User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jwilko
(newbie) Fri 08-Apr-11 20:44:05
Print Post

Wildly fluctuating noise margin: can't keep good speed

[link to this post]

I've been with Orange for about 6 months now with rubbish connection speeds and fairly regular disconnects. We had the phone reconnected when we moved in, and a new master socket put in (don't know how much of the external cabling was new) as the previous owner didn't have a landline. It regularly wouldn't connect for multiple days during the first month, so I phoned Orange regularly.

Eventually they sent out a BT engineer who just replaced the front panel of the master socket with a Openreach split phone/ADSL one (can't remember its name). Coincidently (I think) the ADSL stayed connected after that, but would often reconnect at 160kbps.

A 2Wire 2700HGV helped a bit, but we're still getting regular enough slow speeds that we rarely get a profile of over 384kbit/s. We have a 52db attenuation line, so we should be looking at multiple Mbits/s, and we do often get 1.5-3.0 MBps syncs, but never quite for long enough for the profile to shift up.

So now I'm using a TG585v7 (the 2700HGV psu failed) and have discovered what a lot RouterStats can tell me. But I don't know what to do about it.

Looking at the noise margin graph over the last 24 hours, where it's been connected at 512kbps, it's varied from 3db to 33db. That 30db swing was within 40 minutes. The 3 db was when I called home from work: the noise margin had been 20db, then I phoned up and it shot down to around 7db, with a minimum of 3. As soon as hung up, ten minutes later it went up to around 31db, spiking at 33db.

I can see other incoming and outgoing phone calls from the minima in the graph, but there seems to be fluctuation of 4db within 30minute windows even when the phone's not being used.

So before I get back on to the Orange technical support people, is there anything I can do myself, or any more information I can gather? Am I right to suspect these fluctuating margins?

Oh, and there's no extensions, just one DECT phone base and one router plugged into the master sockets.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 12:46:40
Print Post

Re: Wildly fluctuating noise margin: can't keep good speed

[re: jwilko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jwilko:
I've been with Orange for about 6 months now with rubbish connection speeds and fairly regular disconnects. We had the phone reconnected when we moved in, and a new master socket put in (don't know how much of the external cabling was new) as the previous owner didn't have a landline. It regularly wouldn't connect for multiple days during the first month, so I phoned Orange regularly.

Eventually they sent out a BT engineer who just replaced the front panel of the master socket with a Openreach split phone/ADSL one (can't remember its name). Coincidently (I think) the ADSL stayed connected after that, but would often reconnect at 160kbps.

A 2Wire 2700HGV helped a bit, but we're still getting regular enough slow speeds that we rarely get a profile of over 384kbit/s. We have a 52db attenuation line, so we should be looking at multiple Mbits/s, and we do often get 1.5-3.0 MBps syncs, but never quite for long enough for the profile to shift up.

So now I'm using a TG585v7 (the 2700HGV psu failed) and have discovered what a lot RouterStats can tell me. But I don't know what to do about it.

Looking at the noise margin graph over the last 24 hours, where it's been connected at 512kbps, it's varied from 3db to 33db. That 30db swing was within 40 minutes. The 3 db was when I called home from work: the noise margin had been 20db, then I phoned up and it shot down to around 7db, with a minimum of 3. As soon as hung up, ten minutes later it went up to around 31db, spiking at 33db.

I can see other incoming and outgoing phone calls from the minima in the graph, but there seems to be fluctuation of 4db within 30minute windows even when the phone's not being used.

So before I get back on to the Orange technical support people, is there anything I can do myself, or any more information I can gather? Am I right to suspect these fluctuating margins?

Oh, and there's no extensions, just one DECT phone base and one router plugged into the master sockets.
Hi, I reckon it could be interference created by the DECT phone; some poor quality phones can cause this effect.

Have you got the DECT phone plugged into an ADSL filter? If not try it.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/3960114-rou...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User jwilko
(newbie) Mon 11-Apr-11 20:53:08
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Thanks E7er. I don't have a corded phone, so I unplugged my DECT phone overnight (from mains and phone). It lost sync at 1:20 am, and reconnected at 160kbps (sigh). Noise margin then wandered from 18 to 33db through the night. So I'm guessing it's not the phone. Good idea though.

I have an NTE2000 faceplate for my master socket, which has an integrated filter, and I don't have any filters to try. I suppose if there were still problems with the phone disconnected it wouldn't have helped.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:03:01
Print Post

[re: jwilko] [link to this post]

Any other wiring for the phones in the property?

Even though you have the faceplate its always worth trying from the test socket.

If the attenuation is pretty solid, and the noise swings are that large, I would be getting a UPS to run the ADSL modem on, a laptop and killing power to the house totally to see if that improved things, then swithing each fuse in to see which circuit if any are the source of noise. Then if one circuit causes the issue, investigating everything on that circuit.

Low Voltage lighting and security lights can be a nightmare in terms of ADSL sometimes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to