User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markdixon
(regular) Sat 25-Jun-11 01:33:57
Print Post

What have Orange done?

[link to this post]

Up until tonight I have always had top speed on my ADSL2 broadband connection, sync'd above 19k kbits a sec and low line noise. Now, my sync is just under 7mb and I can download at 5 and a bit mbits a sec.
I am on an Orange LLU service and I remember getting an email a few weeks ago saying that Orange were upgrading some of the hardware in our exchange (SLARM).
Now looking on here it seems Orange have put me back on some ADSL Max rubbish that can only do 8meg because my exchange isnt 21cn enabled.... is that right?
Will be really peed off if they have.

Thanks

Orange LLU Home Max
DG834N with DGTeam firmware
Quad core Q6600 - Ubuntu - 4gb RAM - 1.8tb HD space
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-11 02:45:13
Print Post

Re: What have Orange done?

[re: markdixon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by markdixon:
I am on an Orange LLU service
You were on LLU, but they have moved you to either 21CN WBC ADSL2+ or 20CN IPStream ADSL Max, depending on the capability of your exchange.

In your case the latter, at least until Sept.

Your new Sync seems low. You should be getting the full 8 Meg, considering you have a short line based on the 19 Meg you got before.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 25-Jun-11 02:50:34)

Standard User vf12vf
(learned) Sat 25-Jun-11 11:07:11
Print Post

Hmm, Been reading about this for some time, i too am on Orange LLU equipment and it says on same knows that my exchange was due to upgraded to 21cn in march...it hasnt been done as far as i am aware. i enjoy a stable 19mb connection but fear the day when they change me over to 21cn.

a few months ago i recieved a call from Orange trying to sell me thier phone package, it was on that call the guy guarenteed me a constant 19mb connection without any drops......we will see if that is the case!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-11 11:59:02
Print Post

[re: vf12vf] [link to this post]

Yeah and they promised me on the phone that I would always be on LLU. Not!

Check if your IP addy starts with 91. = LLU or 2. = WBC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User hairybarsteward
(newbie) Sat 25-Jun-11 14:24:53
Print Post

Orange have done the same to me, promised me I would always be on LLU but I have been moved to IP Stream, used to get 3800kbps now lucky if I get 2600kbps, contention terrible at peak times can go to 600kbps. The Director of Operations, Harry Wilson, seems to think that this is an improvement. I have emailed Orange CEO Tom Alexander (tom.alexander@orange.co.uk) to ask both him and Harry Wilson to explain how this is an improvement, the only response that I received has been from Ian Britton of the executive office and his reply was as much use as a fart in a spacesuit. I have been advised to make a complaint to CISAS and to write to OFCOM asking if Orange can treat customers like this. A simple query of the RIPE database (www.db.ripe.net) will tell you if you are still on LLU or, if like me, you have been dumped on IPStream. My exchange has been 21CN enabled since March yet Orange will not answer when (or indeed if) I will be moved from IPStream to 21CN, however from reading the posts on here it seems as if it wont make much of a difference. All Orange seem to say is have your MAC code in the vain hope that I will go away and stop bothering them. No chance of that for now as I aim to cause them as much grief as possible for the way I have been treated.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Standard User markdixon
(regular) Sat 25-Jun-11 17:13:43
Print Post

[re: hairybarsteward] [link to this post]

Just checked my IP address and it starts 95.150.x.x so not sure whats going on there.
Also got the ADSL status from my router:
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Fast
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 11.3 29.0
Attn(dB): 12.0 7.5
Pwr(dBm): 13.8 11.6
Max(Kbps): 9824 1292
Rate (Kbps): 8128 448

So this is something that Orange have done then and nothing I can do will change it?

Orange LLU Home Max
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 00:37:20
Print Post

Yep it is something that Orange has done and all they will do is offer to give you a MAC code, no apology for knowing months in advance that you were going to get screwed over either way, I have not read a post from anyone who says that their speeds are as good as or better (both upload and download) for either IPStream or 21CN as compared to Orange LLU. Your IP address puts you on IPStream (95.148.0.0 to 95.151.255.255 are all listed as OUK Broadband IPStream), which is all old [censored] BT equipment so it is hardly any wonder that your speeds have dropped so badly. Visit the BT speedtester to find out how much your line has been limited by compared to what you were getting before (if you have that information) and see what a joke Orange has become.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Standard User musicmate
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 12:06:18
Print Post

Hi Mark it looks like you are on the same exchange as me & I have had the exact same thing happen to me its a disgrace in my opinion, I got the call to ask if i was happy & would i like to take the phone deal 2 months ago which i did now im in IPstream hell with only about half the upload speed now & a loss of almost 3meg in download to what i was getting on the LLU service how Orange can call this an improved service is beyond me looks like i am stuck with it as well for the next 18 months or so to say I'm peed off is an understatement.

Steve

Orange Broadband & Anytime Calls.
Sync 8128 kbps Downstream, 448 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 13:43:45
Print Post

[re: musicmate] [link to this post]

You are not stuck with the service, if you want to leave tell Orange why and ask for your MAC code, explain to them that you should not be expected to have to pay the same amount for a limited service that Orange were well aware of back when the deal was signed with BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4215-orange-hand-... , if you want to you can complain to CISAS and perhaps OFCOM or better yet email the CEO of Orange Tom Alexander on tom.alexander@orange.co.uk and ask him to explain why you have been treated in this way. You will probably find that Orange are not very sympathetic as all they want is for us to shut up and hand over the cash.

I too use the DGN1000. I am on my second one as the first one was useless, the second one is only slightly better, there is a firmware update out there but the router does not find it, you have to find it by going to the netgear website, this marginally improved things but now Orange does not want to know, despite a senior member of staff called Rob promising me a new router to partly compensate me for my problems (this was after they tried to palm me off with an Orange Livebox that only has 1 Ethernet port that works properly and had had at least 5 previous owners (possibly 6), this was evident from the number of stickers on the back which were changing the MAC code and password of the router.

I wish you all the best and if you want any more help on this matter please feel free to contact me. I feel that Orange should be publicly apologising to customers, not hailing a downgrade to our service as an improvement.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Standard User markdixon
(regular) Mon 27-Jun-11 17:32:29
Print Post

[re: hairybarsteward] [link to this post]

Not to sound defeatist but I can't see the point in emailing the CEO to have his PA send back an email saying they don't give a toss, if they even bother replying at all. Reporting to one of the governing bodies (OFCOM etc) seems more trouble than its actually worth because you'd need to keep chasing and following up for them to get anywhere. Orange aren't a small company. They will make sure everything they did was within the confines of the contract and we probably agreed on signing up with Orange that they could make changes to the service and they don't even have to give us a reacharound.
Out of the three main issues that have come about since the change;
1 the price remaining the same for a product worth less than half what it was before
2 The speed being less than half that is was before
3 How does this affect the monthly download limits?

It's point three that seems to have been missed previously. Does anyone know how this affects limits? I've been using the LLU ADSL2 for months and never had any issues with download allowances. Something tells me now that they might start monitoring...

Orange LLU Home Max
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to