User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Thu 01-Sep-11 13:33:45
Print Post

An all time low! - Upload is higher than Download??

[link to this post]

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 256 Kbps 540 Kbps

Line Attenuation 23.0 dB 12.1 dB
Noise Margin 37.6 dB 20.4 dB

Speed Down 131.39 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 450.84 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps

BT's Broad Band latest offer, with free hub, is looking very tempting ?
Standard User hairybarsteward
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-11 14:41:10
Print Post

Re: An all time low! - Upload is higher than Download??

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Hi shrimper1,
Your Noise Margin is very high which would explain the low speeds, contact Orange as I suggested and include these readings. Something very similar happened to me and through the executive office Orange arranged for BT engineers to visit my house, the street cabinet and the exchange, this resulted in a manual reset of my line which reduced my Noise Margin from 17dB to 5dB and as a result my speeds have doubled.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Sep-11 16:00:45
Print Post

Since noise margin is well above any targets that DLM systems set, looks like modem disconnected due to noise (e.g. storm) and has stayed at the slow speed (normal behaviour) an off then on to resync it may well improve sync speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Sun 04-Sep-11 17:25:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Router Stats:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6656 Kbps 828 Kbps
Line Attenuation 22.4 dB 11.8 dB
Noise Margin 19.1 dB 12.9 dB

Speeds:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Not moaning, speed is gradually improving this afternoon, but stats still show noise ..... yes?
Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Mon 05-Sep-11 13:10:58
Print Post

My latest router stats, and BT speed test are below - the latter indicates a dip in download speed from last reading (01-13a.m.) of 4451 Kbps, but hopefully the trend will still be up. Should I settle for a 5 Meg download speed when our ISP (Orange) contract says up to 20 Meg Home service, or can/will my local Exchange continue to increase my d/load speed profile? I am only 475 metres away as the crow flys! Thanks in advance for any comments.

ADSL Link --------------- Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed--------- 5048 Kbps 492 Kbps
Line Attenuation--------------- 2.9 dB 12.1 dB
Noise Margin--------- -------- 24.1 dB 21.2 dB

Download speed achieved during the test was - 3660 Kbps IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Upload Speed = 373 KbpsUpstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 492 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5048 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 492 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-11 14:52:38
Print Post

How come your Down Attn. has dropped from 23 to 3 dB? Have you moved right into the exchange, or have you mislaid something in the paste (most likely)?

Whatever the crow thinks, your line is about 1.6 Km and is capable of 19 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User lumsbc
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-11 19:17:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Good evening, everybody! I am new to the forum and i joined because of a very similar problem at the very same time. Since 1 Sept, i saw the speeds drop as well as the connection. I have the feeling that it has all to do with change Orange made three months ago from LLU to 21CN or WBC in my area [Lancaster, UK]. Ever since the speed (which used to be a stable 7Mb - such as it was when i signed up with them over 15 months ago) is all over the place and has been dropping to 2Mb (which is what the IP Profile now shows consistently). But for some periods it was 10-12Mb (which was excellent).

the line stats from this livebox router i have - and it speaks in a very funny language. Its db readings are in the hundreds; for example, just now i get the following: UpstreamNoiseMargin 72 and DownstreamNoiseMargin 238. On another forum, someone suggested this ought to be read with a decimal point to tens - i.e. 7.2db and 23.8 db. UpstreamAttenuation 185 - should i read 18.5db? DownstreamAttenuation 330 - that might mean 33db. I am 1.4km away from the exchange and it seems i should be getting 11.5Mb or so - perhaps a little less.

A test i ran just now on bt speedtester reads:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1732 Kbps; Upload speed achieved during the test was - 603 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :2207 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 728 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1946 Kbps

They cannot seem to be able to sort it out whilst knowing full well (i feel) what the problems are really... They will now send an engineer out tomorrow (6 Sept) to check at the exchange and perhaps at my place too - but it seems to be a systemic issue rather than one to do with my property (where nothing at all has changed for years - one user, one line, one socket, etc.).

Since i know very little about the technical aspects, i wonder what i should do? Any suggestions much appreciated.

thank you.

Bogdan
Standard User vf12vf
(learned) Mon 05-Sep-11 20:37:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
How come your Down Attn. has dropped from 23 to 3 dB? Have you moved right into the exchange, or have you mislaid something in the paste (most likely)?

Whatever the crow thinks, your line is about 1.6 Km and is capable of 19 Meg.

I think Orange have dropped everyones down atn to around the 3db mark, thats what mine is now and gives me a stable 18mb or so connection..right now the noise margin is 1.6db with now tweaking.....
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-11 22:19:35
Print Post

[re: vf12vf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vf12vf:
I think Orange have dropped everyone's down atn to around the 3db mark
How? By shortening their lines or by replacing the copper by fibre? It's physically impossible! My attenuation certainly hasn't changed from its permanent 26 dB.

Surely you mean Target NM? That's all they can play with.

EDIT: I've seen your stats elsewhere. You are getting 18 Meg on a 24.5 dB attn., which is consistent.

You are talking thro' your hat!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 05-Sep-11 22:25:11)

Standard User hairybarsteward
(newbie) Tue 06-Sep-11 13:25:40
Print Post

Hi Shrimper1,
Yep still a lot of noise, ask Orange to have BT look into this as I am around 4km from my exchange and I get the following

Connection Speed 5280 (Down) 448 (Up)
Line attenuation 52.7dB 28dB
Noise Margin 5.9dB 21dB

I only got these by insisting that Orange get in contact with BT. This eventually happened and my line that "Would only ever support up to 2Meg" now runs at 4.2 peak speed.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to