User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nick2009
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 12:18:03
Print Post

Poor performance.

[link to this post]

Over the past dozen or so months, i've experienced an intermittent deterioration of adsl speed. In this time, I have carried out numerous tests in order to rule out any problems with any equipment of cables at my end. I've tried alternative routers, computers, laptops, rj11 and rj45 cables and different filters.

Peak time speeds are becoming notoriously slow. One of the last BT SpeedTests I ran clocked me at 96 Kbps! That is not a typo....I did mean to type 96 Kbps. That speed test was carried out yesterday evening and about 7 hours previous to that using the same equipment at a non-peak time, I achieved 9.39 Mbps which is excellent. Things are not always that great at non-peak times though. I frequently struggle to get above 3.5 Mbps during the day. I've provided many speed test results to MAAF support but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I originally queried possible contention issues only to be assured that it could not possibly be the case. However, MAAF have issued a number of service status updates regarding peak time performance problems that customers may be experiencing...but yet, there's still no link. I tried to call MAAF support last night but was greeted by a recorded message telling me that wait times were at least 20 minutes so I didn't bother waiting but considering the high volume of calls, I think it's unlikely that i'm the only person who is unhappy with things.

Things never used to be this bad. Apart from the very occasional blip which is only to be expected from time to time, the service was steady and stable. I do occasionally get good speeds these days but the consistency isn't good enough and I know that within a few hours, I may be waiting a minute or two for simple web pages to load.

Is anyone able to offer me any help please?
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Mar-12 13:42:21
Print Post

Re: Poor performance.

[re: Nick2009] [link to this post]

I see that Matthew - PN Support is online so he may be able to help you!

I have highlighted your post here

Dennis
plusnet value & talkanytime

Edited by reserved (Thu 29-Mar-12 13:46:06)

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 29-Mar-12 14:23:56
Print Post

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with this,

Would you mind dropping me a PM with your username so I can investigate this and get back to you?

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nick2009
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 15:38:11
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

PM sent.

Just ran a new BT speed test and got 8.82 Mbps which is pretty good...but give it a few hours and it'll be back down to 1.

Edit: Well it looks like my prediction of a few hours was a little generous, as was the estimation of 1 Mbps.

Speedtest.net just clocked me at a whopping 0.18 Mbps.

ThinkBroadband's speed test gives me 0.2 Mbps for both down and upstream!

Stunning.

Edited by Nick2009 (Thu 29-Mar-12 16:16:26)

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:32:51
Print Post

No problem,

I'm going to take some time to read over the full history of the issue so I can gain a clear view of where we've been so far with this issue and where we can take things next.

I'll get back to you ASAP.

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-12 22:28:19
Print Post

Any congestion issues at your exchange?

use this checker from PUG to find out.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Nick2009
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-12 12:47:51
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

Speed is even worse today. The latest BT Speed Test was 37 Kbps which is incredibly frustrating.

I'm aware that there may be some issues with the Faraday outage on Friday but the Service Status is yet to be updated...although an update was due at 11am this morning.

I've updated the ticket with the info and screenshots.

Nick
  Print Thread

Jump to