User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Herbalist
(member) Wed 29-Aug-12 10:05:39
Print Post

Issues moving a domain away from MAAF

[link to this post]

I've always appreciated the info and advice I've had on the forums here and others may find this of interest. For years MAAF have hosted a domain used solely for email by me which has sort of tied me to them. I was considering moving to Plusnet so decided to move the domain elsewhere (Tsohost - thanks to the advice received via here - appreciated) so folk may like to contrast these experiences.

I moved a .com domain to Tso from another host. It took under 3 hours including getting an EPP code via a support ticket system and there was no charge.

In trying to move the email domain from MAAF I found where to do it very easily. I selected the new host and pressed next and was horrified to find a charge of £25 would be made. Anyone could be in this neat money making trap and might like to know that Nominet will do it for 10 quid plus vat and are very helpful indeed - it is instant.

Needless to say this is the last straw in my relationship with MAAF - I just need to make up my mind whether I really want to go to Plusnet under the circumstances. Folk may find this experience of interest/use.

Cheers
Herby

Edited by Herbalist (Wed 29-Aug-12 10:12:40)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 29-Aug-12 12:13:29
Print Post

Re: Issues moving a domain away from MAAF

[re: Herbalist] [link to this post]

This has been raised many times here - the £25 charge does seem excessive (I have paid it myself once, long ago) but MAAF look on it as some compensation for hosting the domain free of charge for however long. As you say, it can be avoided but look at it as history and don't host domains with ISPs in future!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Herbalist
(member) Wed 29-Aug-12 12:49:09
Print Post

Re: Issues moving a domain away from MAAF

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Agreed. I guess I would just say that for something like 6 years I don't consider it has been "free" as I've paid MAAF every month and the hosting was part of the package. However as you say - lesson learnt and at least now I am ISP independent which is rather nice smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to