User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Tue 09-Jul-13 16:32:13
Print Post

MAAF Broadband costs

[link to this post]

For umpteen years I have negotiated a discount in return for committing to a 12-month contract, which meant that the MAAF package with a 5GB cap was costing me £9.99 per month (as opposed to £14.99 without the contract).

On attempting to renew this arrangement I am informed that "we no longer do this deal", and the best they can offer is a 15% discount, resulting in a cost of £12.74 - or a 28% increase on what I have been paying.

Has anyone else encountered this rather shabby treatment?
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Tue 09-Jul-13 16:37:36
Print Post

Re: MAAF Broadband costs

[re: kbturner] [link to this post]

Well I did not even try to get a reduction this year and moved to plusnet unlimited for £1 less than my old deal as I had heard that old discounts were a thing of the past. and kept my madasafish account as just mail for £1.69 a month to kep my aincient globalnet address and domain going.

So only a few pennies more than the 50gb package on maff (with massive discount) for truley unlimited on plusnet.

Transfer took approx 3 days and only had to change my username in router as kept the same password.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now part of plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 50db on adsl2 or 53.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Tue 09-Jul-13 17:11:48
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

Well the Plusnet website quotes me £17.99 (£15.49 with a 12-month contract) for their 10GB package, which doesn't exactly bowl me over ....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-13 17:17:55
Print Post

This means you are outside the lo-cost footprint of PlusNet, who also run Madasafish.

Some have said that if you can get Sky and TalkTalk LLU on your exchange PlusNet might be willing to go down a little on the price if you call them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-13 19:30:30
Print Post

My discounted 5GB maaf package was renewed earlier in the year at a cost of 50p more per month but the new discount only lasts for ten months.

It was suggested to me by the COT that in order to get a "deal" the next time I should take out a phone package + BB with Plusnet if their 10GB package would be of interest to me.

At the moment I am paying a very small amount ... considering the exchange is 20CN and market 1 ... for the 5GB package with a free fixed IP addy so I might well be a loss leader laugh

So can't complain at the moment as I guess all good things eventually come to an end with madasafish Plusnet tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-13 19:52:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by kbturner:
Well the Plusnet website quotes me £17.99 (£15.49 with a 12-month contract) for their 10GB package, which doesn't exactly bowl me over ....

Could be worth getting in touch with the Plusnet COT (customer options team) to see what the packages cost for a madasafish customer swimming over to PN?

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-13 05:49:05
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

They will talk deals if you take adsl + phone but no deals on adsl only.

Just done it

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now part of plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 50db on adsl2 or 53.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Wed 10-Jul-13 10:47:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

According to SamKnows, my exchange (Nettlebed) is designated Market 1, and has ADSL and ADSL Max enabled, but absolutely zilch by way of LLU operator presence
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-13 11:55:43
Print Post

Double check what options the providers offer, as SamKnows can be well out of date as Sky and TalkTalk continue to roll-out, not as fast as in in the past, but TalkTalk is close to 95% coverage these days.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-13 17:31:45
Print Post

Hmmm,

but TalkTalk is close to 95% coverage these days.

Wouldn't have thought LLU providers would install their gear into exchanges with less than 900 premises served?

They certainly haven't in rural North West Scotland tongue smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Wed 16-Jul-14 12:55:57
Print Post

My exchange (Nettlebed) has no LLU presence whatsoever. I would like to move away from MAAF (a) because with the demise of a decent discount it has become too expensive, and (b) the cap of 5GB per month is beginning to look silly. I do however want to hang on to my domain name, which harks back to the old days of freenetname, and which now belongs to MAAF. I don't really want to change my landline, currently BT.

Where can I get all this for around a tenner a month?
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 13:39:11
Print Post

At 5GB/mo you are obviously not a high Torrent or Streamer user. You might be better off with a mobile solution. My T-Mobile PAYG phone offers 6 month "Unlimited" Internet, including tethering, for £20.
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Wed 16-Jul-14 14:04:54
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

My T-Mobile PAYG phone offers 6 month "Unlimited" Internet, including tethering, for £20.

