User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-11 12:54:52
Print Post

netgear problem

[link to this post]

Hello everyone im new to the forums so please be kind and if anyone could help me with a little problem i have that would be much appreciated.

Ok so i have been on the home starter package for a couple of years now. Its a 2mb connection. I was given a siemens router back when i took out the package. Last week the router packed in and stopped working. So a quick call to orange and and some kind soul agreed to send me out a new router and he did explain we no longer have the siemens router so we will send you a netgear one.

Now the problem the new router starts up but the dsl light does not come on. So i thought the line might be faulty however my neighbour who also has a siemens router plugged his in and it works fine.

Any ideas guy?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Apr-11 14:34:41
Print Post

Re: netgear problem

[re: nellynell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nellynell:
Hello everyone im new to the forums so please be kind and if anyone could help me with a little problem i have that would be much appreciated.

Ok so i have been on the home starter package for a couple of years now. Its a 2mb connection. I was given a siemens router back when i took out the package. Last week the router packed in and stopped working. So a quick call to orange and and some kind soul agreed to send me out a new router and he did explain we no longer have the siemens router so we will send you a netgear one.

Now the problem the new router starts up but the dsl light does not come on. So i thought the line might be faulty however my neighbour who also has a siemens router plugged his in and it works fine.

Any ideas guy?
Hi nellynell, you have to configure the new Netgear DGN1000 router with your Orange username and password.
In your browser address bar type http://192.168.0.1 then press enter.

Login-to-router.
Username: admin
Password: admin

Configure the router with…

Basic Settings
Does your Internet require a login? Yes.

Encapsulation:PPPoA
Multiplexing Method: VC-Based
VPI: 0
VIC: 38
DSL Mode: ADSL2+
Username:
Password:
MTU 1492

On the left under Advanced you will find WAN setup, click on that and put in at MTU Size: 1492

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sat 09-Apr-11 15:48:01)

Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-11 15:19:54
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
Hi nellynell, you have to configure the new Netgear DGN1000 router with your Orange username and password.
In your browser address bar type http://192.168.1.1 then press enter.

Login-to-router.
Username: admin
Password: admin

Configure the router with…

Basic Settings
Does your Internet require a login? Yes.

Encapsulation:PPPoA
Multiplexing Method: VC-Based
VPI: 0
VIC: 38
DSL Mode: ADSL2+
Username:
Password:
MTU 1492

On the left under Advanced you will find WAN setup, click on that and put in at MTU Size: 1492

hello E7er

thanks for your reply

i have already as you have said checked all the settings that was one of the first things i did. I accessed the netgear router by 192.168.0.1 and checked all them settings and they were already preset exactly as you stated above.

A phone call to orange and i was put through to support and was advised the router needs to sync
so i should leave it plugged in and it could take up to 48hrs.

I don't know if they are having me on?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Apr-11 15:44:17
Print Post

i have already as you have said checked all the settings that was one of the first things i did. I accessed the netgear router by 192.168.0.1 and checked all them settings and they were already preset exactly as you stated above.

A phone call to orange and i was put through to support and was advised the router needs to sync
so i should leave it plugged in and it could take up to 48hrs.

Hi nellynell, they are having you on alright! When I configured my new Orange Netgear DGN1000 router, I did not use the CD, but did use the Wizard and it connected immediately. Make sure you have the MTU 1492 otherwise it will not connect.

Re-enter your Orange username and password in the router.

Or you could reset the router to default, use a part straightened paper clip for this.

Edit. If you go to Maintenance then Backup Setting, you can reset the router to Factory Default from there.

Reconfigure the router, you will not damage anything, make sure you have the leads all connected correctly. wink

Edited by E7er (Sat 09-Apr-11 16:02:40)

Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Sat 09-Apr-11 16:09:36
Print Post

Hi nellynell, they are having you on alright! When I configured my new Orange Netgear DGN1000 router, I did not use the CD, but did use the Wizard and it connected immediately. Make sure you have the MTU 1492 otherwise it will not connect.

Re-enter your Orange username and password in the router.

Or you could reset the router to default, use a part straightened paper clip for this.

Edit. If you go to Maintenance then Backup Setting, you can reset the router to Factory Default from there.

Reconfigure the router, you will not damage anything, make sure you have the leads all connected correctly. wink

Thanks for your input E7er

right il give this another try soon as i get home im at work at the moment. Its strange how the router behaves as the dsl and internet lights both come on when i turn the router on but they both go off within 10 seconds and then im just left with the power light and wifi light on.

Orange have logged my fault and say they are doing a line test. Why they need to do that i don't know like i said soon as i plug my mates router in it starts working
Standard User savamac
(member) Sat 09-Apr-11 18:19:30
Print Post

Definitely (they think it's April 1, not 9)

Worcester Park Exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSWOR

It's only rock 'n' roll...

Old programmers never die, they just abend 0C4 ..
Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-11 08:14:43
Print Post

[re: savamac] [link to this post]

Just an update on the matter tried again last night with no success. Orange advising me to wait 48 hours leave my router plugged in so they can do a few tests.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 11:28:29
Print Post

Just an update on the matter tried again last night with no success. Orange advising me to wait 48 hours leave my router plugged in so they can do a few tests.
Hi nellynell, 48 hours has nothing to do with it, unless they are putting you on another service, which I doubt very much. crazy

You must reconfigure the Netgear DGN1000 router to make sure it is configured correctly for your connection, I would not trust them to configure it.

I thought of another thing you can do; from previous setting your (windows computer) may still be trying to connect to your old Siemens router. To remove this you carry out ipconfig /flushdns then reboot the computer.

http://www.vcn.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=360

Standard User ggremlin
(member) Sun 10-Apr-11 11:50:44
Print Post

Its strange how the router behaves as the dsl and internet lights both come on when i turn the router on but they both go off within 10 seconds

that's the 'power on self test' showing the lights themselves work
Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-11 11:54:50
Print Post

Hi nellynell, 48 hours has nothing to do with it, unless they are putting you on another service, which I doubt very much. crazy

You must reconfigure the Netgear DGN1000 router to make sure it is configured correctly for your connection, I would not trust them to configure it.

I thought of another thing you can do; from previous setting your (windows computer) may still be trying to connect to your old Siemens router. To remove this you carry out ipconfig /flushdns then reboot the computer.

http://www.vcn.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=360

I will give that a try see where it gets me thanks. Orange have got back to me saying they have finished their tests and if i can contact them when at my computer so they can do a few diagnostics so il be doing that this evening aswell
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to