User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 14:04:21
Print Post

Orange Bright box wireless router

[link to this post]

Hi, anyone using or know about this new Orange Bright Box with USB port wireless router?

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/6...

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/6...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Mike_Williams
(member) Mon 23-Jan-12 10:13:12
Print Post

Re: Orange Bright box wireless router

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I have just signed up so maybe I will get one.

I will keep you all posted.

What is it based on? / Re-Bradged version of ???

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Demon Express Solo (Pipe:lon1-aj1e)
Line: Length 250 metres, Modem: Netgear DG834G

Connection Speed; Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
bRas Profile = 7150 kbps

After Tweaking (MTU=1500 Rwin=513920)
XP SP2 downloads @ 750KB/s

PC: Epox 8K7A+, Athalon XP1700+, 1GB DDR-266, 64MB ATI Radeon 7500, Windows XP SP2
Standard User glossywhite
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 00:40:18
Print Post

[re: Mike_Williams] [link to this post]

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t31206.html?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Jan-12 00:07:02
Print Post

Since Weds. I've had a very bad connection; frequent discons, high errors, NM oscillating between about 4 & -1, crackling on voice only with ADSL frown; on 2 routers, 2 filters, 2 ADSL cables.

Phoned Orange. These are the 3 diff immediate responses to my problem from 3 diff agents:
  • Factory reset router; as if!
  • As noise on voice, report line fault to BT, even tho' silent with ADSL unplugged
  • Sending latest router, the Bright Box; won't investigate until I've used that.
I'll let you know what this Bright Box is like.

In meantime BB has been up for 3 hours, longest today, with steady NM of 4.5 dB. smile. Wonder if they actually did something their end.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-12 11:05:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Since Weds. I've had a very bad connection; frequent discons, high errors, NM oscillating between about 4 & -1, crackling on voice only with ADSL frown; on 2 routers, 2 filters, 2 ADSL cables.

Phoned Orange. These are the 3 diff immediate responses to my problem from 3 diff agents:
  • Factory reset router; as if!
  • As noise on voice, report line fault to BT, even tho' silent with ADSL unplugged
  • Sending latest router, the Bright Box; won't investigate until I've used that.
I'll let you know what this Bright Box is like.

In meantime BB has been up for 3 hours, longest today, with steady NM of 4.5 dB. smile. Wonder if they actually did something their end.
I can sympathise with your experiences; last week my connection was not performing well it was running slow and at times would seize mid webpage loading, most frustrating.
Now this Sunday morning and I have done nothing to it, I am on a roller itís running fast just like when I was on Orange LLU. smile

2Wire 2700HGV router stats.
View Broadband Link Details
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 11473 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1165 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 9.0 dB (Downstream), 6.6 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 30.3 dB (Downstream), 11.6 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 20.7 dBm (Downstream), 12.3 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {IFTN} Specific: {0xBE71}

Thatís real interesting you being offered the Orange Bright Box router, yes let us know how you get on with it.
Donít take it apart though like this shocked -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22008695@N03/sets/72157...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Mike_Williams
(member) Mon 30-Jan-12 08:52:35
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Sadly I got the DGN1000 with the rubbish Orange firmware.
Couldn't get my wife's Vista laptop to connect at all.

Tried flashing the real DGN1000 firmware, seems to go ok, no errorrs, but on boot up no change to the firmware.

Reverted back good old trusty DG834G (v2), got good sync speed (approx 19000), but BT speed tester showed that my speed was limited to 8000.

Going to buy a Netgear DGN2200 today and fit that.

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Orange
Line: Length 250 metres, Modem: TBD

Connection Speed; Down: TBA kbps Up: TBA kbps
bRas Profile = TBA kbps

Edited by Mike_Williams (Mon 30-Jan-12 08:55:13)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Feb-12 23:24:25
Print Post

Been running one of these for a few hours now. Seems OK but is a bit early to assess. Line has been steady with it but so had it with Netgear DG834GT previously.

Has all the usual functionality, but know of no way to tweak NMs.

Has N wireless, of course. but I don't and it's supposed to do intelligent channel hopping. Don't yet know how successful this is; but it seems a bit laggardly.

It's one of those darned routers that shows your passwords in clear frown

Reporting higher Sync the my Netgear. Stats look like this:
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 888 (Kbps.)
Downstream 19661 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 14.2 dB 4.4 dB
Line Attenuation 12.6 dB 25.5 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 11.9 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 66010 0
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 201 0
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 6237 0
Error Seconds 126 0
Anything particular you want to know about it?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kmjw
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 11:14:17
Print Post

I have just got the new Orange Bright box wireless router and it hasn't been going well. The signal strength is excellent which is a big improvement compared to the Netgear router I just got rid of. However, I now find that when I connect to the intenet it had trouble loading pages and is really slow and frequently just freezes completely and I have to close it down. My laptop is very new and I didn't have this problem with the Netgear router. My boyfriends new laptop is doing exactly the same thing where it is almost impossible to surf the internet. However, strangely, my housemates 5 year old laptop is able to surf the internet with less problems.

I don't really know anything about broadband but I when I phoned Orange they said that the connection speed was pretty fast so it isn't a problem with that. But clearly there is a problem as it takes about 10seconds to load a page if it will load at all!

Can anyone help me???
Standard User glossywhite
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 15:39:17
Print Post

[re: kmjw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kmjw:
I have just got the new Orange Bright box wireless router and it hasn't been going well. The signal strength is excellent which is a big improvement compared to the Netgear router I just got rid of. However, I now find that when I connect to the intenet it had trouble loading pages and is really slow and frequently just freezes completely and I have to close it down. My laptop is very new and I didn't have this problem with the Netgear router. My boyfriends new laptop is doing exactly the same thing where it is almost impossible to surf the internet. However, strangely, my housemates 5 year old laptop is able to surf the internet with less problems.

I don't really know anything about broadband but I when I phoned Orange they said that the connection speed was pretty fast so it isn't a problem with that. But clearly there is a problem as it takes about 10seconds to load a page if it will load at all!

Can anyone help me???

Okay. Would you tell me by which means you, your boyfriend and your house mate are connecting to the Bright Box; wired or wireless? Please specify the method that *each* of you is using. Thanks.

You should also try the following:

1/ Turn off your PC.
2/ While PC is still off, hold in the Bright Box reset button for *exactly* 7 seconds, starting the count at "zero... one... two..." etc, up to 7.
3/ As the Bright Box is resetting, turn on your PC.
4/ Re-connect your PC to Bright Box, after around 5 mins.

If you would like, I'll gladly run through some diagnostics for you, which would mean remotely accessing your laptop temporarily, using "Team Viewer". Please do let me know if that would be helpful.

Hopefully this should resolve it. If this doesn't work, maybe someone else can provide insight.

NOTE: If all else fails, call 0800 294 5611 (Orange) and choose the tech support option, and ask them to send you a replacement. Orange are *very* good with regards to doing this. smile

God bless you smile

Edited by glossywhite (Thu 09-Feb-12 15:49:59)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 16:09:57
Print Post

[re: kmjw] [link to this post]

It's not aa BB issue but a wireless one.

Try changing wireless channel; maybe to same as the Netgear or d/load inSSIDer ro find a less congested one.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to