User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lisaj
(experienced) Wed 13-Jul-11 17:35:36
Print Post

Question to Orange users?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Just had Orange call me, I have a pay monthly phone with them, and they have tried to get us to put our broadband through them, they are now saying as from 1st July, there broadband is totally unlimited, as the fair use has been removed?

Anyone any comments on if they have joined them since 1st July, and is the service any better now it's run via BT, there price is a give away and would save us about £30 a month.

Lisa J

AAISP Fantastic full speed all of the time/blue]

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-11 18:24:25
Print Post

Re: Question to Orange users?

[re: lisaj] [link to this post]

For views on FUP: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4020528-o...
In reply to a post by lisaj:
is the service any better now it's run via BT
No, my speed worsened by over 2 Meg = -16%.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jul-11 09:54:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by lisaj:
Hi,

Just had Orange call me, I have a pay monthly phone with them, and they have tried to get us to put our broadband through them, they are now saying as from 1st July, there broadband is totally unlimited, as the fair use has been removed?

Anyone any comments on if they have joined them since 1st July, and is the service any better now it's run via BT, there price is a give away and would save us about £30 a month.

Lisa J
Hi, that is a load of sales bull, no ISP could have a broadband totally unlimited use policy, but they are lenient with their fair use regulations.

It has always been considered broadband unlimited use up to 40 Gig a month. But I cannot find this written anywhere in their fair use policy, only reference to landline telephone use. Where it states for FREE evening and weekend and anytime calls, you are allowed 1000 calls per month.

I cannot find the post now! One guy on Orange LLU did post that he uses 100 Gig a month and said that one month he used 300 Gig and had no action from Orange, whether this is true or not, that may have been another load of bull.

With Orange I have 20 Meg unlimited broadband and landline telephone with FREE evening and weekend calls, plus line rental payable to Orange. I find the services excellent.

I have been moved from Orange LLU to Orange WBC and get about the same speeds, the ping has decreased. smile

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Thu 14-Jul-11 17:10:24
Print Post

I've just moved over from Sky and this was my experience :

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/f/4010665...

Sign up through quidco.com and get an extra £150 cashback! I'm 2 weeks in and getting an excellent service (fast than sky LLU in every way) I've also been told that theres no throttling or limits, and 40gb of torrents and filehosts in 2 weeks later, and that has been my experience so far. Maybe I'll get a letter about it soon! laugh

I'd go for it and take the money!
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Fri 15-Jul-11 16:43:07
Print Post

[re: Spacemanc] [link to this post]

From my experience with Orange they lack sophisticated monitoring tools (a question of money which bedevils Orange) so when they're good they can be very good and when they're bad they can be very bad. The BT white label service they now offer should even things out. So I'd guess you stand a reasonable chance, but if they catch you out on what they think is abusing their service they can really clobber you, with a couple of months of 0.5Meg speeds, but perhaps might be persuaded to let you leave without penalty - I'd play the "I was given a guarantee the service was absolutely unlimited and I made clear at the time I wouldn't sign up otherwise" card, if the worst comes to the worst.
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Thu 21-Jul-11 07:13:28
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Bit of an update on this, media are reporting Orange say they've just scrapped any data download limits on home broadband, though it looks like they might still reserve the right to restrict speeds of P2P downloads in the event of network congestion during peak hours of 6pm-midnight. First bit of news after their Chief Executive announced his resignation!

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 21-Jul-11 09:33:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:57:57
Print Post

Which media?

Nothing obvious on Newsnow

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Thu 21-Jul-11 13:57:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Bit of an update on this, media are reporting Orange say they've just scrapped any data download limits on home broadband, though it looks like they might still reserve the right to restrict speeds of P2P downloads in the event of network congestion during peak hours of 6pm-midnight. First bit of news after their Chief Executive announced his resignation!

Have you got a link for that? I was repeatedly told the same by Orange staff during my recent sign up, and I questioned it as the website still shows a vague FUP whilst offering true unlimited would be a great feature for their sales to shout about. Since I've been with them I've downloaded well over 50gb in under a month, and zero sign of throttling at any time.

I've no proof for this, but I suspect that 99% of BB users never exceed 50gb. Imo they should just have a FUP which is actually fair - say a loose 150gb pm limit or something. Let the 1tb pm downloaders swamp the other providers - though these kind of users are so rare, its probably easier just to say totally unlimited without any small print.
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Thu 21-Jul-11 21:12:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I first saw this on ISP Review (news item) but it's confirmed by Orange's own network management page in broadband help - I don't think the link works when I tried to paste it but it's http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/b...
Standard User Ricinus
(learned) Thu 21-Jul-11 23:28:20
Print Post

That page does say no FUP but my package details say
"Broadband Starter (off-net) - £**** a month, up to 8 Meg speed, wireless router, unlimited usage allowance (fair use policy applies)." and all the options I could switch to include the same "unlimited usage allowance (fair use policy applies)."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to