have you tried (just ) one more reboot of the router since this happened?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Tue 16-Aug-11 09:51:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I tried that and it synced a couple of hundred more, so I went into DMT and pulled the SNRM down from its current level of 10.
Even pulling it down as far as the slider will go, it won't provide an SNRM of less than 6. Left to its own devices, it settles at 10. Why should ONE reboot of a router, cause the SNRM to go from 3.8 previously to over 10.

MAAF say they have no control over this, but if I want the SNR reset, then I will have to go through a 10 day training period again.

This is pathetic! All this bother just because of a scheduled router reboot.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Tue 16-Aug-11 10:46:18
Print Post

Maybe it's router dependent but I always used to find that my SNRM changed on a daily, if not hourly basis and I certainly never had to wait 10 days for anything to happen. It tended to start off highish after rebooting the router then gradually creep down to zero, at which point it re-synced at a lower speed. This happened on both ADSL and ADSL2+ and I think I was on similar speeds to you. I just took it as one of those things and a fact of life for being on a long line to the exchange. On FTTC (maximum sync) now so those days are thankfully gone.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Thu 18-Aug-11 16:20:58
Print Post

I'd suggest taking the SNR reset route if it's bothering you that much. Your line could have been 'banded' at 2Mbps although I'd expect you to be synchronising at 2272kbps if that was the case.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Aug-11 19:06:51
Print Post

An alternative is to get a Netgear DG834GT or DG834G v4 (both Broadcom chip) and load it with DGTeam firmware and you can then tweak the SNR margin any way you want until you get the best stable sync rate between router and exchange.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 18-Aug-11 22:39:12
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

But isn't it premature to go to those lengths when it should be a simple reset required, or even just a bit of time? Tweaking the noise margin is for extra performance, or when all else fails with a problem. Not the primary approach when there is something wrong.

I'd rather have a broken arm fixed than be given lots of morphine for the rest of my life tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:17:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Perhaps it is smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:12:30
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I don't know why an SNRM reset causes a new 10 day training period, but that is what has happened.

The router has gone from syncing at 1999 to 4175 and the SNRM is back to around 3.3, whereas before it wouldn't sync above 2000 on an SNRM of a minimum of 9.9 - Very strange, but now fixed.

Methinks BT and its broadband implementation is a pure black art - Still, only few years now and they will enter the 21st century! wink
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Aug-11 08:36:49
Print Post

A good result smile

A pity it needs a reset to sort things out, not sure it was so easy in the past for ISPs to get it done so quickly.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to