User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markdixon
(regular) Mon 11-Jul-11 08:33:38
Print Post

No chance of ADSL2 now?

[link to this post]

Being a victim of the Orange screw up, I rang last night to get a MAC code and begin my move to Sky. The guy on the phone actually tried to get me to stay and when told I was moving to Sky said that there were no LLU options in my exchange any more as the change was BT driven and not Orange's choice.

Is that true? Even when checking SamKnows and looking on the Sky web site they both show as Sky Unlimited being available will I only get "upto" 8meg? Does this mean I will have a ridiculous 2gig cap or some rubbish?

And what the hell is 21CN WBC anyway? My Exchange is scheduled for 1st October this year. Does this mean I will have to ride it out until then? Will I be able to go with Sky and they will implement 21CN WBC and give me the choice when it becomes available?

I'm peed off enough after having my service slashed by more than half and still paying the same for the privilege.

Orange LLU Home Max
DG834N with DGTeam firmware
Quad core Q6600 - Ubuntu - 4gb RAM - 1.8tb HD space
Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Mon 11-Jul-11 09:47:42
Print Post

Re: No chance of ADSL2 now?

[re: markdixon] [link to this post]

Hes right, the only mainstream LLU in your exchange is Talk Talk. With Sky, you would be on "Sky connect" which runs on the BT 20CN network just like Orange have moved you to. Personally I would stick it out with Orange, because when your exchange is upgraded to BT 21CN, you will get at least the same speed as you used to get.
Its a major fail that Orange have moved some people down like this, especially as their equipment is there. Everyone complaining about this, seems to say their exchange is getting upgraded soon anyway, so Orange only had to wait a few months to avoid seriously [censored] off a large amount of customers.
The problem is that all the good value mainstream suppliers are pretty much as bad as each other when it comes to customer service.
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Mon 11-Jul-11 10:55:43
Print Post

If your exchange is Armthorpe then look again at Sam Knows. It says Sky LLU enabled which means ADSL2+ up to 20Meg broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User markdixon
(regular) Mon 11-Jul-11 11:01:40
Print Post

[re: mr_spokey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_spokey:
If your exchange is Armthorpe then look again at Sam Knows. It says Sky LLU enabled which means ADSL2+ up to 20Meg broadband.

Thats what I thought, but the Orange person I spoke to said that all ISPs were back to IPStream or whatever.
I thought I could just swap ISP but it seems if I swap now I will get the same connection under a different name, and perhaps a massive cap on my monthly download.
ARGGGGHHHH!

Orange LLU Home Max
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jul-11 14:30:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by markdixon:
And what the hell is 21CN WBC anyway? My Exchange is scheduled for 1st October this year. Does this mean I will have to ride it out until then? Will I be able to go with Sky and they will implement 21CN WBC and give me the choice when it becomes available?

I'm peed off enough after having my service slashed by more than half and still paying the same for the privilege.
Hi, your exchange maybe enabled ahead of schedule with BT 21CN WBC ADSL2+ 24 Meg speed, as my exchange has been. wink

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Mon 11-Jul-11 14:59:42
Print Post

Hey not to far away, Bessacarr myself.

I have friends on that exchange with sky's 20meg service. Orange are lying to you buddy. You will get similar speeds to what you got on orange before they switched you to 8 meg, possibly even better smile

Sky have no intention of going to IPStream, they paid a lot of money for their LLU backbone and I would bet my life they will not be going back to 8meg.

We have Sky here and we're very happy.

EDIT: There are no caps on LLU which you will be getting. It's truly unlimited with no throttling.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 11-Jul-11 15:01:08)

Standard User musicmate
(newbie) Mon 11-Jul-11 17:44:24
Print Post

I think they are obviously telling you porkies Mark in an attempt to keep you as a customer, myself I have decided to try to stick it out with Orange until CN21 is enabled on our exchange, but i can tell you it had better hurry up as my patience is running thin, I know when i enquired about Sky broadband a few months back they said i could only have the upto 8meg service, but when i checked a couple of weeks ago it reported upto 20meg now & where SamKnows reported no Sky/easynet LLU it now shows it as enabled. I hope you get sorted anyway let us know how you get on please.

Orange Broadband & Anytime Calls.
Sync 8128 kbps Downstream, 448 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jul-11 20:16:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by markdixon:
said that there were no LLU options in my exchange any more as the change was BT driven and not Orange's choice.
Rubbish! Do you really believe that just cuz Orange ceases LLU and hands over to BT that all other ISP's LLU just evaporate?

That would mean that every big town in UK would have no LLU ISPs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User markdixon
(regular) Mon 11-Jul-11 23:56:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I did think the guy from Orange was talking out of his ass, but I kind of believed him thinking it was some plan for the 21CN update due later this year... clear out all the competitions LLU gear and then were back to BT only...
Well my MAC should be here in a few days (by Wednesday) and I will be ordering with Sky.. fingers crossed.

Orange LLU Home Max
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Tue 12-Jul-11 09:04:22
Print Post

I did think the guy from Orange was talking out of his ass, but I kind of believed him thinking it was some plan for the 21CN update due later this year... clear out all the competitions LLU gear and then were back to BT only...
Well my MAC should be here in a few days (by Wednesday) and I will be ordering with Sky.. fingers crossed.

I can see your logic here...

ISPs paid a lot of money to install LLU in exchanges around the country. This means having physical hardware installed at the exchange of their own and having their own backhaul.

Sky purchased a network called easynet which is far superior to BTs overcrowded network.

This also means sky are not paying ridiculously overpriced prices to BT for the data their customers use.

This is why LLU providers can offer far better packages in terms of being unlimited than isps that go via BT.

Obviously it's more complicated but this is a simple quickie smile All in all they'd not want to lose their expensive investment unless they are doing pretty badly e.g. losing lots of customers and feel their network is not being utilised enough for the investment to be worthwhile.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 12-Jul-11 09:05:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to