User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RegulatoryZen
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-15 11:02:41
Print Post

Re: Madasafish RIP

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Sorry to see this once great brand go.

At the start of Madasafish there was only a small handful of us at Iomart who designed, developed and launched Madasafish and then later, Jing's, the lifestyle ISP brands that we wanted to be fresh, interesting and a bit off the wall.

Madasafish was certainly that and one of the first ISP brands anywhere to offer MP3 songs exclusively and other content. I think Moby (Remember him) being the first music artist who allowed us to offer one of his new tracks as an exclusive download to Madasafish customers (We don't bat an eye lid nowadays at doing that).

Does anyone remember when we used to give away the Diamond Rio's to customers who simply rang in to say they'd had a fault or similar, as compensation for the inconvenience. I never did get one for myself wink

We had a great team back then, some brilliant ideas, a fabulous designer in Matt who came up with all of the Red Dude livery, Madasafish branding along with the late and sadly missed marketing Manager, Forrest Duncan (Bless).

And let's not forget Neil Finlayson, Unix Shellfish who built the network, Captain Codpiece aka (Moi) who wrote 'Madazine' and Angus 'Head Haddock' who put the money in to do it all.

'Freedom For The Net Generation for 12 months at least, and yes we were indeed all 'Funkin Mad.'

Best wishes to all Madasafish customers and staff past and present.

Regards
Gary
Standard User kbturner
(member) Wed 16-Sep-15 13:59:00
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
What about freenetname email and domains will they likely go up the spout as well?

I hadn't received any email from PlusNet about this, but I rang 0800 731 7508 and received a verbal assurance that my madasafish JustMail account (which is billed separately at £1.69 per month, and which I maintain in order to retain my domain name and webspace), will be unaffected by this closure on 15th December. I also received the following email as confirmation:

This email is to confirm we will be keeping your account open after 15th December when we are closing down the mad as a fish service. The accounts we are closing are the ones with active phone/broadband subscriptions.

I would prefer that the domain name and web space facility be integrated into my PlusNet account, but this appears not to be an option.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 10:09:25
Print Post

They are also getting rid of the metronet name as well and moving people over to plusnet.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Sun 04-Oct-15 20:57:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
From http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143839

Important information - closure notice of Madasafish from 15th December 2015

As you may know, Madasafish was bought by Plusnet back in 2007. Over the last eight years you've benefited from our award-winning customer service and now we also want to make sure you're getting the best value for money and access to our latest products and packages. That's why we've made the decision to close Madasafish and give you, our valued customer, an easy no hassle option to transfer your service to Plusnet.

Plusnet is an award-winning broadband provider with a range of products like unlimited broadband, super-fast fibre, phone and YouView TV from Plusnet*. See our list of awards at www.plus.net/awards.

What happens next?

Please call us on 0800 731 7508 to talk through what's on offer and start your move to Plusnet today. If you use your Madasafish email address, we strongly recommend you contact us as soon as possible, as from 15th December you will no longer be able to use your Madasafish service^.

Best wishes,

David Leather
Chief Operating Officer, Plusnet

They are good at taking services better than them and killing them.. As Metronet was proof of that fact.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Sun 04-Oct-15 20:58:37
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
They are also getting rid of the metronet name as well and moving people over to plusnet.

Shame - but if people want to still stay with Metronet then there is another one at http://www.metronet-uk.com/ - not the same company but the same name and service type smile

Edited by ZenUserJP (Sun 04-Oct-15 20:59:25)

Standard User rnewfie
(committed) Sat 17-Oct-15 20:43:25
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Does anybody on this board know what is going on with this? I have posted on Plusnet's forum (copied below) and no-one has responded.
The last update from a Plusnet member of staff was on 24th September.
I have opened a ticket with Plusnet and no response.
Less than 2 months away and Plusnet won't even let me know if I am going to have a service any more.

''Why was I not informed about this? I only happened to come onto this thread whilst searching for something else. I am not surprised really, because I was an active user of 'formmail' until plusnet pulled the plug on it without informing me. I lost several hundred customer enquiries before I realised and when I contacted plusnet support, all they did was apologise and suggest that I use someone else's 'formmail' facility!
There is clearly a lack of communication within Plusnet. They seem to think that they can change or remove facilities or functionality and not inform their customers.

This major change is less than 2 months away now and several people will probably end up with no service.

I have been with Plusnet (or companies which have been swallowed up by it) for over 16 years.
I was originally with Brightview, which was taken over by Globalnet.
Globalnet was taken over by Madasafish.
Madasafish was taken over by Plusnet.

My current situation :-
1) I have a main email address of 'user'@globalnet.co.uk. This can additionally be accessed by 'anything'@'user'.globalnet.co.uk. Because I am not using a plusnet email address, I have to use the madasafish web site to access webmail, which is also where I have to go to configure my spam filter. What happens to this arrangement after December? Will my globalnet email addresses still be functional? How do I configure my spam filter in future?

2) I have a web site hosted on www.users.globalnet.co.uk. What happens to this web site and how do I access it after December?

3) Emails sent to my web site are directed to my globalnet.co.uk email address via nominet. Do I need to change anything here?

May I suggest that instead of fire-fighting all of the queries you are getting from your customers, that you put together a comprehensive document detailing how the demise of madasafish is going to affect everyone. Doing it this way in a piecemeal fashion just comes across as un-professional.

If my business is impacted again by your un-announced changes to my terms and conditions, then I for one will be suing for breach of contract and loss of earnings.''

Edited by rnewfie (Sat 17-Oct-15 20:44:13)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Oct-15 20:56:51
Print Post

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rnewfie:
If my business is impacted again by your un-announced changes to my terms and conditions, then I for one will be suing for breach of contract and loss of earnings.''

You could try that approach, but I think the terms and conditions are likely to allow service to be discontinued after a notice period. You have a duty to mitigate your losses, and now you are aware of the pending changes, you have time to put alternative arrangements in place. In any event, damages for consequential loss are limited to losses flowing directly from the breach, so you might well struggle with a loss of earnings claim.

Arguably a better approach is to start the process of moving your web and e-mail to a domain you control.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Oct-15 10:30:08
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:

You could try that approach, but I think the terms and conditions are likely to allow service to be discontinued after a notice period.
That might be true but...
''Why was I not informed about this?
If they don't formally notify him he'd have every right to sue.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User rnewfie
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-15 10:56:15
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

'the terms and conditions are likely to allow service to be discontinued after a notice period.'
That is the point - I haven't been notified of any changes. I don't even know if this will affect me and after 2 days of opening a ticket, I still haven't had an acknowledgement that they are looking at if I am affected.

This is not customer service that one would expect from an established ISP.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Oct-15 15:45:42
Print Post

[re: rnewfie] [link to this post]

3) Emails sent to my web site are directed to my globalnet.co.uk email address via nominet. Do I need to change anything here?

It wouldn't be via Nominet, they don't do that sort of thing. I'm guessing you are talking about itpaysdividends.co.uk, which is registered through Netnames/ASCIO, so it is likely that they are handling any redirection.

Everything I have read so far indicates that your services should continue, although you will have to ensure that this is explicitly requested. If I were you I would move it all to a proper web hosting service like Tsohost. As for not being notified, that is odd. Notification should have been sent to the email address recorded on https://secure.madasafish.com/myaccountdx/my-details/ (login required).

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 18-Oct-15 19:57:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to