User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Wed 16-Jul-14 12:55:57
Print Post

Re: MAAF Broadband costs

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My exchange (Nettlebed) has no LLU presence whatsoever. I would like to move away from MAAF (a) because with the demise of a decent discount it has become too expensive, and (b) the cap of 5GB per month is beginning to look silly. I do however want to hang on to my domain name, which harks back to the old days of freenetname, and which now belongs to MAAF. I don't really want to change my landline, currently BT.

Where can I get all this for around a tenner a month?
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 13:39:11
Print Post

[re: kbturner] [link to this post]

At 5GB/mo you are obviously not a high Torrent or Streamer user. You might be better off with a mobile solution. My T-Mobile PAYG phone offers 6 month "Unlimited" Internet, including tethering, for £20.
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Wed 16-Jul-14 14:04:54
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

My T-Mobile PAYG phone offers 6 month "Unlimited" Internet, including tethering, for £20.

Is that £20 per month, or £20 for six months?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 14:09:08
Print Post

£20 for 6 months Looky here

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Wed 16-Jul-14 14:28:17)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Jul-14 21:51:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by kbturner:
(a) because with the demise of a decent discount it has become too expensive,

Last time I tried MAAF (via Plusnet customer options number) were perfectly happy to continue a discount for a further 12 months.
In reply to a post by kbturner:
I do however want to hang on to my domain name, which harks back to the old days of freenetname, and which now belongs to MAAF.

It doesn't "belong to MAAF", it belongs to you and you can easily transfer it to another registrar, although I believe MAAF still charges an exorbitant £25 to do this - but you can halve this charge by doing it through Nominet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 72152/19999 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Fri 18-Jul-14 14:28:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Last time I tried MAAF (via Plusnet customer options number) were perfectly happy to continue a discount for a further 12 months.

True, but the discount offered, previously from £14.99 to £9.99, is now something like £12.99

It doesn't "belong to MAAF", it belongs to you and you can easily transfer it to another registrar, although I believe MAAF still charges an exorbitant £25 to do this - but you can halve this charge by doing it through Nominet.

Of course you are right, MAAF doesn't 'own' my domain, they are merely the registrars. However I didn't realise that Nominet could do the transfer for £12.00 + VAT, which as you rightly say is about half what MAAF want to charge. So thanks for that.

However I'm still looking for an ISP that can give me more than 5GB per month, is willing to become the registrar of my domain name, at a cost of around £10.00 pm. Any suggestions? I understand my exchange (Nettlebed) is totally non-LLU, so most of the super fast, super-cheap deals out there are not available to me.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Jul-14 17:08:34
Print Post

I think it would be worth finding out what they could offer you on a Plusnet unlimited package. The price could be close to what you want as long as Plusnet handles the phone as well - I have had no problem whatsoever with Plusnet's phone package, why are you particularly attached to BT?

As for the domain, I think you should separate the issue of ISP and domain registrar. My registrar, Tsohost, could handle it (and their prices are very competitive) as could any number of others, such as 1&1.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 72152/19999 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 18-Jul-14 17:10:35)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:13:13
Print Post

As your exchange is classed like mine as market 1 then you should get a good deal for unlimited BB if you speak to the PN Customer Options Team but in order to get the cheapest deal that they can offer you the line rental has to be moved to PN and the contract could be for 24 months, it was for me nine months ago. As mentioned other companies can sort out the domain name issue.
You won't get all you are looking for from an ISP for £10.00 a month when connected to a market 1 exchange, have a look at the Eclipse website for example.

plusnet user
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:37:27
Print Post

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...

BT unlimited is £8 for 6 months then £16 a month thereafter
Also get a £25 sainsburys voucher
Whoever you go with you will want to switch line rental and calls over as well for a good deal

I think that's around the best price for unlimited on market 1. Other options will be similar prices.

That being said £12 for 5gb is awful in my opinion.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:38:21
Print Post

OR BT do 10gb for £10. If you think that would be enough smile
£5 for six months
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to