User comments on ISPs
  >> Madasafish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FishOutOfWater
(learned) Sat 25-Jun-16 15:12:47
Print Post

IOS Mail settings for Madasafish 'email only' accounts

[link to this post]

I realise that Madasafish broadband (BB) has been closed for some time (BB services transferred to PlusNet), but there are still active Madasafish 'email only' accounts (like mine) ... and there still appears to be activity on this forum, so I'm posting this question here as it relates to such a 'legacy' Madasafish email account ...

Can anyone please tell me what the correct settings should be in IOS (for iPhone/iPad) for an old 'username@madasafish.com' email account?

I've never managed to get my madasafish email accounts to work quite right on my iPhone/iPad - e.g. emails deleted on my iPhone are still sometimes (but not always) downloaded to Windows Live Mail (WLM) on my PC, even if I do the WLM (PC) download hours after the emails were deleted on the iPhone.
This IOS mail settings issue has not been helped by the fact that a fairly recent update to (version of) IOS appeared to automatically convert the madasafish mail accounts to 'IMAP' accounts on the iPhone/iPad, though I believe that these legacy madasafish email accounts are 'POP' mail accounts.
I realise that IMAP accounts are designed to be accessed from multiple devices (that's their philosophy), but the Madasafish email accounts are what they are (POP accounts), and changing email addresses is such a fundamental thing with such a huge knock-on effect all over the web (used as the 'username' for many online accounts and services, etc).
Note that I've already looked in the FAQs on the legacy Madasfish website, but the email settings info is essentially for Windows-based mail (but I don't have a mail settings issue with WLM), and it appears to be very old info anyway.
I've also looked in the FAQs on the PlusNet website, but there doesn't appear to be any info regarding the settings for 'madasafish.com' email accounts, because they're such 'old hat' now!

Any assistance that anyone can give with this would be hugely appreciated.
If it'd be more appropriate to post this question on a PlusNet community forum, then I can certainly do that.

Many thanks!
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-16 15:22:11
Print Post

Re: IOS Mail settings for Madasafish 'email only' accounts

[re: FishOutOfWater] [link to this post]

IMAP should work. Use mail.madasafish.com for incoming and outgoing mail server, log in with MAAF email address and password (for incoming and outgoing). Incoming server port 143, outgoing port 587.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64000/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
(learned) Sat 25-Jun-16 15:49:15
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Many thanks, Kevin! - I'll try that ...
Cheers,
Andy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Sun 26-Jun-16 19:18:13
Print Post

My pop3 settings work on my ipad and iPhone .

from my old globalnet account days using my just mail account never swapped to imap?

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
(learned) Sun 26-Jun-16 20:41:42
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info mate.
I think I've got there in the end.
I had to change the passwords on our Madasafish email accounts (for other reasons) ...
... and I then found that incoming email wouldn't work on our iPads/iPhones using either the 'pop' or 'imap' Madasafish incoming mail servers (for reasons that technical support couldn't fathom, especially as it still worked on the PC using the 'pop' incoming servers with the new passwords).
So, I ended up having to use the Plusnet 'imap' incoming and outgoing mail servers in the iPad/iPhone mail settings ... which seems to work fine.

Regarding the Pop to iMap swap on iPhones/iPads, assuming you have the latest iOS version, if you look at your iOS mail settings, you'll probably find that they're now labelled 'IMAP ACCOUNT INFORMATION', even if the Pop mail servers are still used to make the connections - an iOS version change did this automatically, though you were probably unaware of it, especially as it clearly still works for you with the Pop servers.

Oh well, sounds like things are working for us both using different settings, so I guess we're both happy! ...

Thanks again,
Andy
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-16 08:32:08
Print Post

latest on iPad air 2 and beta on iPhone 6s

Just one question are you getting full imap functionality between devices ? if so may swap to imap settings

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
(learned) Wed 29-Jun-16 21:59:33
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

Hi Adam,

Well, I'm no great expert on imap, but I understand that it's designed for use on multiple devices, and I'm certainly not having to do any 'double-working' on my iPhone and iPad (e.g no need to read/delete/move/etc the same emails twice). So I guess it's working well ...
Probably worth a try on your devices, but make a note of your current settings, just in case you have to swap back! ...

Cheers,
Andy
  Print Thread

Jump to