User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spacemanc
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 15:02:18
Print Post

Orange 21CN FUP

[link to this post]

Im due to become an Orange BB customer this week. After posting and reading various comments on this forum and others, I started to get pretty concerned about the FUP and traffic shaping. I had asked questions when I signed up, but the questions were slightly vague - so I thought I'd call up technical support and try and get clearer answers. Heres what the guy told me:

There is no longer a FUP policy. (To be fair the sales staff told me this at sign up)
There is traffic shaping of P2P software between 4pm and 8pm.
This is a new policy.

Now I'm fully aware that Orange staff are known for fobbing people off, but he gave pretty direct answers, and made no secret of the traffic shaping. Also the "peak hours" he quoted are different from what I've read anywhere else, which gave me the impression he was quoting some kind of policy. tbh I told him directly that I didn't believe him, and that if Orange were offering this, then why were they not promoting it, and also why is all their sales literature still full of the FUP small print. He answered that this policy had just been brought in, and that all the sales staff probably didn't know the details yet?

What do you guys make of this? Heard it all before?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-11 16:39:39
Print Post

Re: Orange 21CN FUP

[re: Spacemanc] [link to this post]

Orange is one of those lax ISPs that doesn't spell out its FUP formally. Its documented FUP here: http://www.orange.co.uk/terms/7094.htm?linkfrom=term... (Sept 2010) can mean whatever and whenever they want it to mean depending on what side of the bed they got out of that day. Orange will act as both Judge and Jury in determining whether your usage is excessive.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 08:50:29
Print Post

Re: Orange 21CN FUP

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yeah, I noted Orange are only specific about phone calls usage…

Home Phone Fair Use Policy
These terms are designed to make sure the quality of your Home Phone Service is maintained.
The Orange Home Phone Service consists of a line rental service and/or a call service. The Orange Call Service which enables you to make telephone calls carried over the Orange Network is subject at all times to a fair use policy on the outgoing inclusive Evening (7pm to 7am Monday to Friday) & Weekend (midnight Friday to midnight Sunday) calls and Anytime calls of 1,000 (one thousand) minutes for each billing period. These call types have a maximum call duration of two hours per call, after then, these calls will be charged at standard rates.
Any use of the Home Phone Services for calls above the limitations stated above will contravene this Fair Use Policy and constitute an abuse of such Service which may result in our monitoring usage then withdrawing the relevant Service from your account, moving you to a more appropriate service plan or charging you for excessive usage.
(Last updated 17 September 2010)

Orange WBC 21CN 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 875 kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to