User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mhb
(member) Tue 20-Dec-11 12:23:37
Print Post

Speed/Profile imbalance

[link to this post]

I am on ADSL Max on a pretty stable line. For several months have had a BT profile of 3000kbps and got download speeds of around 2750 kbps. Just over a week ago had a power cut which caused the router to resync at just above 4000kbps and a few days later a second power cut caused a resync to 4480kbps. Two days ago (much more than the normal 3 days) the BT profile finally reset to 3500kbps. However my download speed has remained unchanged at around 2750kbps. Surely as both the sync speed and then the BT profile have increased the download speed ought also to have increased. MAAF say their system has picked up the profile increase but they are at a loss to know why the download speed has not increased. They do say, however, that as the speed is within BT's limits for my line they cannot raise this with them.

As a result of posting this problem elsewhere on the thinkbroadband forums , I now understand, and I quote, that "According to the Plusnet reps on this forum, there can be "an imbalance" somewhere else within the BT system, even when their copy of the IP Profile agrees with the BT Speed Test one." and "Plusnet reps seem to be able to cure it."

If any plusnet rep is monitoring this MAAF forum could they please comment/advise.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-11 16:46:12
Print Post

Re: Speed/Profile imbalance

[re: mhb] [link to this post]

Hopefully someone from PN Staff will be in touch in the not too distant tongue

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1009...

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative jpilson
(isp) Tue 20-Dec-11 17:18:49
Print Post

Hi mhb,

I've just run some checks on your line and the BT and MAAF IP profile are matching at 3500. I have also run a consistency check, which will detect any imbalance and that passes too.

Are the speed tests run using wireless? If possible could you run a BT speed test and post the results here?

Jojo smile

Joanne Pilson
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status::RSS::Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mhb
(member) Tue 20-Dec-11 17:38:54
Print Post

[re: jpilson] [link to this post]

Hi Jojo,

Thanks for picking this up.

Have just done another BT speedtest as you suggest with results as below.

Download speed 2681Kbps
Acceptable range 600 - 7150Kbps
DSL downstream connection rate 4480Kbps upstream 448Kbps
IP Profile 3500Kbps

I am using a wired connection, not wireless and have same Thomson router (MAAF provided) connected into BT Master Socket. Nothing has changed in this regard for months.

So, how can my download speed stay the same as before when both the sync rate and profile have increased so much?

Mike
Standard User mhb
(member) Wed 21-Dec-11 14:47:16
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Well I find that this morning my connection auto resynced from 4480 down to 3744, my IP profile reduced down to 3000 again (but this time more or less instantly) and surprise surprise my actual download speed on the BT speedtester has stayed more or less the same at 2654 (was 2681)

This is just not right and yet MAAF seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it.
Standard User rnewfie
(member) Wed 21-Dec-11 17:56:33
Print Post

However my download speed has remained unchanged at around 2750kbps.

I have had this exact situation for many, many months.
I typically used to connect at around 3500, which put me on a profile of 3000. My download speed was always around 2800.
Following a change to ADSL2 from ADSL1, my sync rate went up to around 4300. It did fluctuate a bit, but was always over 4000. This put me on a profile of 3500 (after many days!).
Regardless of the increase of the profile, my download speed never went above 2800, even after several days of being on a faster profile.
Despite MAAF's assurances that it should increase eventually, it never did.

The only thing that has changed this situation is that I am now on the new profiling system of it being set immediately at 88.2% of the current connection speed. Now a resync causes a profile speed which is not a multiple of 500 and my throughput speed is around 90% of my profile speed.
Currently connected at 4157, profile 3665, throughput 3403.

In short, on the old profiling system, I think there are so many variables and mis-matches between MAAF and BT that the profile is usually irrelevant.
Although having said that, when the profile decreases, the throughput immediately decreases too, but increases are never realised.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Dec-11 23:23:40
Print Post

Is your exchange like mine and still 20CN?

Using the BT Performance Tester I used to get a throughput of around 91% of the IP profile, the IP profile would be at best for my connection 3500Kbps any higher and it becomes unstable at night due to noise and not enough margin.
Now I'm lucky to get 88% of the IP profiles so I guess it must be to do with any changes to the PN network over the last six months or more.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User mhb
(member) Thu 22-Dec-11 05:53:37
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I'm on a small rural exchange which, any upgrading to which is but a distant dream. My concern here is not the actual speed I get but the fact that some part of either the MAAF or BT system seems to be locking my speed irrespective of the sync/profile set.

I am assuming Jojo was off yesterday as there has been no further response from MAAF since her first post.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 13:53:52
Print Post

I am assuming Jojo was off yesterday as there has been no further response from MAAF since her first post.

She posted on the Community forum for some of yesterday morning.

It's up to you but I registered on that forum in case the maaf forum here started to get a bit less attention than it used to do now that PN uses Twitter and Facebook to communicate to it's users as well as various other sites.

Must say any issues I posted on the Community forum were dealt with fairly quickly by the PN Staff that monitor it, credit where it's due.

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:28:38
Print Post

Hi mhb,

Sorry we've not been back in the past couple of days. I've just run the same test Jojo did and it's still matching though this time at 3000 rather than 3500, so there's no faults actually showing that could be reported I'm afraid. If your speeds are still around the 2600-2800 mark that'd be about right, is that the case?

As far as fixes go I suspect the only thing we could do that might make a difference would be to reset the SNR on the line and let it retrain (that should reset your line across all the kit in the exchange and their associated profiles). If you'd like to go ahead with that please let us know, otherwise I think the only thing you could do really is raise a fault with some BT speed test results attached.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to