User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 17:11:32
Print Post

Reinstalled NetgearRtr as Tommo Livebox seized up, and Wow!!

[link to this post]

Download speed up by 3Mb versus any previous reading during last 2 years. Upload up by 0.1 Mb versus any previous reading during last 2 years. Download IP Profile up by 3Mb.

Download speed achieved during the test was 15495 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is 16953 Kbps.

Upload was 926 Kbps, Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is 1076 Kbps

Router Stats:-
System Up Time 01:15:24
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 88189 157176 0 3257 44518 01:14:08
LAN 10M/100M 158270 89501 0 44575 3363 01:15:05
WLAN 11M/54M/150M 674 0 0 23 0 01:15:09

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 19216 Kbps 1110 Kbps
Line Attenuation 21.9 dB 11.1 dB
Noise Margin 2.3 dB 6.0 dB
Standard User jinger
(regular) Tue 08-Nov-11 01:36:00
Print Post

Re: Reinstalled NetgearRtr as Tommo Livebox seized up, and W

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Hi Shrimper1

Have your speed issues settled down yet since you started using the Netgear, or are you still experiencing slow speeds at times?

After 2 engineer visits last week, I'm still having problems from after 2pm onwards where my speed drops to below 4meg D/L. Think I'm going to have to get the engineer out again this week as after having my BT socket changed and being moved to a different port at my local green cabinet, my speed still drops. Mind you, I can now hit over 16meg D/L speeds when it's behaving itself which is the fastest I've ever been! My last engineer did tell me if my problems persisted, a lift and shift at the exchange may not sort me out and I am to ask Orange for a Tie Pair Modification request to be put in to BT.

BTW, I'm envious of your noise margin figures! I'm lucky if I ever get below 6db downstream frown

In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
Born free.... Taxed to death!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-11 02:30:45
Print Post

[re: jinger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jinger:
I'm still having problems from after 2pm onwards where my speed drops to below 4meg D/L.
Which speed? Sync or throughput? If throughput, an engineer visit will not make a blind bit of difference. Issue is congestion at exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jinger
(regular) Tue 08-Nov-11 15:36:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

My sync speeds are fine. I'm getting poor service throughput performance. This doesn't always mean that someone's suffering from congestion, it's just something that is looked at first by the ISP and BT. If my speed drops happened from 5pm onwards, I would have been told by Orange and BT it was congestion but it's not the case as mine's happening before then.

A TPM is now being done on my line tomorrow morning. I've actually just come off the phone from a BT engineer who says there is definitely a fault on my line and it has possibly been happening for a while but has now got bad enough for it to rear its ugly head by dropping my speed like it does. The fault also causes my broadband to drop out completely every time I use my landline now. Here's hoping the TPM sorts it out once and for all!

Standard User shrimper1
(member) Tue 08-Nov-11 17:09:26
Print Post

In a word "no". Check out this link to my Orange speed graph.
http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=0a3a418209fe...
Still suffering from peak usage. My third BT Engineer in a week has just left my home. He does not think a lift & shift will improve things, as he reckons my problem maybe the wire from the green cabinet about 500 yards up the main road. They all have a different theory on my erratic speeds, when it's bleeding obvious it's peak usage time related.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-11 17:17:25
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

If it was the wires between you and exchange with the low 3dB target margin you have I would expect you to be seeing resyncs etc

WBC is known for throughput issues sometimes from the exchange to the internet.

The BT engineers will be considering local wiring as that is what they are trained to look at.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-11 21:12:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The BT engineers will be considering local wiring as that is what they are trained to look at.
That's right. The engs who come to house know nothing about setting BB line parameters at exchange nor about the physical connections within exchange, other than being able to read off its status.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User jinger
(regular) Wed 09-Nov-11 17:21:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
WBC is known for throughput issues sometimes from the exchange to the internet.

So who are responsible for these throughput issues from the exchange to the internet? Is it BT or the ISP?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Nov-11 17:39:17
Print Post

BT Wholesale.

As I keep telling you Orange has no technical involvement in any of the connection, other than reporting issues to them so they can pass it on to BT.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Nov-11 17:43:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

But just because a BT Wholesale based service for one ISP is congested does not mean all of them are.
That is if its congestion and just not a WBC/21CN issue.

You need to find another Orange customer on the same exchange and compare notes, if they get good throughput 24/7 then most likely an issue with the specific handling of your line in the backhaul.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to