User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BorgMaster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Apr-11 12:22:47
Print Post

Confused - ADSL2+ / LLU

[link to this post]

Ok so I joined Orange about 6-8 months ago. Before I did I checked to see if my exchange had an LLU prescence, it does (TOLL BAR - Coventry exchange). So I took the plunge and joined up, being assured by the orange customer service team I would be on the LLU side of things.

My confusion is this:

In reference to :
For Telephone Number 02476****** on Exchange TOLL BAR

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 12.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 6Mbps.

But from my router stats:

Current Training Status : Showtime
Current trained adsl mode : G.Dmt
Current trained adsl path : Interleaved
Downstream Bit Rate : 5184000 bps
Downstream Noise Margin : 13.0 dB
Downstream Attenuation : 19.0 dB
Upstream Bit Rate : 448000 bps
Upstream Noise Margin : 21 dB
Upstream Attenuation : 35.0 dB

I'm still connected via the typical ADSL1 mode.

Any advice or information in how to chase this up would be appreciated. Unless of course there is nothing more to be done here...

Thanks for your time

BT Broadband

On Netgear DG834G

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 13:33:42
Print Post

Re: Confused - ADSL2+ / LLU

[re: BorgMaster] [link to this post]

Since Orange have set up a collaboration with BT it seems that they are not putting new joiners on LLU but on BT systems. As your exchange is not 21CN enabled, you will have been put on IPStream ADSL Max. I did not realise that they were doing this as long ago as 6-8 months ago. You were unlucky and perhaps mis sold as your line is capable of 20 Meg if your Down Attn. can be believed frown. However, there is something strange with your stats as Down Attn. should be about 2 x Up Attn.

See here for a discussion: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/f/3965846...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Apr-11 13:22:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If memory serves right, there was a version of dg834g firmware that showed the attenuations the wrong way around

Even then the downstream sync speed is lower than it could be, so time for person to try and get the stats again when using the test socket on the master socket

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-11 13:43:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah! In which case he could get about 12 Meg on ADSL2+.

But that does not look like Netgear stats (despite his sig), but, of course, could be dependent on firmware.
EDIT: OK, just checked! It's a DG834G v5. OP might be better off with a v4 or GT Broadcom chipset; may give better speeds

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 05-Apr-11 13:55:34)

Print Thread

Jump to