User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shrimper1
(learned) Mon 01-Aug-11 12:03:51
Print Post

Local exchange the problem?

[link to this post]

My Orange connection is via a BT line, and is approx. 0.5 miles from my local exchange (as the crow flys). I have had a history of poor broadband line speeds and more recently "drop-outs". Although Orange helpline have talked me thru' resetting my router, drop-outs are still recurring; however the connection renews itself without my intervention.
Now, I hear from my friend who also lives about the same distance from the same BT exchange (the other side of town), that his SKY broadband connection is down, and won't be re-connected for another couple of days.
Is there a website that provides current info about UK BT exchanges' maintenance/upgrading schedules?

Edited by shrimper1 (Mon 01-Aug-11 12:05:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Aug-11 12:08:25
Print Post

Re: Local exchange the problem?

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Providers like aa.nu and Plusnet website generally carry status updates for MSO (Major Service Outages)

A friends line being down, and you suffering regular drop-outs sound unrelated though. 0.5miles as crow flies, but how far by road? What are exact attenuation, connection speed, noise margin figures?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User awoodland
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-11 13:14:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

AA also have a PEW page, which shows much more details about BT planned work than the status pages.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shrimper1
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-11 00:37:42
Print Post

[re: awoodland] [link to this post]

Thanks for the PEW page ............ another string to my bow wink
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:46:21
Print Post

Hi, is your exchange one of these capacity issue sites. frown

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/downloads/Communit...

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Thu 04-Aug-11 23:35:25
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Don't think so, but XRAY (being an ex-BT engineer) will love my latest negative incident: loss of phone line since yesterday, suspected to be due to overhead cable from pole across the main road to my house. However, the real irony is, as you can see: my broadband still works, although current speed is 2 meg frown
We've had extremely hot and sunny weather here during the last week or so, and my wife thinks it's damaged the cable (which was pretty old anyway). Latest news is: phone line should be worked on by BT this coming Monday. Who knows, this may also improve my broadband upload & download speeds as well smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Aug-11 00:56:47
Print Post

What makes you think I was a BT engineer? I was never that type of engineer; I have never done any cabling in my life wink

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to