User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mews22
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:52:38
Print Post

Speed capping issue.

[link to this post]

I recently had a problem with Orange which is now thankfully fixed. However during their investigations of my problem, they asked me to take 3 speed tests from www.speedtester.bt.com at different times of the day and report back to them.

The results I got were pretty consistently the same as what I have posted below.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1806 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

I questioned them about the IP Profile for my line being 2000 Kbps and they waffled a bit and made a half-hearted attempt at blaming this on BT. Unfortunately I don't know any different, so I couldn't argue with them.

However a friend of mine was telling me that she thinks this 2k speed thing is set because our exchange is so old and not even scheduled for any up-grade for the next 10 years! Again I sort of accepted this excuse because I don't really know any better.

Then a relative of mine, who lives a few doors away from me (and also an Orange customer) was getting me to check a totally unrelated issue on his computer and I happened to run one of these speed tests. His results were entirely different from mine. He is getting about 6.5k speed And his IP Profile it says is set at 7k. Why are we both getting such different results when we virtually live a few doors from each other and are only about 2 streets away from where our exchange is?

Just going to add this information in case it's relevant. I am using a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router (just a few months old), my relative is using the router supplied by Orange (Netgear I think?). My router has been re-set a few times since I had the problem and still getting the same result.
Standard User Titan_ADSL
(committed) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:54:38
Print Post

Re: Speed capping issue.

[re: Mews22] [link to this post]

your profile is stuck at 2,000 just send orange the full results and they will be able to reset this for you and then your profile will raise to 7,150 and speeds should return to normal.

TitanADSL
Call 01332 412 180
Unlimited Broadband upto 8/24 Mbs, Phone & Broadband bundles upto 24Mbs, Fibre Broadband upto 40Mbs
www.titan-adsl.co.uk
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:56:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mews22:
Why are we both getting such different results when we virtually live a few doors from each other and are only about 2 streets away from where our exchange is?
Not because of this
However a friend of mine was telling me that she thinks this 2k speed thing is set because our exchange is so old and not even scheduled for any up-grade for the next 10 years!
Must be because your IP profile is stuck.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mews22
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-11 13:58:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. So just a call to their tech team or emailing them these results should get them to "unstick" it?

As I said, when I last challenged them about it they kinda waffled and blamed it on BT. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the technical side to argue with them.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:01:35
Print Post

I doubt it will be that easy.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Mews22
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:05:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I doubt it will be that easy.

Hmm, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Any suggestions of what I could do to get them to fix it?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:09:11
Print Post

Sorry, no.

But you may as well give it a go as it may work saying you have a stuck profile.

Standard User Mews22
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:16:42
Print Post

I take it it's something more difficult for them to fix with a quick phonecall? Will they have to send an engineer to the exchange?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:30:12
Print Post

they waffled a bit and made a half-hearted attempt at blaming this on BT.
That's cuz it's BT who now actually run Orange's BB, but you still need to complain to Orange.

They don't need to send an eng. to exchange, they just need to do a remote configuration.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Dec-11 14:33:59
Print Post

I take it it's something more difficult for them to fix with a quick phonecall? Will they have to send an engineer to the exchange?
No, it's just a request they have to make, but the difficulty is finding someone who knows what to do.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to