User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Herbalist
(member) Fri 27-Jul-12 19:00:10
Print Post

MAAF/plusnet domain hosting integration?

[link to this post]

OK - sorted out ongoing service with MAAF for now but...

I'd actually like a higher level than the MAAF 5gig and not as high as 20 so the plusnet 10gig looks like an idea. However every since I started with MAAF some years back they have hosted a domain for me (used solely for email) and I know last year that was not possible with plusnet. On the phone today the COT person who was very helpful told me that I could continue with a MAAF account for mail as long as I had a plusnet account for broadband. What I want to know (someone from plusnet maybe smile) is was she right/is that possible now? I'll supply any more info if it helps.

TIA
Herby
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jul-12 22:50:57
Print Post

Re: MAAF/plusnet domain hosting integration?

[re: Herbalist] [link to this post]

A number of points to consider
The Plusnet current packages don't include hosting so you can't move the domain across
The Plusnet products are all traffic shaped unless you take the Pro option but if you aren't interested in massive downloads, usenet or P2P you probably won't notice it
Continuing with the MAAF account for email is possible but there is a charge of £1.69 per month http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=106288 however retaining a hosted domain is much more problematical and you may well have to host it elsewhere
Standard User Herbalist
(member) Sat 28-Jul-12 08:56:31
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Many thanks -useful info. That thread looks to suggest that MAAF email can continue (& nothing about a cost either?). I confess I did wonder about the idea that the domain would continue without issues given last year someone said they could not do that. Pity - I may have to look further afield which I would prefer not to really but the domain has been around for many years now and both partner and I use it for main emails mostly. The cost of hosting it elsewhere would negate any benefit of plusnet deals I think.

Appreciated
Herby

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jul-12 10:06:55
Print Post

You missed the bit about the cost of using MAAF email
In regards to your email, you can keep your email account, this would be charged at £1.69 per month to have an active MAAF email account.

Kind Regards,

Chris
However in your case using your own website would make that irrelevant.
Of course with the £50 cash back you can pay for hosting for over 3 years http://www.tsohost.co.uk/ has a basic one for £14.99 per year with 10 email addresses
Standard User Herbalist
(member) Sat 28-Jul-12 10:57:41
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Aah - not planning to shift the phone anyway (for now) so the 50 quid doesn't come into it. Link appreciated - I might start trawling for that kind of hosting option I guess. Lazy but having it with MAAF is simple and has mostly been trouble free! If MAAf would continue to host the domain for mail for 1.69pm it might be the easy way out.

Thanks
Herby
ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Mon 30-Jul-12 14:03:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Herbalist:
If MAAf would continue to host the domain for mail for 1.69pm it might be the easy way out.

Yep, that can be arranged, you'd just need to request the account is downgraded to Justmail.

Whatever you do, don't request the account is downgraded to a non-subscription pay-as-you-go account. When that happens the system 'de-tags' your domain and it can be a bit of a PITA sorting the subsequent problems out.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Herbalist
(member) Mon 30-Jul-12 16:22:07
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Thanks all - info appreciated. I'll likely look at the tsohost solution I think (with another domain I have as well) and then move to a plusnet account when I've plucked up the courage to move the domain smile

Cheers
Herby
  Print Thread

Jump to