User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Thu 03-Nov-11 11:45:12
Print Post

Why do your profiles not match up with BTs?

[link to this post]

I have raised a new ticket on this, but would be glad of your comments.

In essence, now that I am on ADSL2, I am on BT's new profiling system, whereby the profile is immediately set to 88.2% of the current sync speed, but MAAF seem to always refer to the OLD 'clanky' system where the profile is based on the connection speed, but takes several days to 'cotton on' to the sync speed.

According to BT's website, my connection speed is 3788 and my profile is 3341. This is as of yesterday, so why is it that yeaterday, you stated that my profile is 2500 and has not yet gone up to 3000, which it will do in 2 to 3 days?
You seem to be working on 2 different systems - BT is setting my profile IMMEDIATELY at 88.2% of my current sync speed, whereas you seem to be working on the old system of waiting several days before the profile changes.
A BT Openreach engineer said last week, 'I don't know what your ISP is looking at, but our profile is what we use, so ignore what they are saying'.
Who is right, you or BT?
Bearing in mind you are piggy-backing onto BTs profiling system, I know who my money is on, by why is your system different from theirs?
Here is a screenshot from yesterday, which clearly states my profile as being 3341. This is before your support rep. said that it is 2500.
PS - a profile of 2500 would indicate that you are looking at the OLD system, where profiles are multiples of 500.
Please explain.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:16:52
Print Post

Re: Why do your profiles not match up with BTs?

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

Discussed at length here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,9740...
Basic answer is that the BT system for generating delta reports won't reflect the new profile system until Dec 12th and until it does Plusnet can't use it
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:31:47
Print Post

Re: Why do your profiles not match up with BTs?+ edit

Looks like maybe the profile needs manually updating on the Plusnet/Madasafish system if it hasn't automatically been updated by the end of today, i.e. the last Delta report PN received was based on the old system and the next report should be the 88.2% profile ........ mind you I think you'll need to cross more than your fingers tongue

Edit
After reading the post from the link provided by Oldjim it would seem that the 12th Dec is the day that PN will be supplied with Delta reports containing the new 88.2% profille data.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Thu 03-Nov-11 13:42:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rnewfie
(member) Thu 03-Nov-11 16:08:30
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

If that 12th December is accurate, then what happens until then?

If my BT profile says 3341 and my MAAF profile says 2500, then which one is implemented? I'll bet its the lower of the two!

Surely the BT profile should over-ride anything that MAAF has. After all it's BT's profiling system.

The idea of MAAF updating profiles after 12hours is false, because my profile of 3341 as of yesterday morning has still not been implemented by MAAF. - Throughput 2.2mbps
www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1320336343993704711.html
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Nov-11 16:46:32
Print Post

Because until Dec the new BT profile system and the Delta reports which go to Plusnet don't talk to each other. So all Plusnet get are the old values which stupidly aren't given in the BT Speedtest
The other thing is that the new system updates the profile almost immediately but the Delta reports aren't updated until the usual 2 to 3 days have elapsed - stupid isn't it
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:06:07
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Sounds like the good old days with BT with the left hand not knowing that it even had a right hand wink

This gets better - After querying this with MAAF, they say that my profile is currently 2000, because my router has re-synced at a current speed of 3616.
Just ran a BT speedtest which shows my profile as 3190.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1767 Kbps

Excellent - 19CN wink
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:06:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by rnewfie:
If my BT profile says 3341 and my MAAF profile says 2500, then which one is implemented? I'll bet its the lower of the two!
It will always be the lower of the two values that determines the speed, but after 12th December the situation should be a lot better.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:39:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

after 12th December the situation should be a lot better.
After this date :-
1) BT will set the profile speed based on the average of the lowest two connection speeds attained over the past year.
2) This will be sent to the ISP at the first opportunity following the next full moon.
3) The ISP will update their system to match BT's immediately upon receipt of the requisite documentation (as yet unspecified).
4) The system update results will be sent back to BT for verification prior to being activated.
5) BT will send the the update report to the 'Profile Update Request' department for final verification.
6) The profile will be changed and sent to the local exchange for final implementation unless the router has re-synced in the past 3 days, in which case a new average will have to be calculated.
7) Goto 1)
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 03-Nov-11 18:23:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by rnewfie:
after 12th December the situation should be a lot better.
After this date :-
1) BT will set the profile speed based on the average of the lowest two connection speeds attained over the past year.
2) This will be sent to the ISP at the first opportunity following the next full moon.
3) The ISP will update their system to match BT's immediately upon receipt of the requisite documentation (as yet unspecified).
4) The system update results will be sent back to BT for verification prior to being activated.
5) BT will send the the update report to the 'Profile Update Request' department for final verification.
6) The profile will be changed and sent to the local exchange for final implementation unless the router has re-synced in the past 3 days, in which case a new average will have to be calculated.
7) Goto 1)
OK, maybe a bit better smile

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Mon 07-Nov-11 18:22:16
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Despite being connected at 3616 since 3rd November and BT's profile stating that my profile is 3190 and has been since that time, MAAF's profile still says 2000.
Right hand <---/---> Left hand!

Its rubbish really.

How many people think that this mis-match between MAAF and BT's profiling system will be resolved during December?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to