User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User teapothead
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 23:28:36
Print Post

Slow sync speeds, disconnects etc.

[link to this post]

Hi,

Over the last week, my stats have dropped horribly. A week ago, I could download at 700-800 kB/s. Now I barely get 100kB/s

my stats:
ADSL
Values

Description
Thomson Livebox 2 Mini uk v7.1-h323

Manufacturer
Thomson

SerialNumber
0805GH1N78677CP

HardwareVersion
T-E.1.0

SoftwareVersion

DestinationAddress
PVC: 0/38

ModulationType
ADSL_2plus

ATMEncapsulation
VCMUX

ModemFirmwareVersion
bcm96358_ADSL_PHY_A2pBT009c1.d17d

Status
Up

LinkStatus
Up

LinkType
PPPoA

DataPath
Fast

UpstreamAttenuation

DownstreamAttenuation

UpstreamNoiseMargin

DownstreamNoiseMargin

UpstreamMaxRate

DownstreamMaxRate

UpstreamCurrRate

DownstreamCurrRate

UpstreamPower

DownstreamPower

UpTime

Stats.Total.
Values

LinkRetrain

FECErrors

ATUCFECErrors

HECErrors

ATUCHECErrors

CRCErrors

ATUCCRCErrors

I've also been having intermittent connection problems over the last month. Occasionally, the "can't detect broadband" light comes on.

What do I do?
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-11 23:53:58
Print Post

Re: Slow sync speeds, disconnects etc.

[re: teapothead] [link to this post]

Plug your router into the test socket and report back.
Standard User teapothead
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 00:19:07
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

The router was plugged into the test socket for these stats, and always is plugged into the test socket (nothing else on the line)

should have mentioned that in the OP

Edited by teapothead (Tue 26-Jul-11 00:24:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Tue 26-Jul-11 01:58:14
Print Post

The router was plugged into the test socket for these stats, and always is plugged into the test socket
Assuming you do mean the test socket that is behind the lower front plate of the NTE5/A, then fine.
I've also been having intermittent connection problems over the last month. Occasionally, the "can't detect broadband" light comes on.

What do I do?
Disconnect the modem/router and plug in a wrired phone in its place. Make a (free) call to 17070 and take option 2 from the menu. Listen carefully. The line should be absolutely quiet. No clicks, no buzzing, no hum, no cross-talk, etc. The only thing you should be able to say is that the line is "electrically alive". If you do hear something other than pure silence, call your telephony service provider and report a voice line fault. Do not, under any circumstances, mention broadband. Once the voice line defect(s) is (are) corrected, check the broadband statistics and, if necessary, then talk to your broadband service provider.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User teapothead
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 12:19:29
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

What do I do?
Disconnect the modem/router and plug in a wrired phone in its place. Make a (free) call to 17070 and take option 2 from the menu. Listen carefully. The line should be absolutely quiet. No clicks, no buzzing, no hum, no cross-talk, etc. The only thing you should be able to say is that the line is "electrically alive". If you do hear something other than pure silence, call your telephony service provider and report a voice line fault. Do not, under any circumstances, mention broadband. Once the voice line defect(s) is (are) corrected, check the broadband statistics and, if necessary, then talk to your broadband service provider.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't get a dial tone when I plug in a wired phone to the test socket I had assumed this was due to the way that orange second line worked. To be clear, I never get a dial tone when I plug in a phone, even when broadband is working perfectly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 12:35:39
Print Post

if that is how Orange Second Line works then first I've heard of it.

Generally even the packages that are no incoming/outgoing calls do work and give dial tone, and support emergency calls

A possibility is that the only one of the two wires needed for the phone is actually working, and while ADSL will work over this, it will slower and more prone to disconnects. So a call to Orange to confirm whether this second line should get dial tone is needed, and if it should then this needs reporting as a voice fault.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User teapothead
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 12:39:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
if that is how Orange Second Line works then first I've heard of it.

Generally even the packages that are no incoming/outgoing calls do work and give dial tone, and support emergency calls

A possibility is that the only one of the two wires needed for the phone is actually working, and while ADSL will work over this, it will slower and more prone to disconnects. So a call to Orange to confirm whether this second line should get dial tone is needed, and if it should then this needs reporting as a voice fault.

Thanks for the reply.

The other problem is that we don't know what our landline phone number is, because it's been years since anyone in the flat has used the line for anything but broadband.

Assuming we can get the dial tone working, is there a way to find out our phone number using the regular line?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 12:45:55
Print Post

Is the number not mentioned on your broadband billing, or this Orange Second Line bill?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-11 14:22:12
Print Post

Who do you pay your line rental to?

The Orange 2nd line does not actually use the voice line; it is VOIP.
In reply to a post by teapothead:
Assuming we can get the dial tone working, is there a way to find out our phone number using the regular line?
Yes, dial 1470 17070 and it will tell you "This circuit is defined as ...".

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User teapothead
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 18:40:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Who do you pay your line rental to?

We pay it to Orange, hence my confusion. I didn't realise we were supposed to get Second Line and POTS, I thought that Second Line was a replacement for POTS and that it was normal for us to not have a dial tone.

Yes, dial 1470 17070 and it will tell you "This circuit is defined as ...".

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to