User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User guyspy
(learned) Sun 27-Nov-11 19:07:43
Print Post

A couple of questions regarding leaving MAAF

[link to this post]

Hi,

We moved from MAAF to BT Infinity on Friday.

I've already notified MAAF of this via the ticketing system and I believe a refund is being arranged.

What I'm not sure about is whether I need to explicitly state that I no longer need my domain or e-mail account.

I don't want to find that in the future I'm suddenly billed for domain renewal and/or e-mail access.

Can anyone advise whether I need to contact MAAF directly or whether it will be assumed that I no longer need these other services?

My reasons for leaving MAAF were simply connection speed. With BT Infinity, we're now enjoying download speeds of 37 Mb for the same monthly amount (but with double the data limit - 40GB). Previously on ADSL, we struggled to reach 3 Mb. This was obviously nothing to do with MAAF and was simply because we were so far from our exchange.

My time with MAAF (and Freenetname before it) has been trouble free and I cannot fault the service that we've received over the (many) years! I've never experienced a problem with customer support and we've enjoyed pretty reliable broadband.

Kind Regards
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-11 20:22:15
Print Post

Re: A couple of questions regarding leaving MAAF

[re: guyspy] [link to this post]

Covered in their T&Cs:
10.9 Upon termination you agree to cease using the Broadband Services immediately and to pay any monies owing (we will bill any outstanding payments promptly after termination). On termination your right to use the Services ceases immediately.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User guyspy
(learned) Sun 27-Nov-11 20:34:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks XRaySpex,

However, what do they mean by "Services"?

Do they mean their broadband service, or all services associated with my account?

For example, I can still log into "My Account" on the MAAF web site and view my open tickets. I can also log into my webmail account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-11 20:59:05
Print Post

Just read the definitions of terms at the bottom of that web page. It seems quite obvious to me.

Just cuz you can doesn't mean you have any right wink. Naturally you should be able to see your billing info after you leave.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 27-Nov-11 21:51:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by guyspy:
For example, I can still log into "My Account" on the MAAF web site and view my open tickets. I can also log into my webmail account.
I migrated from MAAF to Plusnet 18 months ago and I can still log into my MAAF account, which shows as "Madasafish Pay As You Go." I have not been charged anything since I left. A year or so after moving to Plusnet I upgraded to Plusnet Fibre, which you also could have done rather than moving to BT - I wonder how the cost would have compared, because Plusnet Value Fibre (40GB allowance) is, I believe, cheaper than BT Infinity on Market 2/3 exchanges.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User guyspy
(learned) Mon 28-Nov-11 13:34:40
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I migrated from MAAF to Plusnet 18 months ago and I can still log into my MAAF account, which shows as "Madasafish Pay As You Go." I have not been charged anything since I left. A year or so after moving to Plusnet I upgraded to Plusnet Fibre, which you also could have done rather than moving to BT - I wonder how the cost would have compared, because Plusnet Value Fibre (40GB allowance) is, I believe, cheaper than BT Infinity on Market 2/3 exchanges.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you. That's useful to know.

I'm actually paying £2.00 per month more with BT Infinity than I was on a discounted tarif with MAAF (for their ADSL max package with a 20GB cap), and my BT Infinity is discounted for the 1st 3 months to £7.50, so it's working out quite cheap.

I've also read that BT are looking to upgrade their networks to 80Mb next spring, although I'd question whether I'd ever need that much download speed!

I also like the fact that it's a single point of contact regardless of whether my phone line or broadband "breaks", i.e., it's all with BT.

I guess I'll do nothing at the moment and assume that MAAF provide me a refund and then don't charge me any more moving forward.

Regards

Edited by guyspy (Mon 28-Nov-11 13:35:06)

Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-11 14:20:48
Print Post

I've also read that BT are looking to upgrade their networks to 80Mb next spring, although I'd question whether I'd ever need that much download speed!

The upgraded network will be available to all ISPs, but it's likely that BT retail will be quickest off the mark in making it available to customers.
I also like the fact that it's a single point of contact regardless of whether my phone line or broadband "breaks", i.e., it's all with BT.

That's one of the reasons I have both my line rental and broadband with Plusnet (the others being that it's cheaper and I don't have to deal with offshore call centres).

I hope it all goes well for you.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
  Print Thread

Jump to