User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LordSimpson
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 22:11:50
Print Post

Orange Speed Issue

[link to this post]

Hi I recently joined orange [1~2months ago] when I signed up I was told I would be on there up to 20mb LLU package. I've been getting around 2.5mb consistently since a few weeks after connection. However the other day I received a courtesy call from orange checking everything was ok, I mentioned my speed and was told that according to a line test they carried out when I joined I should be getting at the very least 5-6mb, from there I was passed to what I assume was oranges tech support who told me that my exchange had work being done that week and was the reason for my speed being low, mentioning that it had been this way for the previous 2 months and having the router on for the whole of the testing period when I joined didn't seam to matter to them so I eventually just gave up. I was just wondering if I should be getting the faster speeds or they have made a mistake.

I get the following from the BT speed tester [FTTC test]
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1001 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2360 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 784 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 7.96:20.45:71.67 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

my router Has the following stats at the moment [its a netgear DGN1000]
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2360 kbps 784 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.3 db 32.5 db
Noise Margin 11.6 db 7.4 db

im on the Norwich City Exchange [EANCC] which says it supports orange LLU and 21CN WBC also I'm about 2km away so does this all add up to 2.5ish mb or is something wrong?
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 01-Jun-11 23:18:45
Print Post

Re: Orange Speed Issue

[re: LordSimpson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LordSimpson:
my router Has the following stats at the moment [its a netgear DGN1000]
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2360 kbps 784 kbps
Line Attenuation 57.3 db 32.5 db
Noise Margin 11.6 db 7.4 db

im on the Norwich City Exchange [EANCC] which says it supports orange LLU and 21CN WBC also I'm about 2km away so does this all add up to 2.5ish mb or is something wrong?
You might like to put your downstream line attenuation into Kitz' Max Speed Calculator and see what approximate values it produces.

Then try Andrew's Line Capability Estimator and see what it predicts.

Finally, you could try Kitz's Exchange and Line Checker to see what information that produces.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jun-11 23:39:46
Print Post

Re: Orange Speed Issue

[re: LordSimpson] [link to this post]

You are actually running on BT WBC platform, not LLU, which Orange is in process of converting their exchanges to.

Your Sync speed is reasonable for the 12 dB NM that they are holding you at (as they are doing me). I don't know if this is their default NM but it is higher than they used on LLU, 10 dB, and than other ISPs who use 6 dB.

They only way you'll get a higher speed, about 4 Meg, is if they reduce your NM to 6 dB. I'm in process of writing them to bring my NM down, as their phone support is useless.

BTW: you are not on FTTC but it's same BT speedtest.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to