User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robski1
(learned) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:07:10
Print Post

Router Problems

[link to this post]

I have been using the BT Voyager 2110 router supplied by Globalnet since 2006.
I have never had any problems and have been getting consistant download speeds of 12meg and upload speeds of 0.9 meg on both my Desktop PC, connect by cable, and my Laptop connected by WiFi.

Over the last few days the download speed via the cable has been going up and down like a Yo-Yo. The wireless connection is perfect.

If I connect my Laptop by cable instead of wireless I get the same Yo-Yo problem indicating that the problem seems to be with the router not the PCs.

When using any of the available speedtesters, the download speed goes up and down several times during the test but the upload speed is constant.

Does anyone have any ideas or do you think it's time for a new router?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:11:28
Print Post

Re: Router Problems

[re: robski1] [link to this post]

Have you tried a different cable
Standard User robski1
(learned) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:38:32
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I have tried 2 other cables and they made no difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:38:43
Print Post

Have you tried connecting the cable to the the other ethernet ports at the back of the V 2110?

Can you borrow another router+modem to try wired up to the PC?

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Fri 15-Mar-13 15:40:11)

Standard User robski1
(learned) Fri 15-Mar-13 16:21:45
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Hi Alistair, have tried all the ports and results are the same.

Will try and borrow another router from somewhere. Not sure where yet.
Standard User TerryD
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Mar-13 14:47:36
Print Post

My old 2110 did exactly the same thing a few weeks back, fine on wireless but all LAN ports dead. Fortunately I had a spare 2091 gathering dust in the attic, connected that up and all good again.

If you speak nicely to those kind people in support they might work out some kind of deal in return for their latest model (which probably isn't a good on wirelss as your old 2110). Alternatively there are loads of 2110's and 2091's on Ebay for about a fiver or less but be advised they may be locked to BT Internet and will need some tweaking to work with MaaF.

Terry

Terry

Freenetname MAX Premier
Standard User robski1
(learned) Mon 18-Mar-13 19:18:39
Print Post

[re: TerryD] [link to this post]

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your input, LAN ports are not yet dead but download speed still all over the place. Wireless connection is perfect.

I have managed to borrow a Thompson 585v7 and a D-Linl DSL-G624T from my nephew. He says I can keep one of them if it solves the problem.

I will try them tomorrow. Do you know which might be the best?

Rob.
Standard User TerryD
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Mar-13 20:31:05
Print Post

MaaF supplied the D-Link G624T as their standard router for quite a while and all the necessary info is still in the support pages of their website. I did set up quite a few for referrals at the time, they worked fine on standard ADSL, no reason why it shouldn't on your ADSL2.

Maaf also supplied the Thompson around the time of the merger with Plusnet and give different set up instructions for routers supplied before and after the merger. The Maaf one was vanilla whereas the Plusnet one was customised. If your's wasn't supplied by Plusnet it's likely the MaaF instructions will be the way to go - that's if you need to bother with them!!

Probably prefer the D-Link personally, there are quite a few Maaf supplied ones in our village going strong although we are still stuck in the dark ages of 20CN so I've no experience of 21CN performance.

My LAN ports just died on me, however my best guess would be it's a similar problem.

Must change my signature sometime now I've jumped ship to Plusnet!!

Terry

Freenetname MAX Premier
Standard User robski1
(learned) Wed 20-Mar-13 07:33:30
Print Post

[re: TerryD] [link to this post]

Tried both routers but went with the Thomson as it seems to have the better WiFi signal in my house.

Although it has improved the situation, the broadband speed still seems to "pulse" when connected by cable but the average speed has improved. Speed via the WiFi is still steady at around 12 meg.

Any Ideas re the pulsing. Turning off the anti virus makes no difference.
Standard User robski1
(learned) Wed 20-Mar-13 21:28:01
Print Post

Not to sure what has happened but all seems OK now.

I decided to try several speed tests with my PC in safe mode and everything worked as it should. Steady download speeds of around 12 meg.

Restarted the PC in normal mode and all is still OK.

Still using the Thomson router. Fingers crossed things will continue to work OK.

I have noticed that the Thomson router runs much cooler than the BT Voyager.
  Print Thread

Jump to