User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nick2009
(newbie) Tue 12-Jun-12 21:03:38
Print Post

Leaving MAAF

[link to this post]

After a number of years as a loyal and generally happy customer, i've decided to pull the plug on the MAAF experience. Over the past year or so i've experienced a number of performance issues and dropped connections. I appreciate that some were beyond MAAF's control but the accumulation of issues have made the decision for me.

The latest issue is that i've started to receive quite a few spam emails from gambling websites of which I have absolutely no interest in and haven't visited, registered or subscribed to. I created some mail filters in webmail to combat it and thought that should be enough but they're still getting through. After requesting support for the matter, I was basically told that I have to deal with it (not in so many words, obviously). This isn't good enough. After setting a filter, I expect it to do its job. If mail comes through with new keywords or from a different domain, then fair enough, I would expect to create new filters but there's something not quite right when they stroll past the filters without any hassle.

Anyway, moot point now. Just wanna say thanks to Adam for all the help in the previous issues.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jun-12 21:36:34
Print Post

Re: Leaving MAAF

[re: Nick2009] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nick2009:
The latest issue is that i've started to receive quite a few spam emails from gambling websites of which I have absolutely no interest in and haven't visited, registered or subscribed to.
Nowt to do with your ISP. You have spread your email addy around too widely and/or sites you have registered at have leaked/been hacked.

Better to use a mail client on your PC and construct your own more extensive filters.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Nick2009
(newbie) Tue 12-Jun-12 21:52:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The latest issue is that i've started to receive quite a few spam emails from gambling websites of which I have absolutely no interest in and haven't visited, registered or subscribed to.
Nowt to do with your ISP. You have spread your email addy around too widely and/or sites you have registered at have leaked/been hacked.

Better to use a mail client on your PC and construct your own more extensive filters.

No, I haven't done that, but thanks for taking the time to reply. That email address is/was my personal address and wasn't used to register for anything online. I use a couple of virgin.net accounts to register for forums and other online stuff.

I suppose there's a chance that someone on my contact list may have got an infection which could have compromised my address but that is speculation. It's also besides the point which is that the mail filter should work in the first place.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User headman54
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 20:38:00
Print Post

We all get spam each day.If you use Hotmail,Gmail,or Yahoo you can just click on it as spam and it goes into your spam or junk folder to read and delete. If somebody is getting into your Email, change your password. Anyway Its good to change your password every now and again to keep your account secure.
Standard User Nick2009
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 20:45:59
Print Post

[re: headman54] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by headman54:
We all get spam each day.If you use Hotmail,Gmail,or Yahoo you can just click on it as spam and it goes into your spam or junk folder to read and delete. If somebody is getting into your Email, change your password. Anyway Its good to change your password every now and again to keep your account secure.

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that spam is a problem for many people but my point is the spam filters on MAAF's webmail facility are ineffective. I'm pretty sure no-one is getting into my email either, I use password generators for passwords and no two of my passwords for forums and other logins are identical.
Standard User headman54
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:00:35
Print Post

I never use MAAF Webmail. Change to Yahoo or Gmail they work well to sort out the rubbish.
Standard User Nick2009
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:41:48
Print Post

[re: headman54] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by headman54:
I never use MAAF Webmail. Change to Yahoo or Gmail they work well to sort out the rubbish.

Cheers.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:45:48
Print Post

It's also besides the point which is that the mail filter should work in the first place.
No filter is foolproof!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Nick2009
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:52:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It's also besides the point which is that the mail filter should work in the first place.
No filter is foolproof!

Granted but i'm not sure they even blocked one mail but in the absence of any logged statistics, it's hard to say for sure. However, email regularly gets through from domains which I have created filters for plus keyword filtering seems ineffective as well.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Jun-12 09:53:27
Print Post

If it's like Plusnet it's the Reply to address that has to be put in to the filter not the senders address. That's caught me out before. (Why it doesn't work for both Lord alone knows)

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
  Print Thread

Jump to