User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 14:47:51
Print Post

any help on how to improve orange netgear wireless signal?

[link to this post]

4 computers at home, 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs and for some reasons we get no or very slow signal upstairs so no internet.
i tried changing the router position, changed wireless channel but no luck.
what else could be interferring the wireless signal? one of my flatmate is a bit gothic and she has a 2 weird big mirrors in her bedroom,could that affect the wireless signal?
please help
Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 15:16:50
Print Post

Re: any help on how to improve orange netgear wireless signa

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

can you put your router upstairs, any phone sockets up there.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Feb-11 15:36:22
Print Post

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

As you are in a small flat it is likely you are surrounded by lots of other wireless networks and your channel is clashing with some of those.

Install MetaGeek's inSSIDer and look for a freer channel. Most users leave their router on the default channel set by their ISP. You might avoid these by choosing the extreme channels 1 or 13.

I'm surprised that you are having trouble with the signal strength of a Netgear router. I can see my Netgear DG834GT (or even the Orange supplied Siemens SE572) all round a large house. Hence I don't think it's the router itself, but more likely channel congestion.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Feb-11 18:19:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Also maybe lots of steel rebar in the floor not helping with the transmission

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 19:53:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

i have got the Netgear DGN1000 from orange , i know that software you mentioned ,i tried it ,i changed it to channel 8 since no one around has it,i ll try for a while,and see how it goes,i reckon my flatmate's mirror affects the signal,as in her bedroom there is no internet what so ever
  Print Thread

Jump to