User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User keithwjones
(member) Wed 05-Jan-11 11:48:01
Print Post

Livebox Rebooting Itself

[link to this post]

Well I have had a good run, good connection and speed. On Weston-super-Mare exchange Up to 8 LLU. Speeds above 6. Using Livebox and the talk phone.

Yesterday Livebox started rebooting itself. Stats remanining constant:

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode : ADSL2+
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 9.3
Attenuation (dB) : 38.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 7659
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 7627 605

Not seeing this reported as major problem so I had better start looking at filters, psu and Livebox.

Keith
(member) Wed 05-Jan-11 15:38:22
Print Post

Re: Livebox Rebooting Itself

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

Held up most of the morning but has just come up with theses stats:

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode : ADSL2
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 14.8
Attenuation (dB) : 37.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 5532
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 5495 440

Are they changing the connection?

Keith
(member) Wed 05-Jan-11 15:49:22
Print Post

Now changing between ADSL2+ and ADSL2 with similar stats as above, depending on which one it is.

Keith

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(learned) Wed 05-Jan-11 16:34:20
Print Post

Just a cautionary tale: this happened to me a couple of years back (although my attenuation was 48dB and max. conn. speed therefore 5.5Meg. The problem in my case being the hundreds of joints on the local loop underground cables where repairs have been made). The problem continued intermittently for 5 months before connection was lost altogether until after (I am told) "trying everything" with a full day at the exchange the Orange engineer restored the connection at a "fixed" 4 Meg (which has since BT took over the contracted management halved again) though a consistent ADSL2+. If you've eliminated the obvious in the premises (filters and tried the test socket/different router), I think line instability so you could get Orange to do their standard line test and/or try and get a new power unit (any noise on BT's quiet line test 17070 option 2 which you could report as a voice fault, it works on Orange lines). If you rely on the second line, I believe they no longer will make a new connection to the service. with a replacement router.

If you're on an old discounted package a further warning of a possible trick: my account page shows my max speed as the 2Meg currently achieved on the up to 8 Meg package I'm on, but at 4Meg (which I got for a couple of years) on their 20Meg packages, which they might think is an incentive to upgrade, or am I just too cynical?

Edited by smurf46 (Wed 05-Jan-11 16:46:08)

(member) Wed 05-Jan-11 16:53:09
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Thanks for reply - some good points.

Yes I rely on 2nd line, I'm on the £17.99 rate but as it has been rock solid I was happy to stay with it.

I do not understand how it goes between ADSL2+ and ADSL2.

Keith
  Print Thread

Jump to