User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rwm32
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 18:51:48
Print Post

Brightview MAAF customers losing out on ADSL2+?

[link to this post]

I manage two Madasafish broadband-only accounts. One was migrated from Brightview; the other was opened after MAAF was merged into the PlusNet infrastructure.

They are on two different but virtually identical Market 3 exchanges (i.e. same level of service; 21CN WBC enabled; some FTTC):

the 'original' MAAF account is on LSMOL

the newer one is on LSWLTN

So here's the question:

Why has my newer account been given an automatic free upgrade to ADSL2+ (now syncs at 16000+ rather than 8000)? MAAF even wrote to me in advance to let me know what was happening...

But the older account has not been given the same upgrade. Instead, I've been invited to change to FTTC... (quite understandably, this would come at a significantly higher price than my current ADSL Max service - but I'm not ready for that step just yet).

Is there some discrimination here between 'old' MAAF and post-PlusNet MAAF? Or should I live in hope that my old MAAF account will shortly be given a free upgrade to ADSL2+? Pretty please?

TIA for any enlightenment from PlusNet!

rwm32
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-11 19:44:28
Print Post

Re: Brightview MAAF customers losing out on ADSL2+?

[re: rwm32] [link to this post]

Is there some discrimination here between 'old' MAAF and post-PlusNet MAAF?

Yes.

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 05-Sep-11 16:49:32
Print Post

Hi there,

We've only just done the move of realm for MAAF users, from the old 155s onto the WBC connections. Now that's done we can start the bulk migration, though users with slower connections (below 4Mb I believe) won't notice a great deal of difference in speed. If you'd like to move please drop me a PM with some means of identifying the account and I'll look into it for you smile

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rwm32
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 18:01:56
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Thank you, Matthew -- PM sent.
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 13:23:22
Print Post

I wouldn't bother moving to ADSL2+. I was moved from ADSL about 2 months ago and has caused no end of unreliability.
On ADSL, I synced at a regular 3400 or thereabouts. SInce moving to ADSL2+, the line re-syncs several times per week and the sync rate varies from 1979 to 4300. The SNRM also varies from 3 to 9 and even using DMTool forcing the SNRM as low as it can, it won't go below about 8.0, which causes low syncs.
MAAF have so far done 3 SNR resets and as of today, I am syncing at a massive 3253 with an SNRM of 7.8 - pathetic, go fibre.

PS - I am a Brightview migrant too.

Edited by rnewfie (Sun 18-Sep-11 13:24:40)

Standard User rwm32
(member) Mon 19-Sep-11 09:29:09
Print Post

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

That's a really disheartening experience. frown

I've been more fortunate so far (switched 6 days ago) -- there has been a fairly consistent 2Mbit improvement in sync and download.

sync has gone up from around 6.8 to around 8.9 Mbits (it hit 11 Mbits at one stage); and download has increased from approx 5.1 to approx 7.2 Mbits.

Downsides are (as you have also experienced): inconsistent target SNRM; and no interleaving. But as this is still within the initial period, I'm reserving judgement...

I actually had to use DMT Tool to increase the SNRM massively at one point, because it was set so low at the DSLAM (0.5 dB!) that the modem would not sync at all.

As for the interleaving, my line is relatively severely affected by commercial AM radio, so even with a high SNRM set (12 dB) the incidence of CRC errors is not good (hundreds per hour). With interleaving on, the CRC rate was in single figures per hour, with FEC dealing with the rest.

I imagine that it's just a question of getting MAAF to switch interleaving back on...

What sort of speed do they think you might get on fibre? The Plusnet site suggests we might get 24 Mbits, which is very tempting, but also a huge increase in price from what we're paying now.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:45:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by rwm32:
What sort of speed do they think you might get on fibre? The Plusnet site suggests we might get 24 Mbits, which is very tempting, but also a huge increase in price from what we're paying now.
If the estimate is 24Mb the actual is highly likely to be more. I'm surprised it's a "huge" increase - you must be on a heavily discounted MAAF deal! My move to Fibre (admittedly from Plusnet to Plusnet, I had already done the switch from MAAF to Plusnet, which reduced my bill) only added £5 a month.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-11 11:05:20
Print Post

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

ADSL2+ is really only of benefit if syncing at over the 5Meg mark.

Below that most people are best limiting their hardware to ADSL2, or sometimes ADSL mode.

In theory the WBC platform should be as reliable, but as different hardware and the DLM behaves differently, it can take some tweaking, both on ISP and consumer through choice of hardware and forcing DSL modes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Mon 19-Sep-11 11:25:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ADSL2+ is really only of benefit if syncing at over the 5Meg mark. Below that most people are best limiting their hardware to ADSL2, or sometimes ADSL mode.
Agreed - I force the router to ADSL2 mode, because I found that the attenuation and SNRM levels were higher on ADSL2+ and caused [even] lower sync rates. Its a pity that MAAF support didn't tell me that in the first place though - I had to work it out myself.
Bearing in mind that MAAF support suggested that I move to ADSL2+ from ADSL[1] to increase sync rates, I feel that I have been completely mis-guided.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:04:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
ADSL2+ is really only of benefit if syncing at over the 5Meg mark.

Below that most people are best limiting their hardware to ADSL2, or sometimes ADSL mode.

In theory the WBC platform should be as reliable, but as different hardware and the DLM behaves differently, it can take some tweaking, both on ISP and consumer through choice of hardware and forcing DSL modes.

That depends on the system I think.

when I was with Bt, i had a pretty good connection of 3Megabits, ok it was not ultra high, but it worked. but then BT updated our exchange to their 21CN system and my connection then started to go haywire, with disconnections, when they sorted out the disconnections i got just over 2megabits if I was lucky.

so going from ADSL to ADSL2+ lost me a megabit

i got shot of Bt and went with ADSL24 and the cable and wireless network ( old Bulldog) and using ADSL2+ i got over 4 megabits on my old speedtouch router right away, I now getting 4.4 with the speedtouch. It disconnects now and again but i think that is due to the router knocking the SNR a bit lower than it should

If i use my netgear I get just un4 megabits as it keeps the SNR at the default setting

So going from Bt version of ADSL2+ to cable and wireless version I get a better service, faster and more stable and I am on a pretty long line

Just Bt again simple as that

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to