User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gb7
(learned) Wed 11-Jul-12 11:42:48
Print Post

Broken broadband...

[link to this post]

Got home last night and had no broadband. I use a Netgear DGN2000 router and the connection is usually rock solid. However, last night the 'internet' LED on the router was RED - I tried re-booting router a few times but remained an issue.

When I phoned, the advisor went through my router settings without success, and I also tried an old router again with no success.

Left the router switched off overnight and tried this morning to log in using the test login details supplied and it still would not connect.

Advisor suspected my router was faulty, but I'm not convinced having tried my old router that I know was working.

I've raised a ticket, but is there anything else I can try? If I have to buy a new router, so be it, but I'd like to be sure this will solve the issue!
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 11-Jul-12 14:42:11
Print Post

Re: Broken broadband...

[re: gb7] [link to this post]

Well, if the router is in sync then a red internet light usually means an authentication fault. If you've tried both test usernames and neither connect that would hint at a problem at the exchange.

The test usernames:

bt_test@startup_domain with an empty password (if possible, if not then 'password' is fine) should give you an active connection to the exchange. You won't be able to browse, but if your router shows a connection then proceed on to:

bt_test_user@**your usual connection realm** with a password of 'password' (no quotes) should connect you to our systems though again you shouldn't be able to browse.

If you haven't already please try those and update the ticket with that information (feel free to update here if you like but those results will help our faults team with the investigation).

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User gb7
(learned) Wed 11-Jul-12 15:25:33
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Hi Matthew

Thanks for the response.

I tried the bt_test@startup_domain and this still gave me a re light. I'll try the bt_test_user@**your usual connection realm** this evening.

Guy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Wed 18-Jul-12 12:54:24
Print Post

[re: gb7] [link to this post]

Hi gb7,

More than likely if you can't connect using the test username bt_test@startup_domain, the following test username bt_test_user@**your usual connection realm** will not connect. It may give more of an idea where the fault is though.

Can you pm your username and I'll have a look for you.

Regards

Chris
ETA
Apologies missed the above post, still getting used to the BBS. Matthew has updated you in regards to trying to solve it.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email

Edited by chrispurvey (Wed 18-Jul-12 13:07:22)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to