Is that £20 per month, or £20 for six months?
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 14:09:08
Print Post

£20 for 6 months Looky here

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Wed 16-Jul-14 14:28:17)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Jul-14 21:51:36
Print Post

(a) because with the demise of a decent discount it has become too expensive,

Last time I tried MAAF (via Plusnet customer options number) were perfectly happy to continue a discount for a further 12 months.
I do however want to hang on to my domain name, which harks back to the old days of freenetname, and which now belongs to MAAF.

It doesn't "belong to MAAF", it belongs to you and you can easily transfer it to another registrar, although I believe MAAF still charges an exorbitant £25 to do this - but you can halve this charge by doing it through Nominet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 72152/19999 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Fri 18-Jul-14 14:28:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Last time I tried MAAF (via Plusnet customer options number) were perfectly happy to continue a discount for a further 12 months.

True, but the discount offered, previously from £14.99 to £9.99, is now something like £12.99

It doesn't "belong to MAAF", it belongs to you and you can easily transfer it to another registrar, although I believe MAAF still charges an exorbitant £25 to do this - but you can halve this charge by doing it through Nominet.

Of course you are right, MAAF doesn't 'own' my domain, they are merely the registrars. However I didn't realise that Nominet could do the transfer for £12.00 + VAT, which as you rightly say is about half what MAAF want to charge. So thanks for that.

However I'm still looking for an ISP that can give me more than 5GB per month, is willing to become the registrar of my domain name, at a cost of around £10.00 pm. Any suggestions? I understand my exchange (Nettlebed) is totally non-LLU, so most of the super fast, super-cheap deals out there are not available to me.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Jul-14 17:08:34
Print Post

I think it would be worth finding out what they could offer you on a Plusnet unlimited package. The price could be close to what you want as long as Plusnet handles the phone as well - I have had no problem whatsoever with Plusnet's phone package, why are you particularly attached to BT?

As for the domain, I think you should separate the issue of ISP and domain registrar. My registrar, Tsohost, could handle it (and their prices are very competitive) as could any number of others, such as 1&1.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 72152/19999 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Fri 18-Jul-14 17:10:35)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:13:13
Print Post

As your exchange is classed like mine as market 1 then you should get a good deal for unlimited BB if you speak to the PN Customer Options Team but in order to get the cheapest deal that they can offer you the line rental has to be moved to PN and the contract could be for 24 months, it was for me nine months ago. As mentioned other companies can sort out the domain name issue.
You won't get all you are looking for from an ISP for £10.00 a month when connected to a market 1 exchange, have a look at the Eclipse website for example.

plusnet user
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:37:27
Print Post

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...

BT unlimited is £8 for 6 months then £16 a month thereafter
Also get a £25 sainsburys voucher
Whoever you go with you will want to switch line rental and calls over as well for a good deal

I think that's around the best price for unlimited on market 1. Other options will be similar prices.

That being said £12 for 5gb is awful in my opinion.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:38:21
Print Post

OR BT do 10gb for £10. If you think that would be enough smile
£5 for six months
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Sun 20-Jul-14 09:05:26
Print Post

Re: MAAF Broadband costs *DELETED*

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Post deleted by bob12345
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Sun 20-Jul-14 09:07:51
Print Post

i am with PN on a market 1 exchange , i have phone and bb with them i got bb for £ 5.99 a month on a 24 month contact back in december
Standard User kbturner
(regular) Mon 21-Jul-14 13:19:07
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

I've just been on the PlusNet website, and for a broadband-only service they're quoting me £22.49pm with no contract, £19.99 with 12-month contract. Admittedly this is with unlimited usage, but there appears to be no other option.

If I opt for phone service as well, the cost is £25.95 for the first 12 months including line rental, on 12-month contract. This includes a promotional discount of £7.49pm.

I guess this ties in with your figure of £5.99pm for broadband.

I'm slightly tempted, but am a bit reluctant to change my phone service supplier.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jul-14 13:31:51
Print Post

Don't rely on what it says on the website, call them (Customer Options) to see if you can get a better deal.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to